2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

I don't believe any team still uses this type of piping. Trying to remember...I believe the Panthers did. The Preds did.

Preds and Blues do:

Predators12.pngBlues27.png

At the very least, on Nashville's home and St Louis' road, it's not too visible because it's white on gold/gold on white.

-BigBubba

Few things: Again, as I tried to illustrate, this is NOT the same exact piping that the Avs use. If nothing else, it uses the little swatch of color (navy for the Preds/ white for the Blues -- home jerseys) to the sides of the collar so the piping does not just go straight down.

The Avs' piping is the most narrow of the piping and, as you can see, it even plows through the C and A letters. Inexcusable. I realize it's only a subtle difference, but it's not the same. Still ugly, not the same.

Also: despite it being an ugly template, and despite the fact that the Blues have better uniforms to refer back to, I think the piping works for them, if for nothing else than to be symbolic of the St. Louis Arch/ Gateway to the West, etc.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe any team still uses this type of piping. Trying to remember...I believe the Panthers did. The Preds did.

Preds and Blues do:

At the very least, on Nashville's home and St Louis' road, it's not too visible because it's white on gold/gold on white.

-BigBubba

Few things: Again, as I tried to illustrate, this is NOT the same exact piping that the Avs use. If nothing else, it uses the little swatch of color (navy for the Preds/ white for the Blues -- home jerseys) to the sides of the collar so the piping does not just go straight down.

The Avs' piping is the most narrow of the piping and, as you can see, it even plows through the C and A letters. Inexcusable. I realize it's only a subtle difference, but it's not the same. Still ugly, not the same.

Also: despite it being an ugly template, and despite the fact that the Blues have better uniforms to refer back to, I think the piping works for them, if for nothing else than to be symbolic of the St. Louis Arch/ Gateway to the West, etc.

Doesn't the Blues template also "plow right through the C / A?"

MKVlC1y.jpg

Preds and Blues do:

-BigBubba

Doesn't the Blues template also "plow right through the C / A?"

MKVlC1y.jpg

The colour swatches below the piping do, but not the piping itself

Great article on icethetics about new Wild jerseys. According to the article, Wild wanted primary logo and lace up collar from the very beginning.

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2013/9/2/behind-the-wilds-new-sweater.html

Good for them. That was the right choice.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Great article on icethetics about new Wild jerseys. According to the article, Wild wanted primary logo and lace up collar from the very beginning.

Two more tidbits.

1. They considered a wheat colored jersey

2. They like that the jerseys are all different and don't plan on making anymore changes for a while.

Two more tidbits.

1. They considered a wheat colored jersey

2. They like that the jerseys are all different and don't plan on making anymore changes for a while.

That's great feedback and access to get. The Wild rep certainly was generous to give that time to his site.

I get the sense that Minnesota has some bright people on their creative/marketing side. Has their player development/ success on the ice matched? Nope, but when it all comes together, it'll be nice to see.

0901-min-wheat.png
It's really too bad that that jersey wouldn't have worked because that is gorgeous.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Minnesota's new jersey would look better if it was wheat instead of clean white. Their home and alternate jerseys have no white in them so why not keep it consistent throughout the set? It wouldn't be the first time fans in Minnesota have seen a team hit the ice in wheat:

AllStar04.png

Because I don't know if the league would approve it being a different color from the other 29 teams. ASG jerseys are gear for a special occasion, so it's understandable that rules can be stretched out a bit. And a point that I consider very important is what color would the helmet be? I don't see them being allowed to wear a colored helmet on the road, and the standard white helmet would look hideous worn with cream jerseys and green shorts. If a wheat road jersey was ever truly considered, they had many stumbling blocks in front of them.

Well according to the latest Icethetics article they "seriously considered" using wheat as a base, so I figure that the NHL would be alright with it. They could do a wheat helmet if they weren't allowed to use green.

I think vintage white/cream/beige/off-white/whatever would have worked if it were just a shade or two lighter. Probably couldn't do the dark green yoke with it, either; with Not Quite White you probably need to minimize extraneous dark fabric like that.

As for what you would do with the helmet...you would make it the same color.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I hate that wheat color. And I especially hate how it is being used in so many winter classic jerseys now.

Well, better get used to it this year, we're looking at possibly 11 new sweaters (9 not counting Det/Tor)

The Kings are going with the pencil tip logo at center ice this year. I liked the Crown a lot better.

https://twitter.com/BaileyLAKings/status/374661528512757760/photo/1

And that'll probably be their only reputable logo for years to come, because they won the cup with them.

