Oregon State Unveils New Logo and Uniforms

BroadSt_Bully

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who thinks the interlocking palm-logo-gloves are totally overplayed at this point?

Am I the only one who thinks adding new colors to a teams' palette is totally overplayed at this point?

Am I the only one who thinks the interlocking palm-logo-gloves are totally overplayed at this point?

Am I the only one who thinks adding new colors to a teams' palette is totally overplayed at this point?

The gloves were over played last year. Now they are just a cool fixture of the uniform. Kind of like how teams put their Nickname, City name, or Conference logo on the front and back tags of the helmets.

Adding colors to a teams pallet isn't played out, as long as the colors fit within the group of colors.

- Oregon adding black, gray, chrome, etc. look aweful because it doesn't fit within in the scheme. Highlighter yellow is pretentious, but it still fits.

- Minnesota adding flat black doesn't work with the maroon and marigold.

- Oklahoma state adding gray works because it compliments the black and orange nicely.

- Gold with Michigan State works because it played off of the Spartans helmet, and looked where within the pallet.

- Copper works with Oregon State because it compliments the flat black as well as the orange in a weird, non-conventional way.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

what was that lame argument in the past about uniforms not having anything to do with recruiting???

screenshot20130305at126.png

- Copper works with Oregon State because it compliments the flat black as well as the orange in a weird, non-conventional way.

1. i never liked the idea of the gloves, because of the penalty enforced when a player does it. from a design standpoint these gloves are very nice though.

2. i love the addition of gold here. its not like they added black or grey. it makes the color palette completely unique and i think its looks amazing. HOW the gold is used is a bit disapointing just because i want to see more of it, and not as part of a double number outline

are they calling it copper? either way, its essentially a darker orange. 2 parts of a monochrome palette

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I like the rebrand to an extent. It seems like every team's unis got a nice design upgrade EXCEPT football. There are a lot of nice individual components to the football uniform, but the total package feels a little muddled. However, I have a feeling they'll look better on the field than in the designs. Not a major fan of the helmet stripe or gold/copper accent, but on the field, knowing Nike, it'll probably work.

I like the rebrand to an extent. It seems like every team's unis got a nice design upgrade EXCEPT football. There are a lot of nice individual components to the football uniform, but the total package feels a little muddled. However, I have a feeling they'll look better on the field than in the designs. Not a major fan of the helmet stripe or gold/copper accent, but on the field, knowing Nike, it'll probably work.

That's a fair assessment. I remember Nebraska's alternates for the Wisconsin game last year and they looked super dark, muddy and dingy in the press release. The red even looked like a cherry/rose color instead of a scarlet/blood red. But under the stadium lights (even at night), they really popped and the reds were all the right shade.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Love the logo, hate every uniform.

College sports uniforms remain collectively terrible; a breeding ground for sports design abortions being fired at will.

Harsh.. but kinda hard to really disagree.

The constant whining by some here about "new" designs and "different" looks is exhausting. The overkill from traditionalists about "block numbers" and "striped socks" and "grey facemasks" is ignorant.

Yeah, I don't think that word means what you think it means.

No.

And no.

I love that plaid pattern in the last slide. Excellent piece. The slide previous to that, however, illustrates one of the weaknesses I see pop up time after time in these Nike identities; lack of consistency and/or polish in the typography.

Just looking at the OREGON STATE wordmark:

It puzzles me why a relatively unnatural TE ligature was used, but the more natural ST ligature was not used, leaving a seriously unsightly gap between the S and the T. Even if it doesn't start to read as OREGON S TATE, the gap is definitely disruptive enough to call attention to itself.

Looking at the alphabet itself:

Why do letters like B, D, O, P and R have the characteristics of classic block lettering, whereas C, G, J, Q and U are formed with some characteristic square corners? If the O has all angled corners, how do the Q and the U not have all angled corners? It doesn't compute for me.

Why is the C so narrow compared to the B and D?

Why does the E have vertical serifs on the right, but the F does not?

