New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

How many other fonts do we say "well 28 looks good but 47 looks pretty bad."? That's why I hate this.

I guess that would be a problem if that's what everyone was saying, but from what I'm reading on here, it seems that more and more people are coming around to liking this font... including some that initially hated it (a group that includes me). I understand you still dislike it, but trust me, I'm not "accepting" it because I think it just works sometimes.

As I said, agree to disagree.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the timing, given the above exchange is bad, but I am now going to mutter my "now that some time has passed" feelings...

• Number font: I kinda liked it at first (at least on some numbers) and now it's easily the worst feature of this uniform (Downgrade from a more basic font, with outlines)
  • Sleeves: I did not like the sleeves at first but I have kinda gotten used to them. They've sort of adapted to the modern cut and I like how it turned out. It's modern and different without being gaudy. (Definitely upgrade from 2000s trend crap).
  • Pants: I always viewed the pants as the biggest upgrade, in large part because of how awful the pants were on the old set. I did not like the striping pattern. I still don't know that I love it, but after getting used to it, I do kinda like it. It's not necessary vs. something more traditional, but it's not gaudy and as menioned, HUGE upgrade. I also feel it's the part of the uniform where the purple and yellow compliment each other best...too much segregation on the jerseys. (The complimenting of purple / yellow was the primary positive of the last set)
  • Sides. No side panels. Obvious upgrade.
  • Purple Pants: Potential upgrade...in other words I hope they wear them more ON THE ROAD, though I doubt it...so probably a push.
  • Matte-ish helmet. Love it. Upgrade.
  • Black facemask. I was glad it was not gray and still am, as it blends in even better than I thought it would. HOWEVER, while it's not as bad as I'd have thought, it's not necessary. Downgrade, as I think purple is the only way for the Vikings to go.

Anyway, I've turned a corner (for the positive) on the sleeve and pants stripes. But I hate the numbers more and more all the time.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

20130621_kkt_sk1_570.0_standard_709.0.jpg

And, at the risk of further pounding on the long dead horse...

Come on. Look at it. That's a handsome font.

But you have chosen a number that interlocks. Any jersey number ending in 4 will suck. I think 7 will be the same, along with 1. That wouldn't be the case without the interlock. Adding in the likelihood of an incorrect font usage, and I am on the 'disagree' side.

Agreed with whoever upthread said an open topped 4 would be better.

It's where I sit.

I'd be ok with different left and right fonts if they each had spikes pointing to the outside (and a single digit font twith spikes on both sides just to at least try to look like it belongs in the set.). My big problem isn't the L and R fonts, it's that they don't look like they belong together and look more like a mistake than a intentional design decision.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As I said however many pages ago...it looks good with numbers like those where the serifs "wrap" around the other number where they meet at the top and bottom. It's where they clash that it looks stupid.

This pics says it all. Adrian looks fine. So does the top serif on Greenway but his bottom one is terrible. Why not just round off the bottom left corner on all the numbers so any combination "fits" together?

Vikings-Uniforms-630x472.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

But you have chosen a number that interlocks. Any jersey number ending in 4 will suck. I think 7 will be the same, along with 1. That wouldn't be the case without the interlock. Adding in the likelihood of an incorrect font usage, and I am on the 'disagree' side.

Agreed with whoever upthread said an open topped 4 would be better.

Yeah, I'm not seeing it. Here is a handful of two-digit examples all ending with 1, 4, or 7, the combinations you specifically think will be problems. I don't see them as being any worse (or if you hate the whole font, any better)... basically, any different than any other two-digit combo. In fact, I think the two-digit combos ending in "1" are really nice... some of my favorites. Also, that "14" is especially nice IMO...

fontexample_zps56b89468.png

I think I hated this font initially because I was looking at it in the number sheets... basically flat combinations of numbers, and thinking sort of "theoretically" how it was going to look. I turned the corner on it when I started looking at the training camp images, when you see various number sets interacting. I could be wrong (not the first or last time I'd be wrong), but I bet when the team starts playing actual games, and people see all the numbers together on the field more folks will come around. Or at least say, while it might not be their favorite font, it really isn't a problem.

How many other fonts do we say "well 28 looks good but 47 looks pretty bad."? That's why I hate this.

I guess that would be a problem if that's what everyone was saying, but from what I'm reading on here, it seems that more and more people are coming around to liking this font... including some that initially hated it (a group that includes me).

I think a lot of people are still saying that.

Personally, I think the number font goes instantly from amazing to stupid based on the number.

Thanks for posting that.

Yep, that would be the "stupid" I was talking about.

The 14 is passable only because there's enough space between the digits, and the only place they come close together are matching vertical lines. But in every other case, you have sharp corners and hard angles interacting with rounded arcs. Bad design.

I guess that would be a problem if that's what everyone was saying, but from what I'm reading on here, it seems that more and more people are coming around to liking this font... including some that initially hated it (a group that includes me).

I think a lot of people are still saying that.

Personally, I think the number font goes instantly from amazing to stupid based on the number.

Thanks for posting that.

Yep, that would be the "stupid" I was talking about.

The 14 is passable only because there's enough space between the digits, and the only place they come close together are matching vertical lines. But in every other case, you have sharp corners and hard angles interacting with rounded arcs. Bad design.

OK, Goth, I should probably just let it go (maybe it's that we usually see pretty eye to eye on so much), but isn't what you just wrote about the 14 true of every number ending in 4? They all have the exacty same amount of space between the digits at the top and the bottom... where the left-side-spikes are... and come together at matching vertical lines?

No, because the other numbers have more weight in the first digit, which makes them look worse. Becuase of the overwhelming vertical weight of the 1, the 14 barely gets away with it (rendering it "passable" instead of "stupid-looking").

I want to like them, and I still think this uniform is an immeasurable upgrade from its predecessor, but the one-size-fits-all-even-when-it-doesn't-fit number treatment isn't very good.

This set is so close to bringing me back to being a Vikings fan, but I just can't get over the serif/sans-serif number set and how the stripes on the sleves go up in the back. One of those "cool idea, just doesn't execute well" type things for me. I absolutely love the pants stripe and think its one of the best in pro football. I'm glad they got rid of the yellow number outline, too. Wish they would've kept the old numbers and just removed the outline.

This set is so close to bringing me back to being a Vikings fan, but I just can't get over the serif/sans-serif number set and how the stripes on the sleves go up in the back. One of those "cool idea, just doesn't execute well" type things for me. I absolutely love the pants stripe and think its one of the best in pro football. I'm glad they got rid of the yellow number outline, too. Wish they would've kept the old numbers and just removed the outline.

You choose not to root for a team because of their uniforms?

You choose not to root for a team because of their uniforms?

Nope. There were other reasons. The horrible jerseys just reinforced the decision :)

some concepts from Soulcake Creative. i like this direction but already know most Viks fans would hate it. its very cohesive, well executed design but it's probably not appropriate for the VIkings. definitely not in the direction they wanted to go with it (classic-modern). still, its interesting to see something done thats completely different than what you would expect, and well thought out. theres plenty of original and interesting elements in this like the helmet stripe and cod piece on the pants: http://www.logo-designer.co/concept-logo-minnesota-vikings-rebrand/

Minnesota-Vikings-logo-design-branding-identity-Soulcake.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived