2013 NCAA FOOTBALL THREAD

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

You know, if Mariotta wasn't hurt tonight could have been different. Just throwing that out there.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, if Mariotta wasn't hurt tonight could have been different. Just throwing that out there.

14 points last year, 14 points this year.

Mariota's health isn't the issue. Oregon playing a physical team is the problem.

Exactly. Everyone can see that if you smack Oregon in the mouth and play physical football, they will fold like a lawn chair.

Also, a game like tonight really hurt Oregon's bid because I'd say a larger portion of America (especially out in the East) stayed up to watch this game and were highly disappointed...which is usually the cry from Oregon/Pac10 fans as to why they get no love in the polls ("East coast voters don't stay up late enough").

I mean, dear Lord would them losing on Saturday at high noon to Wake Forest be one of the most awesome developments of the season,

I wish I had a CS85-like plethora of gifs to show you how far fetched an idea like that is.(But I like the optimism)

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Why are people acting like Oregon folding against a physical defense and good running game is some new development? It's been the common denominator in pretty much all their recent big-game losses. Until they start emphasizing defense in their recruiting and valuing time of posession and ball control over speed, this is going to keep happening to them every year.

Another problem Oregon is facing is that they've lost the innovation factor. So many programs are ripping off Oregon's offense now that it's only a matter of time now before most defensive coordinators figure out how to stop it.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I mean, dear Lord would them losing on Saturday at high noon to Wake Forest be one of the most awesome developments of the season,

I wish I had a CS85-like plethora of gifs to show you how far fetched an idea like that is.(But I like the optimism)

There's a friend of mine who attended UF for undergraduate studies and Wake Forest for law school studies, so I'd love for Wake to pull the upset especially for him.

That said, as you alluded to (and like any college football fan with a smidgen of common sense), there's virtually no chance of that happening.

spacer.png

Why are people acting like Oregon folding against a physical defense and good running game is some new development? It's been the common denominator in pretty much all their recent big-game losses. Until they start emphasizing defense in their recruiting and valuing time of posession and ball control over speed, this is going to keep happening to them every year.

Another problem Oregon is facing is that they've lost the innovation factor. So many programs are ripping off Oregon's offense now that it's only a matter of time now before most defensive coordinators figure out how to stop it.

This is why Baylor is so much better than Oregon. For a while they were in a physical game with Oklahoma, even were down 5-3 at one point in the second quarter. Rather than trying to only play their biggest strengths, they adapted, toughened up and took it to the Sooners.

Oregon never adapted to the game Stanford was forcing them into and that's why they lost.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Oregon = Tiger Woods from the mid-2000s, right after his "peak". The best front-runner ever if you let him/them get the lead, but if they can't start fast then trouble can ensue...

(potential homer alert) Out of the undefeateds left, for Alabama, the only one I would worry about them playing is Baylor. They just run track with a football as a baton. (/homer)

That being said, gotta beat LSU Saturday night first. I'm going to say Bama wins by 10 in a game that my stomach is never comfortable during.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Alabama to the BCS Game

Florida State to the BCS Game

Michigan State to the Rose Bowl

Stanford to the Rose Bowl

Fresno State to the Fiesta

Baylor to the Fiesta

Clemson to the Orange

Oregon to the Orange

Mizzo/Auburn/A&M/LSU/SouthCarolina to the Sugar

Ohio State to the Sugar

honorable mentions: Mizzo/Auburn/A&M/LSU/SouthCarolina, UCF/Louisville, UCLA and Oklahoma

2013RoseBowlPNGsg_zps49cea191.png

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

FC BAYERN MUNCHEN-MICHIGAN STATE-THE DETROIT FOUR-WASHINGTON REDSKINS-LA LAKERS

Alabama to the BCS Game

Baylor to the Fiesta

Clemson to the Orange

Oregon to the Orange

Ohio State to the Sugar

honorable mentions: Mizzo/Auburn/A&M/LSU/SouthCarolina, UCF/Louisville, UCLA and Oklahoma

Nice try.

The American still has an automatic BCS bid, so UCF/Houston/Louisville MUST to be in your list of BCS teams and not Honorable Mention.

Alabama to the BCS Game

Baylor to the Fiesta

Clemson to the Orange

Oregon to the Orange

Ohio State to the Sugar

Nice try.

The American still has an automatic BCS bid, so UCF/Houston/Louisville MUST to be in your list of BCS teams and not Honorable Mention.

You can't expect a Sparty to do homework or pay attention.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There's a friend of mine who attended UF for undergraduate studies and Wake Forest for law school studies, so I'd love for Wake to pull the upset especially for him.

That said, as you alluded to (and like any college football fan with a smidgen of common sense), there's virtually no chance of that happening.

Nah, it's not impossible. Wake has actually had one of the better successes against FSU, especially at home, in the ACC. But win percentage for this game, probably about 5%.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

After the two title game team's spots are replaced, the picking order for the bowls is Orange, Sugar, then Fiesta.

Honestly as much as I like Fresno State finally getting their own shot at a BCS bowl, I'd have to think they'd be below Louisville when it comes to picking. Frenso would have to be higher than UCF, I guess, because I mean... UCF. Houston throws another wrench in this thing too, because despite not being ranked they are leading the AAC right this second. In terms of picking for the last two spots (because it's not just straight rankings, it's who the bowl committee thinks would sell the most tickets for their game), it'd probably go Louisville, Houston, Fresno, UCF, Northern Illinois.

If I had to pick right now, though:

BCS - Alabama (#1, SEC) / Florida State (#2, ACC)

Rose - Stanford (Pac-12) / Ohio State (Big Ten)

Orange - Clemson (#2 at-large replacement) / Oregon (#1 at-large choice)

Sugar - Mizzou (#1 at-large replacement) / Houston (AAC, #2 at-large choice)

Fiesta - Baylor (Big 12) / Fresno State (#3 at-large choice)

The only one there that I'm not solid with is the Sugar choosing Mizzou. Yes, they're the higher ranked reamining SEC team, but you know that the Sugar Bowl would prefer having Auburn or LSU for ticket-selling purposes. I could also see the Orange Bowl skipping Clemson in favor of Miami for the same reason. And I don't know if I see Houston staying where they are, but that's how it is right this second. Obviously, there's still a ton of games that would shuffle the at-large rankings (LSU/Alabama, LSU/Texas A&M, Auburn/Alabama, Mizzou/Texas A&M, Miami/FSU ACC title game, Alabama/whoever SEC title game, Houston/UCF, Houston/Louisville), but that's where it'd be right now.

And the if there was a tie at the top of the conference, the highest ranked team gets the bid right? So if Houston beats UCF, and Louisville beats Houston, Louisville would probably get the AAC bid at the end, right?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived