2013-14 Soccer kits

UnclearInitial

I dont know what is a bigger issue, this whole Everton thing or teams not using alternates when they should do. For example Fulham v Arsenal in light-dark-light(ish) and Sunderland v Spurs in the Asia cup in light-dark-dark. I always thought there was a long standing rule from back in the days of black and white TV where this was not allowed. Obviously not.

177575792.jpg

article-2375827-1AF88C6B000005DC-461_634

Although black and white TVs are not around anymore, I watch a lot of games from internet streams (mostly legally) and the picture quality isn't always that great. Spurs v Sunderland was a difficult game to watch.

Most people treat striped shirts as a solid color, so red stripes=red shirt. The Arsenal shirt was more about getting the shirt seen to sell more.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Premier League certainly appear to be a little more relaxed about these things than some other competitions (the Football League is apparently a fair bit tighter on their kit regulations). Ultimately though the referee can request a change on the day if he feels there's a problem, even if the kits for the match have been given the green light by the League.

Meanwhile, Brisbane Roar have unveiled their new clobber...

jemu.jpg

The orange one is the home, the plain/sash are the away and third respectively.

I think the sash is for the keeper. But I may be wrong.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I dont know what is a bigger issue, this whole Everton thing or teams not using alternates when they should do. For example Fulham v Arsenal in light-dark-light(ish) and Sunderland v Spurs in the Asia cup in light-dark-dark. I always thought there was a long standing rule from back in the days of black and white TV where this was not allowed. Obviously not.

Although black and white TVs are not around anymore, I watch a lot of games from internet streams (mostly legally) and the picture quality isn't always that great. Spurs v Sunderland was a difficult game to watch.

Most people treat striped shirts as a solid color, so red stripes=red shirt. The Arsenal shirt was more about getting the shirt seen to sell more.

On the field level there is no doubt that these combinations do not cause issue to the players or the referee, it's just that Premier League football is a massive spectator sport - as in millions tune in worldwide (and TV money is the main source of income for most clubs). You would expect spectator viewing to be heavily taken into account because of this.

There was no real issue with Fulham v Arsenal due to it being in colour, but I would say watching Tottenham v Sunderland in those colours from an internet stream* caused more than a dozen occasions where I misidentified strikers and defenders which can be stressful for a moment or two.

*I was in work. The game was being shown on Sky Sports, which I have a subscription to so I was watching it off of their website. The stream was a good quality but the weather there was horrendous. Only adding to the problem.

299802_heroa.jpg

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

177575792.jpg

article-2375827-1AF88C6B000005DC-461_634

Stripes vs plain has always been ok. On TV it's an easy enough spot to make. As for white sleeves vs white shirt, more often than not Spurs vs Arsenal is white shirt vs white sleeves. Occasionally they have used away kits, but rarely. Often the choice of away kit is more to do with contracts with the manufacturer. The manufacturer will stipulate the kit being worn at least a number of times. The team will pick certain games to change in, prioritising when there is a bona fide clash.

I would imagine that in the pre season Spurs vs Sunderland game, both teams wanted to market the new home kit, so with a relatively minor clash, neither side changed.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Often the choice of away kit is more to do with contracts with the manufacturer. The manufacturer will stipulate the kit being worn at least a number of times. The team will pick certain games to change in, prioritising when there is a bona fide clash.

Yep, sometimes manufacturers will insist on away kits being worn a certain number of times a season - particularly with clubs where there's not usually cause to wear the alternative strip that often.

However, sometimes there's a more mundane reason for away kits being worn when there's not really a need to avoid a clash. Clubs further down the pecking order often only have couple of player issue sets of each kit, and if you have a home match at the weekend and an away match mid-week the kitman may prefer to use different strips even if there's strictly no need - if he's using the same kit in both he can't get prepared until the first match has been played, so it can be a tall order to check, replace, wash and transport a full team's worth of clobber within a day or two.

socks have to clash and Arsenal uses white socks with this set.

Yeah, but in recent years they've worn red at White Hart Lane even though white has long been their first choice.

Socks can't clash in the EPL and UEFA/FIFA.

Both Arsenal and Sp*rs wear white with their home set, so when they play each other, the visiting team wears their clash socks. Sp*rs - Navy, The Arse - Red.

jemu.jpg

I think the sash is for the keeper. But I may be wrong.

The sash kit is officially termed the "event" kit for special occasions presumably. They're templated yes, but still the A-league's best kits by some distance.

liverpool-1.png

socks have to clash and Arsenal uses white socks with this set.

Yeah, but in recent years they've worn red at White Hart Lane even though white has long been their first choice.

Socks can't clash in the EPL and UEFA/FIFA.

Both Arsenal and Sp*rs wear white with their home set, so when they play each other, the visiting team wears their clash socks. Sp*rs - Navy, The Arse - Red.

FWIW, socks and Shorts cannot be the same colour in the Premier League or UEFA/FIFA contests. Same goes with Goalkeepers sleeves having to be a different colour than the two outfield kits. This is mainly for the referees benefit when two players slide in for a close tackle, so he can see who got the ball and who didnt - so he can call a foul. The goalkeeper sleeves is so that he can tell if someone comes and punches the ball that it is the goalkeeper who is allowed to or an outfield player who isnt and so would be handball.

Saying that, Spurs home socks this season are technically Navy. We do however wear all white in European competitions so do have white shorts and socks available so expect to see them at some point this season - definitely when we are at Old Trafford.

Spurs have changed between white and navy socks over the years, although white has been more common. Spoliered due to large image:

Tottenham.png

The Premier League certainly appear to be a little more relaxed about these things than some other competitions (the Football League is apparently a fair bit tighter on their kit regulations). Ultimately though the referee can request a change on the day if he feels there's a problem, even if the kits for the match have been given the green light by the League.

jemu.jpg

As my hometown team its not too bad better than what the adidas template would look like for the Roars uniform.

I was at the North London Derby last weekend - aren't white socks standard for Spurs? They wore navy on Sunday, I thought to reduce the amount of white against the predominantly-white Arsenal. Was really hoping the Gunners would break out their red instead.

Spurs home socks are navy this season anyway. Their sock colour is somewhat of a moveable feast.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Not bad, I reckon. You do see stuff like skylines incorporated into kits from time to time but it's nice to see it done in an abstract way like this. Hopefully it won't be spoilt with large sponsor patches.

Meanwhile, a little kit-based development - Feyenoord have announced they'll be wearing Adidas kits from next season onwards.

I like that Santos kit. It has a feeling of the Man City "soundwave" shirt. A unique design to the club/city that does not go overboard and ruin the shirt. I am worried, like Jaffa, about the sponsor logos being plastered everywhere though.

What are the odds that Feyenoord and Sunderland are identical next season - minus sponsor logos and club crest etc.

What are the odds that Feyenoord and Sunderland are identical next season - minus sponsor logos and club crest etc.

Feyenoord will be in their classic halved shirts of course, but it's a fair bet it'll be based on a much used template.

Feyenoord will be in their classic halved shirts of course, but it's a fair bet it'll be based on a much used template.

In my massively attentative state in work I managed to confuse Feyenoord and PSV. Whoops.

Archived