The M and W are really heavy, which is unavoidable to a certain degree when making typefaces like these, but they're just too heavy compared to the rest in this case.

Why are the inside serifs omitted on letters like K, M, N, R, U, V, X and Y but retained on A, H, P and W?

osu_zps5269c8c7.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

what was that lame argument in the past about uniforms not having anything to do with recruiting???

screenshot20130305at126.png

I don't think anyone said that new uniforms didn't have anything to do with recruiting. The argument's always been about how much they actually help.

• Does anyone see the teeth of a buzzsaw in the new logo? The old logo had a whiff of that on the top, but I see it on the bottom left as well.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

I think we need to start using the term CFCS ill let you guys figure it out

What is: Change For Change's Sake?

I believe it is Chrome for Chromes Sake!

Which seems to be the new Nike thing just about every recent rebrand they have done in college they have introduced it.

Copper for Copper's sake?

Edit: Chrome for Chrome's sake works better for sure. I think the chrome works in this set though.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

Full unveiling from the Nike website.

http://nikeinc.com/n...-brand-identity

I love that plaid pattern in the last slide. Excellent piece. The slide previous to that, however, illustrates one of the weaknesses I see pop up time after time in these Nike identities; lack of consistency and/or polish in the typography.

It puzzles me why a relatively unnatural TE ligature was used, but the more natural ST ligature was not used, leaving a seriously unsightly gap between the S and the T. Even if it doesn't start to read as OREGON S TATE, the gap is definitely disruptive enough to call attention to itself.

Why do letters like B, D, O, P and R have the characteristics of classic block lettering, whereas C, G, J, Q and U are formed with some characteristic square corners? If the O has all angled corners, how do the Q and the U not have all angled corners? It doesn't compute for me.

The M and W are really heavy, which is unavoidable to a certain degree when making typefaces like these, but they're just too heavy compared to the rest in this case.

Why are the inside serifs omitted on letters like K, M, N, R, U, V, X and Y but retained on A, H, P and W?

osu_zps5269c8c7.jpg

this is a large part of the reason i couldnt grade this as A+ work. its also a sort of curse, being able to spot those things because typography is all around us all the time and you get to a point where every inconsistency or flaw jumps out at you. trying to see it from a non-designers perspective though, i think it works well enough. i dont see it as anything most people wouldnt want to wear on a shirt

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Full unveiling from the Nike website.

http://nikeinc.com/n...-brand-identity

osu_zps5269c8c7.jpg

this is a large part of the reason i couldnt grade this as A+ work. its also a sort of curse, being able to spot those things because typography is all around us all the time and you get to a point where every inconsistency or flaw jumps out at you. trying to see it from a non-designers perspective though, i think it works well enough. i dont see it as anything most people wouldnt want to wear on a shirt

Being a designer really ruins a lot of things... Can't stand to look at a lot of things anymore because of typographic flaws.

The C, G, J, Q and U are so striking to me. I really wish they carried it out throughout the whole letter set. I understand the inability to do this, but they are really well put together. I can let a lot of this slide, not because it's right, but I can understand from a typesetting point why they made certain decisions. But the A / H / P / W really need to get rid of the inside serif. Fix those 4 and it's pretty amazing.

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Which seems to be the new Nike thing just about every recent rebrand they have done in college they have introduced it.

Yes chrome for chrome sake, athlough it looks decent with Oregon state the amount of teams using it is too damn high

Yes chrome for chrome sake, athlough it looks decent with Oregon state the amount of teams using it is too damn high

well, it's not exactly a decision with no goal or basis. it's a trendy, new toy in the tool box. it separates them a bit from other schools (not a lot have done it, and i think only TCU and Oregon with a helmet worn more than once). im fairly sure it was done because its going to help identify them from everyone else and draw some attention. which leads to some return on their investment (recruits, ticket sales, merch sales, etc). i think to say anything is "X for X sake" is to imply someone said, "hey you guys wanna add X to these?. . . ok, cool". it comes back to moving $$$ really. and if it works . . .

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Archived