NHL Minimalist Designs

ksupilot

I know I'm gonna feel stupid right after someone tells me, but who is the blue and gold guitar pick?

The Preds. They wear something like that on their shoulders, but I don't think many know that, especially casual fans. Took me a bit to get that one.

Completely agree with Gothamite with CBJ's look

Oh... I thought about the Preds (blue and gold, and all...) but dismissed it because, you know... it's a striped guitar pick. I thought I'd feel dumb when someone explained it to me, but now I think I'm fine... the design is dumb.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of these are really well done. The ones that could stand alone without needing the context of the current design. For example, the Oilers is good, the Wild, Kings, BJs, etc. But the Rangers? Senators? Without knowing what they looked like today, you'd be like "WTF"? The Islanders one requires context, but I still can see it as a natural evolution of their current logo.

One thing I don't get is how the Flyers can't have their wings. It doesn't add a third color or make the design any less minimal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I know I'm gonna feel stupid right after someone tells me, but who is the blue and gold guitar pick?

The Preds. They wear something like that on their shoulders, but I don't think many know that, especially casual fans. Took me a bit to get that one.

Completely agree with Gothamite with CBJ's look

Oh... I thought about the Preds (blue and gold, and all...) but dismissed it because, you know... it's a striped guitar pick. I thought I'd feel dumb when someone explained it to me, but now I think I'm fine... the design is dumb.

The Predators use a guitar-pick shape as part of their regular set.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/pueff98vmbtglw70eifyagi6c/Nashville_Predators/2012/Secondary_Logo

Blue Jackets instantly made me think of this.

White+Star+Line+Logo.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

If it's a minimalist thing why does the flames logo have more flames than the original?

Overall I like this though.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

My favorites: Sharks, Sabres, Jets, Oilers, Lightning

Least favorites: Avalanche (should've gone with a mountain), Islanders (outline of long island in a circle and youre done), Flames (The C is a goofy rendering).

I like the Blue Jackets, but the body of the flag should be more of a pennant shape and the recognizable circle would've been more clear than just a star. But what he went with was a solid representation of something that's difficult to minimally represent.

I'd love to see something like this for every league.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Saw this posted on icethetics:

Segments Design did a minimalist treatment for the NHL logos

http://www.icethetic...-treatment.html

0314-nhl-minimalized.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1363248072471

Some are really good, others I can't really tell who they belong to.

Faves: Devils, Predators, Sabres

Misses: Islanders (a stick and puck? Thought it was a Jets throwback at first, why no lighthouse?), Capitals, Avalanche

I really like the Caps. I don't think it's a miss at all. It hints at the D.C. flag and Washington's coat of arms and stars have always been an element of design in the Caps' identity.

Thoughts:

1. I agree with rtrich11-- both Nashville's and Florida's have nothing to do with the nicknames, but more represent the place names. Wouldn't be bad in general, but they stand out like sore thumbs in this setting.

2. For the same reason, the Avs is weak. Of course an "A" resembles a mountain, but it could be moreso than it is here.

3. The Islanders logo is reminiscent of the old,old Winnipeg Jets logo.

4. Noticed they used the original colors for the Devils. Me like.

5. I must have been YEARS before my time. In middle school in the '70s I developed a two-color only (no two teams had the same color scheme) league with minimalist logo designs, carried it up through college (and even had franchise movements, name changes, and expansion). This drawing was about the last iteration done, I believe, in my senior year of 1986:

LEAGUE1.jpg

It is what it is.

cool stuff B-Rich.

for those complaining about what "should have been done", try doing this yourself. no really, try it because its a great mental exercise thats a bit Bauhaus school. it will get you to strip everything of its decoration and focus on the core ideas that are instantly readable iterations of what they represent. and because they're so simple, it can be a bit tougher making one different from the other. it will strengthen your ability to "speak" graphically, without words/type and the end product shows the real visual importance of any logo: shape and color. and you might even gain a new appreciation for the "less is more" way of thought.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

It's really bothering me that the arrow/tail on the Devils logo is pointing left instead of down. The thig that was cool to me about the actual logo is that you could interpret it as a tail, or as an arrow pointing towards Hell.

Saw this posted on icethetics:

Segments Design did a minimalist treatment for the NHL logos

http://www.icethetic...-treatment.html

0314-nhl-minimalized.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1363248072471

Some are really good, others I can't really tell who they belong to.

Faves: Devils, Predators, Sabres

Misses: Islanders (a stick and puck? Thought it was a Jets throwback at first, why no lighthouse?), Capitals, Avalanche

I really like the Caps. I don't think it's a miss at all. It hints at the D.C. flag and Washington's coat of arms and stars have always been an element of design in the Caps' identity.

Maybe would have looked better with red / white / blue for the stars? Would have to outline so the red would stand out

70389454.png

Archived