That was a weird, weird feeling. Hell, it still is.

The American section in the stadium was definitely leaning pro-Panamanian, especially when they went up 2-1 and Costa Rica had done the same. Heading into stoppage time, it looked like Panama City was about to become the biggest party in the world... and then that happened. It was a mausoleum in there. I felt so bad for them.

Walking off the field and into the clubhouse it looked like all the Panamania players could barely walk and wanted to crawl into a ball and cry. I am sure in the locker there was much despair and tears.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts from last night:

Why did the fourth official run onto the field and physically move the US players away from the Panamanians? What did her and FIFA think would happen? US players gloating over the victory?

The US does not play soccer/football like the rest of the world. They subscribe to the Herm Edwards philosophy "You play the game to win." They subscribe to the NASCAR mandate of going 100% all of the time. Yes, a loss would have cost Mexico the playoff spot, but Americans don't do that. There will never be a hint of match fixing with them, that's for sure!

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

That's the funny part about last night. The Americans basically saving their rival from missing out altogether and still pulling off the win on the road when they had nothing to play for and Panama had everything at stake. It's weird, but it worked.

As for Mexico: They need some offense and fast. 7 goals in 10 games during the last round isn't going to cut it when their opponent (New Zealand) managed to score 17 in their qualifying group... OK, so New Zealand had the bottom feeders of the world in their group and hasn't been in a World Cup Qualifying game since March, but the point is still there.

The US plays selfish, they played in the moment for themselves and won. Maybe Panama should've gone 8-2-1 after their goal. Zusi got a strong headed and tied it. Johannsson's goal was because Panama was heart broken.

People were pissed that the US did that to Panama, but it's not their job to help others make the World Cup.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The US plays selfish, they played in the moment for themselves and won. Maybe Panama should've gone 8-2-1 after their goal. Zusi got a strong headed and tied it. Johannsson's goal was because Panama was heart broken.

People were pissed that the US did that to Panama, but it's not their job to help others make the World Cup.

All day on football/soccer cablecasts and forums, people used "integrity" when talking about the US. Yes, the US did not think about keeping Mexico out, but played the game, as they should have.

Granted, Panama isn't the most gifted of teams, but the US won a game on another country's home soil in a game where the home team absolutely needed a win. I don't think the US put their starting eleven on the field, but they showed what they're made of.

This could be important come World Cup time, when every team will be playing like tomorrow's not guaranteed.

To me, this "integrity" talk is just a bunch of BS. There was no "right way" for the United States to play that game. They had clinched their spot in the World Cup Finals, hell, they had won the group altogether with a game to spare, so they had the right to play that game however they wanted to.

They went out and played to win, and they did. They took no prisoners. They wanted the three points regardless of their meaning. Good for them; I'm not going to criticize them for wanting to win a soccer game. At the end of the day, when you step between the lines on a playing surface, you're not worrying about what else is going on somewhere else on the planet - hermedwards_youplaytowinthegame.gif.

But "integrity"? Give me a freaking break. The United States didn't owe it to ANYONE to play that game a specific way.

spacer.png

To me, this "integrity" talk is just a bunch of BS. There was no "right way" for the United States to play that game. They had clinched their spot in the World Cup Finals, hell, they had won the group altogether with a game to spare, so they had the right to play that game however they wanted to.

They went out and played to win, and they did. They took no prisoners. They wanted the three points regardless of their meaning. Good for them; I'm not going to criticize them for wanting to win a soccer game. At the end of the day, when you step between the lines on a playing surface, you're not worrying about what else is going on somewhere else on the planet - hermedwards_youplaytowinthegame.gif.

But "integrity"? Give me a freaking break. The United States didn't owe it to ANYONE to play that game a specific way.

Yes, they did. They showed FIFA that NO ONE fixes matches when the US plays!

It would appear that Orlando is the front-runner to land Major League Soccer's 21st franchise.

MLS coming to Orlando if county stadium vote is approved

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-mls-orlando-coming-vote-20131021,0,5896068.story

Orange County commissioners approve soccer stadium

http://www.wesh.com/news/central-florida/orange-county/will-orange-co-commissioners-vote-to-approve-soccer-stadium/-/12978032/22556334/-/kfgc6tz/-/index.html

It remains to be seen if they'll keep the same name/branding; at the least I can hope they keep the purple, so that they're unique in MLS... and that they redesign that logo.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived