New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Introducing the New Orleans Pelicans.....Really? That is the worst possible name they could have come up with. Nothing screams terror like a pelican [sarcasm]. I am just proud that I am not the only one who agrees that this is bad.

Because Cardinals, Packers, Knicks, Pacers, Twins, Orioles, Lakers, Clippers, Rockies, Browns, Jazz, Cubs, White Sox all instill terror....

Right. Team names don't have to be fierce. However, particularly with a non-fierce name, you don't need to use FIERCE ANIMAL HEAD as the logo. They could have made a logo that had a non-enraged pelican.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

So...they stole the old, LeBron era Cav's color scheme? Why cant the NBA get some original color combinations out there?

Well to be fair, the colors the Pelicans are using are the colors of the New Orleans flag so it's just an odd coincedence.

I dig the look, especially the fleur-de-lis.

True, other than the gold. The flag of New Orleans uses yellow instead of gold. But gold works better than yellow here.

gYH2mW9.png

mcc9sh.png

The "A" in these two logos really bug me (no pun intended), especially since they are at virtually the same angle, so it's not like the "A" in the primary wouldn't work in the "NOLA" logo.

Yeah, now that I see that, it bugs me too. I'm also a little bothered by the O in Orleans not being larger than the rest of the word, but it would throw things a lot of things off if that were the case.

mcc9sh.png

The "A" in these two logos really bug me (no pun intended), especially since they are at virtually the same angle, so it's not like the "A" in the primary wouldn't work in the "NOLA" logo.

Looks like they modified it to give the NOLA a rectangle effect instead of a rectangle with a corner missing.

Looks good the way they did it, on its own

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Introducing the New Orleans Pelicans.....Really? That is the worst possible name they could have come up with. Nothing screams terror like a pelican [sarcasm]. I am just proud that I am not the only one who agrees that this is bad.

Because Cardinals, Packers, Knicks, Pacers, Twins, Orioles, Lakers, Clippers, Rockies, Browns, Jazz, Cubs, White Sox all instill terror....

Right. Team names don't have to be fierce. However, particularly with a non-fierce name, you don't need to use FIERCE ANIMAL HEAD as the logo. They could have made a logo that had a non-enraged pelican.

So you would have preferred a "cute, smiley, Orioles-esque" pelican? I feel like you would have argued either way...

'Cans primary in the previous Creole colors:

NOP_mardi-gras_zpseacf2411.png

why didn't they go with this?!

(also thanks a lot dc in the house w/o doubt cause now all im gonna see is a bird with an afro)

Maybe because it's not as good? The new color scheme is awesome.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

mcc9sh.png

It doesn't bother me too much. I'm thinking the intent was to give the logo a symetrical look to it without having any empty blue space at the upper right had they used the pointed "A" from "New Orleans" in the "NOLA" logo.

gYH2mW9.png

Gonna miss that Creole Blue. It looks so gorgeous in person.

But I really like the new "Bird-de-lis".

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

So...they stole the old, LeBron era Cav's color scheme? Why cant the NBA get some original color combinations out there?

Well to be fair, the colors the Pelicans are using are the colors of the New Orleans flag so it's just an odd coincedence.

I dig the look, especially the fleur-de-lis.

True, other than the gold. The flag of New Orleans uses yellow instead of gold. But gold works better than yellow here.

They admitted in the press conference that the gold was used because of the Saints.

Archived