Oregon State Unveils New Logo and Uniforms

BroadSt_Bully

I really dig the Beavers' reband, EXCEPT for the football uniforms. Their hideous lids kill it all to hell. Those fatass stipes that carry down to the facemask make me wanna rip out my eyeballs. Quite possibly the worst uniform trend ever.

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking stictly to football

Pros:

- Flat black - This is perfect touch for the Beavers and should be feature more. Its the exact opposite of the chrome look that the Ducks have.

- Copper - The addition is great, although again, I wish is were a flat color. This should only have been accent, not a feature.

- Beaver teeth on the front of the black helmet - This should have been carried through to all the helmets, regardless of shell color.

- New logo - Its not great, but at least the kept the Beaver head, unlike Arizona State that completely got rid of a classic logo.

- Custom font - Its not over the top, its still a classic block/athletic/varsity font. And THANK GOD there are no serifs or cuts inside the number (TCU, MSU).

- Pants and Helmet Stripes - The over sized look is a nice throw back and the sizes seem to mimic each other.

Cons:

- Too many outlines on the numbers - We dont need 2 or 3 outlines of the same width, ever.

- No logo on the Black helmet.

- The sleeve design - Its doesnt make any sense. They just slapped something on there. It completely ruins the great look of the over size helmet and pants stripe.

- "Oregon State" on the white jersey - With the PAC-12 Logo, Beaver Logo, Nike logo, and now school name, it looks like a damn NASCAR rather than a uniform.

- Sleeve Numbers - WHERE THE F--- ARE THEY NIKE!?!? Seriously, this is the BIGGEST fundamental flaw in all these new uniforms.

On a side note... is there anyone in the know about NCAA football uniforms who can answer WHY the Nike logo and conference logo are always on the front of the jersey? I know Nike has to have their swoosh on everything, and thats fine, but when you throw on a school logo, conference logo, nike logo, jersey numbers, and sometimes the school name all on the front of the jersey, it just gets too cluttered.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Hey Gordie.

I. LOVE. IT.

The colored facemask, the jersey colors, the chrome helmets - all of it is fantastic and creates a unique brand for Oregon State. As a local Oregonian who neutrally supports a Big Ten team, I can say objectively that the Beavers have really been playing second fiddle to the Ducks in terms of design and branding. We all know that from a national perspective, but on a local level the Ducks have really been pulling away.

While this doesn't give them the Phil Knight money that UO enjoys, this definitely gives the Beavs their own identity; one that can honestly stand on it's own merit and go toe-to-toe with Oregon.

Is it garish? A bit. But so is everything coming out of Eugene. It's nice to see Corvallis get some love and it really brands BOTH Oregon teams as forward thinking and progressive.

Absolutely fracking fantastic.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Hey Gordie.

I. LOVE. IT.

he colored facemask, the jersey colors, the chrome helmets - all of it is fantastic and creates a unique brand for Oregon State. As a local Oregonian who neutrally supports a Big Ten team, I can say objectively that the Beavers have really been playing second fiddle to the Ducks in terms of design and branding. We all know that from a national perspective, but on a local level the Ducks have really been pulling away.

While this doesn't give them the Phil Knight money that UO enjoys, this definitely gives the Beavs their own identity; one that can honestly stand on it's own merit and go toe-to-toe with Oregon.

Is it garish? A bit. But so is everything coming out of Eugene. It's nice to see Corvallis get some love and it really brands BOTH Oregon teams as forward thinking and progressive.

Absolutely fracking fantastic.

Pretty much how I feel as well.

Those gloves are just pure sex. I really like the black helmet because it reminds me of the helmets they wore with their Pro Combat set a couple years ago. I'm usually not a fan of the stripes going down to the facemask, but it really works here. Never thought I'd ever say that.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

In fairness, I will say that there are probably bad combinations that can come out of this set.

I think it works best when the helmets/jerseys match. The black helmet would look odd with the orange jersey, IMO.

But that's a problem you run into with multiple sets. Half of the Ducks' combinations look like pure 5hit.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

pasting from BrandNew, so paragraphs look a but funky . . .

i dont think any of it is amazing, it's standard Nike procedure (except they didnt force a pattern/texture into the uniforms). overall though it is a nice rebrand, and as long as the styles are trendy it will work.

the football uniform bothers me the most. i cant see from any of the photos whats on the side of the orange helmet (edit- i see the number now). the black matte helmet is great, just bringing back that old design, but im glad they did. however they put the stripe on the face mask (orange and white ones too) and that completely ruins it for me. i seriously cant believe that :censored: got approved for a helmet intended to be worn more than once. the black pants pair with it nicely but i dont think they have a jersey that does. all of them are designed in this new look, and they never made one to pair with the throwback inspired helmet and pants. maybe more to come?

the white helmet seems to be the primary and that one is nice, beside the stripe on the mask. the new logo looks pretty good on the side. back to the jerseys though, i see what they were going for with the shoulder design, but instead of bringing the lines from the logo into it, it looks like a new design for the St Louis Rams. maybe im being too picky there though?

i dont feel anything is built to last 100 years, but thats fine as long as OSU is fine with being an Oregon like school. Oregon pulls off the trends because, well they set them for one, and they move on to another before it dies out. but no other Nike school does this, and i honestly dont think this will be one either. the identity works well enough for me, but expect some uniform changes in a couple of years.

edit - i went on too much about what i dont like, and theres plenty i do like here. there are some details in the typography that bother me (odd ligature) but for being a block athletic font, it's different enough to be recognized as OSU's own.

the orange in the helmets and addition of gold is very nice. im actually hoping the orange will be worn the most, but doubt it. i wish the gold was used more often and more consistently. you see it on the key stroke of the beaver (ha ha) a couple of times, but not in every application.

the stripes on the mens BBall uni are very well done and the simplicity in the womens volleyball is bold and nearly timeless.

theres too many details and nit picks here that bother me as a designer to give it an A, but if i were a regular OSU fan i would probably love it.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

It's nice to see Corvallis get some love and it really brands BOTH Oregon teams as forward thinking and progressive.

Doesn't matter what OSU does....they aren't Oregon and will never be compared with Oregon.

Oregon is the ORIGINAL entity. Feels more like OSU is just trying to do things to get attention. Comes off as OSU being Oregon's little brother here.

If the folks at OSU and Nike were thinking they would be the 'anti-Oregon'. Which means being very traditional and more standard with their uniforms and branding.

Folks here know I am as "pro-progressive" with my uniform thoughts as you can get. The constant whining by some here about "new" designs and "different" looks is exhausting. The overkill from traditionalists about "block numbers" and "striped socks" and "grey facemasks" is ignorant. There are only a few really old teams/franchises that need to dress that way in 2013.

But my thoughts on these Oregon State duds are not all that positive. The basketball uniforms look pretty good (although the small Oregon State on the front of the black jersey's isn't very good). But the football uniforms are terrible. Helmets are terrible. Facemask is embarrassing. Jersey's and pants are a mess and garish. Just a cluster-you-know-what of ugly elements. Too bad, but they messed this up. And they still aren't Oregon.

I love the logo. The jerseys are pretty nice, as are the pants. The monochrome look is terrible, but those black and orange jerseys would look nice with white pants, and I'm sure the white jersey/black pants combo would look alright too. Shockingly though the all orange and all black monochrome isn't what does this look in (though they don't help). It's the unfocused mishmash of helmet design elements Nike and HGI's vomited across three helmets.

The chrome orange helmet isn't terrible looking just because it's chrome, but because it uses numbers instead of the logo. Numbered helmets are a very old school look. You associate the look with Alabama and the throwback looks the Charges and Browns have worn. Pairing the numbered helmets with something as ultra-modern as orange chrome is just a mishmash of aesthetics. It's like someone just threw two helmet design ideas together without actually thinking it through. Also the new, excellent, logo is perfectly designed to fit on a football helmet. Why not take full advantage of that fact and put it on all three helmets?

Which brings me to the black helmet. I have no idea what the hell they were thinking. Why refuse to put a logo on it? This is a brand new logo, after all. Why not plaster it everywhere you can?

All three suffer from over-sized striping and garish three-tone facemasks (good G-d is that trend annoying). The white one is probably the best looking one, if only because it actually uses the logo that was actually designed to go onto a football helmet. The black one would look great if they bothered to put the logo on it, but it's Nike and we can't do that because.....reasons.

There are a few elements here that really work, but they're drowned out in a sea of cliched, overdone Nike/HGI design work. Good job looking like Oregon, Oregon State. Hope you have fun constantly trying to play catch-up to your big brother rather then establishing an aesthetic of your own.

I like just about everything with this rebrand. The new block font is nice and classic, but with some unique tweaks to make them Oregon State's. No complaints with any of the non-football uniforms...solid, classic looks all around. And I like the football uniforms overall. I really like the thick stripes with the thick font...clearly the Pro Combat throwbacks were an inspiration, and that was a sharp looking set. And gordie, the gloves are gorgeous. I do have a few complaints though:

- I don't like the lack of logo on the black helmet and numbers on the orange one. I get that it honors the original uniform that inspired it, but some consistency (beaver logo on each helmet) would be nice.

- Not a fan of the facemask stripe. I can see the similarity to beaver teeth, but it's just not something that looks good IMO.

- The double outlines on the numbers make them WAY too thick, and the addition of gold is unnecessary with the lack of use anywhere else.

- I think the sleeve stripes would look much better straight to match the helmet and pants.

And lastly...WHY IS THAT BEAUTIFUL "BEAVERS" SCRIPT NOWHERE TO BE FOUND??? That may be my favorite part of the entire rebrand, and it isn't on a single uniform. Hopefully the baseball team uses it.

It's nice to see Corvallis get some love and it really brands BOTH Oregon teams as forward thinking and progressive.

Doesn't matter what OSU does....they aren't Oregon and will never be compared with Oregon.

Oregon is the ORIGINAL entity. Feels more like OSU is just trying to do things to get attention. Comes off as OSU being Oregon's little brother here.

If the folks at OSU and Nike were thinking they would be the 'anti-Oregon'. Which means being very traditional and more standard with their uniforms and branding.

Folks here know I am as "pro-progressive" with my uniform thoughts as you can get. The constant whining by some here about "new" designs and "different" looks is exhausting. The overkill from traditionalists about "block numbers" and "striped socks" and "grey facemasks" is ignorant. There are only a few really old teams/franchises that need to dress that way in 2013.

But my thoughts on these Oregon State duds are not all that positive. The basketball uniforms look pretty good (although the small Oregon State on the front of the black jersey's isn't very good). But the football uniforms are terrible. Helmets are terrible. Facemask is embarrassing. Jersey's and pants are a mess and garish. Just a cluster-you-know-what of ugly elements. Too bad, but they messed this up. And they still aren't Oregon.

This just sounds like Duck rhetoric, honestly.

Oregon re-invents themselves every four minutes. OSU desperately needed this refresh to keep up with the times.

You mention them adopting a classic look - and in fact they did, just clothed in modern style. Their jersey design is very Jets-like and the helmet stripes are a classic look. They've just updated the look with chrome and facemask stripes.

It's a clean blend of classic style with modern touches. Also consider that the Ducks/Beavers fight for many of the same recruits in the region. Giving OSU a hip new look helps eliminate the Ducks' advantage in that area. Certainly, Oregon State doesn't have anywhere as nice of facilities or the recent track record of success like UO, but I believe that this rebrand at least partially removes ONE of the Ducks' advantages.

OSU will always be second fiddle to UO, but you can let that gap be as big as you want. Previously, comparing UO/OSU was like looking at Texas and Rice. Now it's more like Texas-TCU. The Beavers certainly haven't overtaken the Ducks, but they're narrowing the gap, which is about all you can ask for.

UyDgMWP.jpg

I don't get why people think this is a "100 Year Brand." This isnt 1920 anymore. Technology is getting better, people are creative as ever, and when the two combine, you get new logos, new uniforms, new word marks, etc. And when those things come out, that means big money.

As we have seen with Conference Expansion and the numerous rebrandings, 1-Game Uniforms, Pro Combat Uniforms, etc., its all about the dollars, and let's call a spade a spade... the rebrands, logos/wordmarks/uniforms, Pro Combats, bla bla bla are making more dollars.

I'm a traditional uniform kind of guy, but get a grip people. If a brand lasts 10-20 years now, its considered a hell of a job. With some minor tweeks (football sleeves, logo size on helmet, continuity in the helmet styles) this uniform set can stick around for a decent while.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I don't get why people think this is a "100 Year Brand." This isnt 1920 anymore. Technology is getting better, people are creative as ever, and when the two combine, you get new logos, new uniforms, new word marks, etc. And when those things come out, that means big money.

As we have seen with Conference Expansion and the numerous rebrandings, 1-Game Uniforms, Pro Combat Uniforms, etc., its all about the dollars, and let's call a spade a spade... the rebrands, logos/wordmarks/uniforms, Pro Combats, bla bla bla are making more dollars.

I'm a traditional uniform kind of guy, but get a grip people. If a brand lasts 10-20 years now, its considered a hell of a job. With some minor tweeks (football sleeves, logo size on helmet, continuity in the helmet styles) this uniform set can stick around for a decent while.

i didnt see anyone else call it that, but when i mentioned it i meant the same thing as you. clearly its not built to last a life time. it works as long as you dont ever look old or dated. there will be a time when that happens and the key is for them to change it again. thats the model that works, its just that a lot of brands realize that second part about 10 years too late.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On a side note, please, PLEASE someone make a slew of new templates from this!

I would love some more football templates for photoshop. Please please please!!

Archived