Kentucky Football New Unis

redlegs420

If i saw a jersey on ebay or in a store, with numbers on the back like the 'throwback' ......

fb_061104_uniforms_backs_400x200.jpg

.....id think it was a horribly done fake. Lookit how goofy tall the numbers are... looks like it was cut by hand out of felt or somehting. Or photoshopped on.

And can someone tell the the signifigance fo the 'blob' that is on the side of the pants and jersey? "Hey, the traditional UK Blob!"

bleh. Nike is ruining jerseys.

I hate Nike.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

the regulars are okay, they remind me of an unfinished version of Michigan State's 2002 unis. the throwback, if that in fact is one, is the best of em despite it looking like a bad Johnny U ripoff.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The back of that throwback (super tall, rounded numbers) reminds me of those Negro League replica jerseys.

As for the rest, I don't particularly like them (the blob and those stupid thin stripes) but they're not terrible.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Yes, the middle one looks too much like the Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

The white jerseys seems to be a different shade of white than the pants (which look like more of a cream). The blue jersey looks like someone put a slightly lighter blue "pinny" (as we called them in gym class) over a dark blue jersey. Thumbs down.

To me, the regular blue jerseys look like a blue shirt with a blue basketball practice jersey over them.

That's exactly what it looks like. The pinny remark, too.

go to the site Pantone linked and look at the uniform PDF. You can really tell what these unis look like using that. I hate the thin piping on the seams. You see that A LOT in soccer and Nike seems to be bringing it over here(note the new VT uniforms--those were done by Nike, right?). Also the mesh part of the jerseys extend over the top of the uniforms. And from the way the PDF shows it, it looks like the neckline is mesh, which is just wierd. Also from the PDF: what's that oval thing that juts up at the bottom center of both jerseys? That's not normal is it?

I don't really mind the side blob all that much.

All in all though, thumbs down.

the "mesh" could just be a different kind of fabric that gives off a different reflection. And they used that as reference??? Just a thought. I'll agree, I don't really like the placement of the piping and that oval thing at the bottom of the jersey on the pdf??? looks like a stipper get-up or something. I do like piping on some jerseys, just not these.

To me, the regular blue jerseys look like a blue shirt with a blue basketball practice jersey over them.

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw 'em.

Seems appropriate considering it's Kentucky.

Hmmm....can't say I like any of them.

While I've never been a UK fan, I think the unis they're leaving behind (from last year) were superior to the new ones. They were nice and simple.

2 things about the new design bug me: the white piping (this is a waaaaay-overdone trend that will go by the wayside 10 years from now). Not all piping is bad (ex: Patriots), but most of it is an eye-sore. I didn't like piping in the 70s...are polyester leisure suits going to come back, too?

I also don't like the bandwagon for names on the jerseys. Too many college & pro teams are using this. I think it detracts from the overall look. In this particular case, it really is unnecessary, as the "UK" on the helmet should identify the team (how many other state's names start with a "K").

Thumbs down on the entire look. Maybe the need a logo of a cleat-holes on the back of their jerseys where the numbers normally go...??? No matter what they wear, they're still Dawg-food every fall.

Goooooooo Dawgs! Sic 'em! Woff, woof, woof!!!

I checked both the UK and the Helmet Project websites, plus I also read a book on the History of UK football, which was published in the 1970's and here is my take on the special uniforms:

The sleeves around the arm on the jerseys were I think from either the late 50's or early 1960's, I'm not sure, but they look like the Jerseys Ole Miss wears except for the jerseys Ole Miss has being navy blue instead of the Royal Blue Kentucky has.

The number style are from the Kentucky uniforms of the Late 1960's, when players such as Larry Seiple and Dicky Lyons played for the Wildcats.

The helmet, blue with white stripes and the Wildcat head on a map of Kentucky, is a reversal of the helmet the Cats wore in 1973(white with blue stripes with Wildcat and Kentucky map logo), the year Commonwealth Stadium was opened (Kentucky is called a commonwealth instead of a state).

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

I checked both the UK and the Helmet Project websites, plus I also read a book on the History of UK football, which was published in the 1970's and here is my take on the special uniforms:

The sleeves around the arm on the jerseys were I think from either the late 50's or early 1960's, I'm not sure, but they look like the Jerseys Ole Miss wears except for the jerseys Ole Miss has being navy blue instead of the Royal Blue Kentucky has.

The number style are from the Kentucky uniforms of the Late 1960's, when players such as Larry Seiple, Jeff Van Note, and Dicky Lyons played for the Wildcats.

The helmet, blue with white stripes and the Wildcat head on a map of Kentucky, is a reversal of the helmet the Cats wore in 1973(white with blue stripes with Wildcat and Kentucky map logo), the year Commonwealth Stadium was opened (Kentucky is called a commonwealth instead of a state).

This is an edited post.

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

Archived