This team hasn't got any aspect of design right since the late 90's, except for the post-edge crown logo.

0901-min-wheat.png

It's really too bad that that jersey wouldn't have worked because that is gorgeous.

So if they fully followed along the trend, that means the bear head would have to made of wool.

Also, the logo looks a bit washed out with a wheat trim on a wheat background. What the team has been doing with all of their jerseys lately is make the logos "pop" on the appropriate background color. Here's the conflict: a wheat jersey could work and would probably go over with the fans. However, since the bear head looks bad on wheat, they would of needed to go with a green "Minnesota" baseball script for the road, leaving the team without their primary logo on any of their jerseys. Something that both fans and management wanted. So there's the conflict.

Definitely glad they didn't go with the wheat. A white jersey is much more slick and polished. You can't beat it. The wheat that the Wild use is fine, just so that its limited to the amount that it is in the logo.. ie an accent colour.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

It's really a shame this organization has no plans on making any further changes after knocking it clear out the park with their new road jersey. Both their green and red jerseys already look like dated products of the edge rollout for the following reasons...
Red Home
Like most pre-edge designs, this jersey took a significant hit during it's conversion to the edge uniform system. The tapered sleeves stripes look terrible as does the completely unnecessary phantom shoulder yoke. The roundel doesn't work as a primary crest (the full bear head would look much better) and the lack of hem stripes puts it firmly in the class of 2007 which is not a good thing. I would like to see this jersey vanquished as soon as possible. If they must wear red at home, make a new design with wheat striping carried over from the new away. Put the bear on the front and the roundel on the shoulders for consistency.

Green Alternate
I understand that Minnesota has a great hockey heritage but what is the point in having a design modelled after early 1900's trends when your going to ruin it with an element not seen on jerseys until 2007? The striping doesn't even match the new away so if they were to make this the home, there would still be a consistency issue.

71if.png

In closing, kudos to the Wild for finally coming out with a good design for the first time since 2003... Time for them to take the next step.

I think the red and green could both work as an alternate, but they are lacking a solid home primary.

Red Home
Like most pre-edge designs, this jersey took a significant hit during it's conversion to the edge uniform system. The tapered sleeves stripes look terrible as does the completely unnecessary phantom shoulder yoke. The roundel doesn't work as a primary crest (the full bear head would look much better) and the lack of hem stripes puts it firmly in the class of 2007 which is not a good thing. I would like to see this jersey vanquished as soon as possible. If they must wear red at home, make a new design with wheat striping carried over from the new away. Put the bear on the front and the roundel on the shoulders for consistency.

I actually prefer this red jersey to the original. The sleeves are the main reason. The original seemingly had a green box on each sleeve. I like how the phantom yoke shapes the green on the current sleeve. I totally agree with you on the lack of a hem stripe, but I just hated the sleeve on the original so much...
Nevertheless, with the circle logo on the front, it really should not be the primary. The primary home jersey should have the large bear head crest; and I agree that at this point, they should try to match the away. If they had a green jersey matching the away jersey, I do think this could serve as an alt.

Most fans don't really recognize the difference between the original and current red...and as beloved as it/they were for a few years, facebook comments during the recent previews tell me that it has fallen out of favor with the fans...

Green Alternate
I understand that Minnesota has a great hockey heritage but what is the point in having a design modelled after early 1900's trends when your going to ruin it with an element not seen on jerseys until 2007? The striping doesn't even match the new away so if they were to make this the home, there would still be a consistency issue.

...while the fans love this piece of crap.

Because the script is so popular, I was relieved to see the bear head on the new road jersey. I don't like the script and I have hope that the fan base gets sick of it some day and keeps it love for the great primary logo.

This would make for an OK alternate (particularly if worn about 5 times per year) given the hockey culture in Minnesota. While I dislike script crests, by big issue is that red is part of the color scheme and they almost ignore it. Removing or almost removing key colors from jerseys is not my favorite trend right now. The primaries use plenty of both green and red and so should the alt.

---

Ultimately I would like to see them end up with a green primary that matches the road jersey...green primiaries are so much less common than red. And then a red alt; maybe the current red or else something new. But I imagine they'll offer new versions of all three colors as often as possible without truly establishing a direction; and why not when the fans gobble it all up some much.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived