New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...we forget that back in the day stuff like helmet logos were designed with the crowd in mind (i.e. huge so more visible from a distance) since there was so little TV coverage at the time.

Another example (from the outstanding helmethut.com):

kilmer5.jpg

As for the new ones, I'm repeating myself but the matte finish reminds me of this:

1627.jpg

Even has the old-fashioned center ridge like Adrian's lid. B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already in the past, but I just learned today that the original vikings did not wear helmets with horns on them -- that it's a myth. That being said, perhaps the Vikings should be wearing these:

750988970_260.jpg

Recently, the Miami Dolphins found out that real dolphins do not, in fact, wear tiny facemaskless football helmets, and look where that knowledge led them.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already in the past, but I just learned today that the original vikings did not wear helmets with horns on them -- that it's a myth. That being said, perhaps the Vikings should be wearing these:

750988970_260.jpg

I learned this years ago and realized seconds later it doesn't matter.

It was an attempt at humor, albeit a feeble one. No need for the acrimony.

I did not realize anyone still wore that style. I miss that style being prevalent.

And that is sad as hell to me.

Well, you'll like this, then... another player in that old style helmet. With a weird facemask, to boot.

tempbest-of-dline-004070213--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

That's it a weird facemask at all. I wore that in the early '90s, and it was used in the nfl and college as well. There was also a version without the loop thing that was probably a little more popular, but that one was not rare.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I never understood the loop. It doesn't give you any more protection, and actually gives something else for a opponent to grab. I thought it was for hanging it up, but that wouldn't make sense. I just know I wanted one because... well, I just did.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I did not realize anyone still wore that style. I miss that style being prevalent.

Me too. It is weird to see it, though. Especially on a high profile guy like AP. Here's a few more shots of him in that helmet. Check it out... it still has the old fashioned center ridge.

I heard an interview sometime last season on Chicago Radio with Brian Urlacher. He and Briggs both wear the old style helmet and are convinced that it's the reason neither of them have suffered concussion issues.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

I still never got used to the modern helmets with the crazy bumps and homes everywhere. To me the only helmet that looks right is a perfectly round one with circular earholes. Anything else looks incredibily stupid to me

I concur. The modern helmets are too odd looking for my liking as well. Especially the one posted above by Jungle Jim. Too much change to the design kind of makes it look slightly different than a helmet. But of course the manufacturer and other opinions are constantly looking to improve the technology, materials, cost, etc. and with Roger Goodell pointing to player safety, it makes sense there are modifications to equipment to help "reduce" injury.

Do I like all these changes? No. But I really can't do much to stop them.

I never understood the loop. It doesn't give you any more protection, and actually gives something else for a opponent to grab. I thought it was for hanging it up, but that wouldn't make sense. I just know I wanted one because... well, I just did.

Seems it would have helped a player keep from getting forearmed in the face back in the day when they wore the loop with early single and double bar masks. I always thought that was the original intent.

jim-otto-640-x960.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Well, you'll like this, then... another player in that old style helmet. With a weird facemask, to boot.

Tom Brady and many of his receivers (is that Brandon Lloyd?) still wear classic helmetstom-brady-texans.jpgTo me that's what football should look like

Tom Brady and many of his receivers (is that Brandon Lloyd?) still wear classic helmetstom-brady-texans.jpgTo me that's what football should look like

Minus the inconsistent red stripes on the jersey/pants.

I just CANNOT get over that with the Pats current set. Those stripes are mega-bad.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived