New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For starters, it amazes me how many people have not recognized that this is a 3D rendering of the logo. I mean, really, you could look at it and see that it was "tilted" or askew...

Next - why does a mascot have to impart fear, or be ferocious? I like "Pelicans" as a name or mascot (would like it better if Benson had surrendered it 20 years ago and let them call the baseball team the "Pelicans". But, fortunately, "Zephyrs" works with NOLA too). It is a symbol of the region and the sport scene of the city. If you have ever sat on the lake front or the Gulf and watch the pelicans fly and hunt, you would realize what a strong, majestic, beautiful creature they are. And, you don;t want to tick off a bird with an 8 foot wing span and a razor sharp beak,,, That said, I like the logo. THere may have been a few others I liked more inthat contest, but I think this one works well.

Next - does it really make a difference how many teams have red or white or blue? Diversity is nice, but, really, who cares (apparently many do...)? Did they sit around the baseball offices 75 years ago and lament that there were only two teams with orange and no green? Of course, everyone screamed in the 90s when they didn;t pick blue and went the teal and purple route...

Finally - has there ever been a logo that everyone liked? No, but there seems to be so much bashing going on on these boards lately. It's like no one is happy. They go to the Brooklyn extreme, and it's too boring. They go the way of the new Reading baseball team, and it's too radical. But, I guess that's why we have a forum: to voice your opinion. Just seems to be more whining lately...

NewOrleansPelicans_zps10defbd6.png

Looks like they're focusing COMPLETELY on the city name. Weird. Decent wordmark though. I'll live with it.

I like this alot the red color they are using seems to have some purple in it which differentiates from the rest of the red teams.

Something about the top of the logo is bothering me just can't put my finger on it yet.

The off-center Fleur-de-lis? Technically it isn't off-center, it just appears to be so due to the awkward wordmark.

Thats it!

Here are a few things that I think would improve the set.

1) Center the fleur-de-lis in the primary logo (do that by increasing its size to the width of the "R" in "New Orleans", and centering).

2) Get rid of the partial roundel at the bottom of the primary logo.

3) Change the shade of red to a more festive, pinkish red (more personality).

4) Standardize the "A". Look at the "A" in the "NOLA" logo, and then look at the "A" in the primary logo.

5) Get rid of the Bird-de-lis.

By the way, that "Crescent City Basketball" secondary is GENIUS. Look at how the position of the crescent basketball in the center creates yet another crescent!

I do not know what to think. Although the logo is generally cool, however I was expecting something more.

• I think that an alternative version Bird-De-Lis is very poor. The bird looks like a retard. The wings are not developed.
  • Top line in the "Fleur-De-Lis' is closer to the name than the bottom line
  • Logo is more suited to the Harley Club.
  • Hornets alweys be associated with nice warm colors and there is a very raw.
  • The name "Pelicans" too little exposed.
  • In the era of minimalism I think the logo is too "complex". It has too many elements.

That first thought.

Archived