New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

Have they completely eliminated the old logo from everything? Or could they possibly be keeping it around as a secondary logo?

Teams practice equipment are the last things that get changed. It has nothing to do with keeping the old logo around. It's a goner.

Yeah, I knew the part about the practice equipment. I just wasn't sure if they were gonna hold on to the old logo for any reason.

I am a Bengals fan, and when they changed the primary to the B logo, they still kept the Bengal head logo around as a secondary.

That is kinda what I was wondering.

I think the Bengals B and their earlier (and much better logos IMO) can much more easily coexist than the new and old leaping dolphin marks. It's just so obvious that the new one is designed specifically to replace the old.

As for the Vikings' practice jersey, and new font in action, here's another couple of looks...

20130529_jla_sk1_291.0_standard_709.0.jpg10vike060613.jpg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think that both numbers could have had the serifs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Or neither number.

The more I see this the more I just cannot stomach the non-matching numbers. It dominates the uniform. I love the matte helmet but for me I think the numbers make this their worst look ever.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Or neither number.

The more I see this the more I just cannot stomach the non-matching numbers. It dominates the uniform. I love the matte helmet but for me I think the numbers make this their worst look ever.

Please tell me you're kidding.

Pat+Williams+Minnesota+Vikings+v+Chicago+Bears+nBre7cA8cVKx.jpg

Or neither number.

(Photo of fat guy, for effect :) )

No. I really did not hate the previous look. Yeah, it was hopping on a silly trend. Yeah, the broken pants stripe was silly (particularly on the road since they rarely wore the purple pants, as the design intended). Yeah, the side panel and weird "horn-inspired" shoulder stripe were less than great. This was no dream uniform to be sure, but I really did not mind it. I liked the balance of purple and yellow (as opposed to almost all purple now), but most importantly, this two-font number system (in my opinion) has become dated before even hitting the field. It's an eyesore. Even AP's #28 (one of the better numbers) sticks out to me. Patterson's 84 is just gawd awful.

If I am being honest, I think I'd even prefer the previous look if the Vikings had normal-looking numbers on the new look (though normal numbers would go a long way). The sleeves are just odd (the single yellow and white stripes don't look great to me even without the widening white stripe), and I guess I am just too stuck on the white-only numbers...I think they need the outline.

In any case, the more I look at these strange numbers, the more they push the unforms down my rankings.

The 1990s look is kinda like the germanic Brewer look...everyone skips over it and wants the current or the older throwback. I thought the Vikings nailed in the 90s, though. Good color balance. No silly trends. I wish they'd have put the shoulder stripes on the home, made a few tweaks (thanks to the new cut) and called it done.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Or neither number.

No. I really did not hate the previous look. Yeah, it was hopping on a silly trend. Yeah, the broken pants stripe was silly (particularly on the road since they rarely wore the purple pants, as the design intended). Yeah, the side panel and weird "horn-inspired" shoulder stripe were less than great. This was no dream uniform to be sure, but I really did not mind it. I liked the balance of purple and yellow (as opposed to almost all purple now), but most importantly, this two-font number system (in my opinion) has become dated before even hitting the field. It's an eyesore. Even AP's #28 (one of the better numbers) sticks out to me. Patterson's 84 is just gawd awful.

If I am being honest, I think I'd even prefer the previous look if the Vikings had normal-looking numbers on the new look (though normal numbers would go a long way). The sleeves are just odd (the single yellow and white stripes don't look great to me even without the widening white stripe), and I guess I am just too stuck on the white-only numbers...I think they need the outline.

In any case, the more I look at these strange numbers, the more they push the unforms down my rankings.

The 1990s look is kinda like the germanic Brewer look...everyone skips over it and wants the current or the older throwback. I thought the Vikings nailed in the 90s, though. Good color balance. No silly trends. I wish they'd have put the shoulder stripes on the home, made a few tweaks (thanks to the new cut) and called it done.

For what it's worth, I pretty much agree on the Vikings' 90's look... very underrated, although I personally preferred the home striping and thought the road jersey to be outdated.

As for the "photo of fat guy for effect"... yeah, you pretty much got me, I wanted a picture to show that uniform to its worst effect, and that's how I did it. But I wasn't just trying to be mean to Pat Williams (loved that guy!)... the point is that uniform is one of those "works on paper" designs we see so much of now, and on real people in real situations it all falls apart. It's like those college designs that everybody is first introduced to with a slick superhero-style photoshop image. People go nuts, call it the "sickest uniform ever!" and then 60-some real kids put it on and walk out on the field to a big meh. You yourself, while defending it, had to say "Yeah, it was hopping on a silly trend, yeah, the broken pants stripe was silly, yeah, the side panel and weird "horn-inspired" shoulder stripe were less than great'... that's a lot of yeah, buts. My point with that picture of the "fat guy" is, you can't just say Pat Williams is fat and would look bad in any uniform. No, Pat looked worse in that uniform than he would've in pretty much any other uniform I can think of. To me, that's a failure of the design.

Now, I know you weren't so much defending this uniform, as much as saying you'd prefer it to the new. But even so, that to me is pretty stunning. I think that the collected flaws of the new look could be tripled and it would still be nowhere near the train wreck we've had to live with for 7 years. And as to the font, in particular... to me it's turning out to be the exact opposite of those "only good on paper" designs I was talking about. I disliked it on the early Nike-controlled imagery, hated it on the number sheet, but on real players, walking around? I've honestly stopped thinking about it. In fact, 50-some pages back in this thread, I wrote that the font is the first thing I'd change, but now? I might actually leave it alone.

Or neither number.

For what it's worth, I pretty much agree on the Vikings' 90's look... very underrated, although I personally preferred the home striping and thought the road jersey to be outdated.

As for the "photo of fat guy for effect"... yeah, you pretty much got me, I wanted a picture to show that uniform to its worst effect, and that's how I did it. But I wasn't just trying to be mean to Pat Williams (loved that guy!)... the point is that uniform is one of those "works on paper" designs we see so much of now, and on real people in real situations it all falls apart. It's like those college designs that everybody is first introduced to with a slick superhero-style photoshop image. People go nuts, call it the "sickest uniform ever!" and then 60-some real kids put it on and walk out on the field to a big meh. You yourself, while defending it, had to say "Yeah, it was hopping on a silly trend, yeah, the broken pants stripe was silly, yeah, the side panel and weird "horn-inspired" shoulder stripe were less than great'... that's a lot of yeah, buts. My point with that picture of the "fat guy" is, you can't just say Pat Williams is fat and would look bad in any uniform. No, Pat looked worse in that uniform than he would've in pretty much any other uniform I can think of. To me, that's a failure of the design.

Now, I know you weren't so much defending this uniform, as much as saying you'd prefer it to the new. But even so, that to me is pretty stunning. I think that the collected flaws of the new look could be tripled and it would still be nowhere near the train wreck we've had to live with for 7 years. And as to the font, in particular... to me it's turning out to be the exact opposite of those "only good on paper" designs I was talking about. I disliked it on the early Nike-controlled imagery, hated it on the number sheet, but on real players, walking around? I've honestly stopped thinking about it. In fact, 50-some pages back in this thread, I wrote that the font is the first thing I'd change, but now? I might actually leave it alone.

Numbers = Not my favorite, but they have grown on me. I dont notice them much any more.

Previous uni set = Terrible. Never liked them, but thought the away jersey was the best of the two. It had a better balance of principal colors vs supporting colors.

90's unis = This is what i grew up with as a kid and always hated them. So boring, and I wasnt even one of those kids who wanted the craziest uniforms out there, I always liked the simplistic style. I remember Randy Moss saying in an interview that the players were wanting Red McCombs to change the unis because they were old, tired and none of the players liked them. That's one of the reasons the Wilfs made the change right away. I think the throw backs from the last few years were much better than anything from the 90's era.

My favorites = Early sixties with the northwestern stripes on both home and away. Had just enough flair while still keeping it simple.

I still think this years are a complete win.

That's my take.

I'm relatively surprised that there is no league-mandated regularity in the practice jerseys, something like BP jerseys.

I think it would be cool to see a different design every year, like NBA warmups.

I'm sure I'm part of the minority here, though haha.

Maybe it's because NFL practice jerseys are not marketed for sale like NBA warmups and MLB batting practice jerseys are.

That's what exclusive rights gets you.

Agree 100%. Here's the typical lifespan of an exclusiive rights deal across just about any business:

1. Overbid for the sake of exclusivity.
  2. Over-promote exclusivity and first release.
  3. Watch sales come in way under forecast as exclusivity didn't provide the extra bump in sales.
  4. Cut marketing budget.
  5. Cut production budget.
  6. Cut more overhead.
  7. Reduce marketing to bare minimum.
  8. Stop improving/updating product.
  9. Collect as much revenue possible during last few years with minimal investment.
  10. Make lowball offer in renewal period to exit deal gracefully.
  11. Lose exclusive deal and say it was prudent for the business.
  12. Wait on the sidelines for 5 or so years until new CEO/CMO comes aboard.
  13. Repeat step 1.

Glad I'm not alone in disliking the late 90's ones.

They have a lot of uniforms elements I strongly dislike; thin stripes at the bottom of sleeves, primary logo anywhere on the uni, yellow outline on white numbers, over the shoulder (away) stripes.

They're just so bland and boring, all while not having a "classic" look.

any ideas on when we can see the Limited jerseys come out?

Lady at the pro shop told me training camp time.

Just today I saw that some of the 'Limited Jerseys' were in at the Vikings' official store. They told me they had just gotten them in today and only received AD jerseys. They expect to be getting some other players' limited jerseys in soon.

Personally, after comparing the two, I kind of prefer the 'Game Jersey' with the screen printed elements. It feels less stiff with the flexible printing. Plus it doesn't have the Flywire collar like the 'Limited' does, which I know is more true-to-life, but it makes the collar thicker and I don't much like it.

eHOqHbS.png

wrong number in madden, likely to be fixed

I seriously doubt they will get the numbers correct in the game. They refuse to even use a different font for sleeves/shoulders, and that error is particularly glaring on teams such as the Bears. Knowing that, there is no way they are going to completely remake their number model just so they can have 99 different sets for the Vikings. They will include 10 digits, each to be used front/back/shoulders, and that will be the end of it. And as much as I like to blame EA, I don't consider this their fault. This is Nike's fault for coming up with this crap just to say they did.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived