2013-14 Soccer kits

UnclearInitial

So why did Warrior get chosen over Macron for bigger name teams again?

$

True enough.

Kit manufacturers bid on the contracts. Liverpool was getting £12 million a year from Adidas under their old contract, and then Warrior came in and blew them away with £25 million a year guaranteed. Pretty easy choice for Liverpool.

Also John Henry's link to Warrior. Not so much cash, in fact as throwing your mates a contract.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may seem like a dumb question but I am going to ask anyway. I've just gotten into European football and begun collecting jerseys when I am in a particular country. I'm already up to six from three different leagues.

My question is this...I want to order a Premier League jersey and have it customized but am curious as to what material the numbers and letters are made out of. Are they plastic, felt or tackle twill? I can't get a sense of what they are either from pictures or from television so I'm hoping someone here has the answer.

$

True enough.

Kit manufacturers bid on the contracts. Liverpool was getting £12 million a year from Adidas under their old contract, and then Warrior came in and blew them away with £25 million a year guaranteed. Pretty easy choice for Liverpool.

Also John Henry's link to Warrior. Not so much cash, in fact as throwing your mates a contract.

So Liverpool went with Warrior because of Henry's buddy, but the buddy threw in an extra $13M per year for the hell of it?

This may seem like a dumb question but I am going to ask anyway. I've just gotten into European football and begun collecting jerseys when I am in a particular country. I'm already up to six from three different leagues.

My question is this...I want to order a Premier League jersey and have it customized but am curious as to what material the numbers and letters are made out of. Are they plastic, felt or tackle twill? I can't get a sense of what they are either from pictures or from television so I'm hoping someone here has the answer.

The MLS and most other leagues use screen printed numbers. BPL uses a material called Lextra which allows the numbers and badges to feel like felt and they puff up and appear to be sewn on.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

$

True enough.

So Liverpool went with Warrior because of Henry's buddy, but the buddy threw in an extra $13M per year for the hell of it?
Just for the hell of it seemed to be the theme to that redesign.

I was watching the Manchester Derby earlier today and I noticed that the NOB on City's shirts are straight. Has that ever been done before?

Yep, they've used straight NOBs on their shirts for quite a while...

0uov.jpg

The MLS and most other leagues use screen printed numbers. BPL uses a material called Lextra which allows the numbers and badges to feel like felt and they puff up and appear to be sewn on.

Lextra is indeed the material used on player shirts and some replicas, but many replicas use a vinyl version - the latter are cheaper and generally quicker and easier to apply, so many club shops and retailers use these as their numbers of choice.

These vinyl versions are fully licensed by the Premier League and everything, but aren't totally authentic compared to the proper player issue numbers. If you're looking at picking up a shirt or two tp49, it might be worthwhile just double checking exactly which version they're using.

I was watching the Manchester Derby earlier today and I noticed that the NOB on City's shirts are straight. Has that ever been done before?

Yep, they've used straight NOBs on their shirts for quite a while...

0uov.jpg

The style guide seems to imply straight names for set-in sleeves and arched for raglan, although it seems to make allowances for individual considerations - I can't read the text very well on my phone.

lettering.jpg

I know we've always had our NOBs done in the curved style ever since the Football League added names in the 1999/2000 season, irrespective of the style of the shirt - that's through the two different styles the Football League have used in that time as well as the current Premier League styling. So either is perfectly acceptable, and it seems to be a style choice made by the individual clubs.

In actual fact, I read an interview with Hull City's kitman which suggested that - amongst other things - the choice to use curved NOBs on our shirts isn't made by him but rather by the staff printing shirts in the club shop!

Lextra is indeed the material used on player shirts and some replicas, but many replicas use a vinyl version - the latter are cheaper and generally quicker and easier to apply, so many club shops and retailers use these as their numbers of choice.

These vinyl versions are fully licensed by the Premier League and everything, but aren't totally authentic compared to the proper player issue numbers. If you're looking at picking up a shirt or two tp49, it might be worthwhile just double checking exactly which version they're using.

Good point. I normally order the authentic numbers because they look a lot better over time. But soccer.com and other soccer web sites sell the other numbers as well.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Thank you both for that information. Reason I asked was because I had ordered an Aston Villa jersey from sportsdirect in the UK. Since the price was very, very good I decided to deck it out with Premier League badges and a player name and number. I received it Friday and it was the vinyl licensed lettering. Since it's a replica I'm fine with it and in fact I quite like the jersey. I have an Everton and a Chelsea jersey I'd like to have done as well so now I know to look for Lextra lettering when searching for a place to get the customization done. I'm hoping there's a place here in the states that can do it because having to send the jerseys to the UK might be a little on the expensive side.

I prefer a slight curve. A straight NOB makes the shirt look too square at the shoulders, if the name is a longer one. Suits a hockey jersey sure...not a football shirt though IMO.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Swindon Town has two primary sponsors. The field players are wearing Samsung while the keeper has FIFA 14 on his shirt. I know they're sponsored by both but I'm surprised they didn't have the keeper wear a shirt with the same sponsor as everyone else.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived