2013-14 Soccer kits

UnclearInitial

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all this talk of the USA not having a set identity, I'd argue we do. The kits haven't always had a single look, but I'd say the biggest wins in our soccer history have come in white with navy trim. The red/white stripes is nice but feels forced, IMO. Donovan's goal vs Algeria, the 09 Confed Cup, just about every big match vs Mexico I can remember (including 2002 WC)... all in white. Would it placate the "looks like England" crowd if the USA stuck with white shorts? I'd say the US looks best in all-white at home, red top/navy shorts clash.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I think the best the US has looked by far is the red and white hoops with navy shorts. You can instantly tell it's the US, hoops in general are unique in international soccer, and it just looks good. I really hope the World Cup kits stick with the hoops.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Apparently they're very keen on socks and shorts matching the shirts, a shame as in general I like a bit of contrast between the various kit elements.

Anyway, here's something new - a limited edition Lazio home shirt from Macron...

lqx2.jpg

To be worn in a single match - against Fiorentina in October - the shirt commemorates what would have been the 100th birthday of Italian football legend Silvio Piola.

Another commemorative shirt, this time from South America - Club Nacional de Football are marking 110 years since Uruguay’s first international win with this shirt...

nl3b.jpg

The Uruguay team was made up entirely of Club Nacional players, hence their choosing to mark the anniversary.

I like it aside from the faux collar - if you're wanting to have a flappy collar, have a proper flappy collar. Tsk.

Another commemorative shirt, this time from South America - Club Nacional de Football are marking 110 years since Uruguays first international match win with this shirt...

nl3b.jpg

The Uruguay team was made up entirely of Club Nacional players, hence their choosing to mark the anniversary.

I like it aside from the faux collar - if you're wanting to have a flappy collar, have a proper flappy collar. Tsk.

Agreed. Faux collars are becoming something of a nasty infection. Needs stamping out.

Also not a great fan of celebrating 110th anniversaries.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Apparently they're very keen on socks and shorts matching the shirts, a shame as in general I like a bit of contrast between the various kit elements.

Anyway, here's something new - a limited edition Lazio home shirt from Macron...

lqx2.jpg

To be worn in a single match - against Fiorentina in October - the shirt commemorates what would have been the 100th birthday of Italian football legend Silvio Piola.

That would look good with white shorts, but only white shorts.

That means they'll probably be blue.

If the rumors are to be believed though, FIFA are really pushing monochrome kits for the 2014 World Cup. Hope we keep the hoops though.

They pushed that at 2010 World Cup as well. For some teams it looks good. For green teams,( Algeria, Ireland and Iraq) it would look ugly.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1236845_626782567380715_556844835_n.jpg Is this a champions league specific midlayer? I hadn't seen this template before, but I didn't think Nike did specific CL stuff like some of the other mfgs.

No DHL logo on there. I'd imagine some kind of ECL specific training gear.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

1236845_626782567380715_556844835_n.jpg Is this a champions league specific midlayer? I hadn't seen this template before, but I didn't think Nike did specific CL stuff like some of the other mfgs.

No DHL logo on there. I'd imagine some kind of ECL specific training gear.

Aon is the training kit supplier this year. It seems that unless the sponsor directly sponsors the Champions League teams aren't allowed to wear them on sideline gear. At least the attempt to make everyone wear a set font for names and numbers didn't stick.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

It seems that unless the sponsor directly sponsors the Champions League teams aren't allowed to wear them on sideline gear. At least the attempt to make everyone wear a set font for names and numbers didn't stick.

When did the Champions League do that?
it's been that way the past two seasons. That's why I figured it came down from UEFA. I haven't seen an actual statement saying it was required.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I think you may be confused. The Champions League does not have a standardized font.

Here's last year's final at Wembley:

roman-weidenfeller-2013-uefa-champions-l

And from this year, Arsenal's match at Fenerbahce (the only time the Gunners wore blue shorts with their red-and-white shirt):

2390392832-AP726939633073-Arsenal-hammer

article-2399211-1B6639EE000005DC-742_634

Most teams have a special CL font they use, but they're all different. Some are custom for each team, some are standard manufacturer fonts, but they're not mandated by UEFA.

Archived