New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

Someone made a good point about these stripes being designed specifically for templates that don't allow for wrap around stripes. So that bring up the question of how it will look on replicas, since typically they do have longer sleeves and wrap around stripes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the stripe was designed after the ships used by vikings.

vikes_zpse3331611.png

That's actually REALLY clever IF true.

That's the notion, at least based on the marketing material. Same reason the first number has that weird serif on the top and the bottom. It's all about the (love) boats for the Vikings.

galaxy.png

vikes_zpse3331611.png

That's the notion, at least based on the marketing material. Same reason the first number has that weird serif on the top and the bottom. It's all about the (love) boats for the Vikings.

Cool if true but...wouldn't you put it in the front like the bow of the boat and not the back?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

vikes_zpse3331611.png

Cool if true but...wouldn't you put it in the front like the bow of the boat and not the back?

if you were going for the full-on sail effect yea, but there's still a sense of motion and forward movement there which i think is the bigger picture. that kind of shape is reflective of something like this to me

rooster+tail.jpg

i think with it reversed, the player would look/feel too heavy in the front too, like he's being weighed down

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

So it's a wake?

What a mess. It should just be a pleasing design, without any specific meaning behind it.

I find these stripes are both a pleasing design and with meaning. Is that not the goal?

I don't buy into the wake resemblance more than I do some sort of boat contour

Midway.png

So it's a wake?

What a mess. It should just be a pleasing design, without any specific meaning behind it.

I find these stripes are both a pleasing design and with meaning. Is that not the goal?

I don't buy into the wake resemblance more than I do some sort of boat contour

no, no, im not saying it "is" a wake but that the shape still gives a sense of forward movement. i still think it was influenced by ship's sails. it dosent have to be anything specific. it's just a stripe. what it "feels" like is more important than what it looks like specifically

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Someone made a good point about these stripes being designed specifically for templates that don't allow for wrap around stripes. So that bring up the question of how it will look on replicas, since typically they do have longer sleeves and wrap around stripes.

I think they'll be treated exactly the same, but with a long purple sleeve under them.

These stripes are designed to nestle against the shoulder seams, which all the jersey cuts have.

Actually, the stripes on the Game jerseys will be not be at the shoulders, but rather the bottom of the sleve.

5699_large5.jpg5751_large5.jpg

Although this could be different for the Limited and Elite versions. The team informed me that the Limited jerseys will be available no later than the first week of July.

Maybe nike just wanted a big swoosh looking thing on the sleeve for brand recognition.

I wish it was just a regular stripe though, a design they could keep for 20 years or so. Those numbers and stripes don't seem like something that would stay for too long, hopefully they just tweak it over the years and never go for another "modern" design. Well I guess this is pretty modern... I mean like their last uni's or the Cards.

Don't get me wrong if I was told this would be their uni for the next 20 years i'd be stoked, I just don't see it lasting that long though unless they tweak it.

Maybe nike just wanted a big swoosh looking thing on the sleeve for brand recognition.

I wish it was just a regular stripe though, a design they could keep for 20 years or so. Those numbers and stripes don't seem like something that would stay for too long, hopefully they just tweak it over the years and never go for another "modern" design. Well I guess this is pretty modern... I mean like their last uni's or the Cards.

Don't get me wrong if I was told this would be their uni for the next 20 years i'd be stoked, I just don't see it lasting that long though unless they tweak it.

John_Elway.jpg

16 years, and counting. If you'd told me that in '97, I would've been surprised.

I agree. Some unique designs lend themselves surprisingly well for fans to warm up to over periods of time and I think the Vikings' new swooshy stripes fit that bill.

They're subtle enough to leave room for slight modifications down the road that still wouldn't necessarily call for a need to reinvent the wheel should the organization choose to do so. They're also a good case of what mixing modern with retro can look like if done right, and that's a nice little stamp in the design world.

If you were ever looking for that one uniform set the Vikings should forever base their future looks on, this would be it. Minus the numbers of course ;)

Midway.png

Archived