Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. People showed up to THREE movies. Blazers sold out all 2011-12 season games despite the fact that they eventually finished with a 28-38 record.

And a terrible CGI movie. And two cartoon series. And multiple novels and comic books. And a series of video games.

You'll never line up being a fan of a movie series with being a fan of a sports team exactly, but I think it's safe to say that both can command a specific type of devotion.

2. I don't get the comparison between basketball and baseball. For me is like mixing apples and oranges.

My point is that liking Star Trek and Star Wars is closer to liking the Lakers and Dodgers then it is to liking the Lakers and Celtics.

3. I understand that limited edition lightsabers might be expensive but the average season ticket prices are around 2.5 K. You can get under 1K for most of the teams but you have to sit under the roof where you see hardly anything. And this is not the cost of dressing up for the Comic-Con but just watching the games. I suppose you get much better cinema seats for such price.

My point is that any fandom you choose to partake in has the possibility of being pricey. Also, depending on the team, single game tickets may not be all that much more then a movie ticket.

4. Then explain to me how come only 3 teams managed to win in Denver. There is not a single team in the NBA that would have a better road than home record. Marketing ploy?

Well special cases have to made for cities where the air is literally different from anywhere else in the league.

5. I suppose you have to be a supporter yourself to get my last point.

Your argument is on REALLY shaky ground if you have to resort to "you don't agree with me, you must not be a real fan!" logic.

Aren't the Charlotte Knights changing names? Bobcats become Hornets, Knights become Bobcats, Knights name is saved for a future team in SC.

Hadn't heard that. Hope it isn't true. Needs a bit of work, but Knights can be a great identity.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

Aren't the Charlotte Knights changing names? Bobcats become Hornets, Knights become Bobcats, Knights name is saved for a future team in SC.

Hadn't heard that. Hope it isn't true. Needs a bit of work, but Knights can be a great identity.

That's the first thing you've said this entire thread that I agree with :D

Charlotte NBA fans want the Hornets back, no other opinions matter.

And that's all that should matter. Some people in this thread are stating opinions, and others are pretending that theirs is the final word. In the end, the New Orleans team is no longer the Hornets. If the people of Charlotte want the name back, that should be the only thing that matters. The rest is nothing but a semantics pissing contest.

1. People showed up to THREE movies. Blazers sold out all 2011-12 season games despite the fact that they eventually finished with a 28-38 record.

And a terrible CGI movie. And two cartoon series. And multiple novels and comic books. And a series of video games.

You'll never line up being a fan of a movie series with being a fan of a sports team exactly, but I think it's safe to say that both can command a specific type of devotion.

2. I don't get the comparison between basketball and baseball. For me is like mixing apples and oranges.

My point is that liking Star Trek and Star Wars is closer to liking the Lakers and Dodgers then it is to liking the Lakers and Celtics.

3. I understand that limited edition lightsabers might be expensive but the average season ticket prices are around 2.5 K. You can get under 1K for most of the teams but you have to sit under the roof where you see hardly anything. And this is not the cost of dressing up for the Comic-Con but just watching the games. I suppose you get much better cinema seats for such price.

My point is that any fandom you choose to partake in has the possibility of being pricey. Also, depending on the team, single game tickets may not be all that much more then a movie ticket.

4. Then explain to me how come only 3 teams managed to win in Denver. There is not a single team in the NBA that would have a better road than home record. Marketing ploy?

Well special cases have to made for cities where the air is literally different from anywhere else in the league.

Your argument is on REALLY shaky ground if you have to resort to "you don't agree with me, you must not be a real fan!" logic.

1. Still far away from 41 home games per year and following the road games on TV.

2. IMHO Lakers and Dodgers are closer to Star Wars and Lord of the Rings

3. Yes, but for the price of a 3D movie you get the crappiest seats in the arena.

4. Basketball is played indoor so I'm not buying it and you ignored the second sentence that EVERY team has a better home record. I'm looking forward to 29 more explanations.

Another example, Pacers had one of the most talented teams in the early 2000s. Yet a single fan with a beer cup harmed a multimillion dollar enterprise. You can do whatever you want in the cinema but you won't provoke Han Solo to jeopardize the movie plot.

5. It is socially acceptable that people celebrate the success of their local athletes. Yet, nobody does it because George Lucas decided that the Rebels defeat the Empire.

Well said. I'm a Wolves fan (among other MN sports teams) but I recall growing up in Northern Minnesota and Northern Wisconsin seeing a LOT of Charlotte Hornets gear. Remember the Starter jackets? Yeah, I think half of them in both locals were Charlotte Hornet jackets.

I would LOVE to see this happen.

They'd be impossible to forget. Still have mine, along with the Champion replica Larry Johnson jersey.

Good times. Thanks for your support! For anyone who's reading this and truly would like to see the change, click my top banner where you can sign a petition on change.org to change the name back. Every signature sends an email to the Bobcats offices. It surpassed 11,000 this morning.

*got blocked by the Bobcats for spam 8000 emails ago*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1. Still far away from 41 home games per year and following the road games on TV.

2. IMHO Lakers and Dodgers are closer to Star Wars and Lord of the Rings

3. Yes, but for the price of a 3D movie you get the crappiest seats in the arena.

4. Basketball is played indoor so I'm not buying it and you ignored the second sentence that EVERY team has a better home record. I'm looking forward to 29 more explanations.

Another example, Pacers had one of the most talented teams in the early 2000s. Yet a single fan with a beer cup harmed a multimillion dollar enterprise. You can do whatever you want in the cinema but you won't provoke Han Solo to jeopardize the movie plot.

5. It is socially acceptable that people celebrate the success of their local athletes. Yet, nobody does it because George Lucas decided that the Rebels defeat the Empire.

It may not be Star Wars or Star Trek, but I can assure you the fiscal outlay of anime fandom (especially if you import) can be right up there with the outlay for the ticket packages most "common fans" of sports teams.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm not being so literal as to say the end of a movie and the end of a game are exactly the same or that paying to see one movie is equivalent to going to one game. What I'm saying is that, taken together, the experiences of being a fan of a media franchise or genre can be parallel to the experiences of being a sports fan even if the specifics don't line up.

Also I'm going to harp on you for your holier-then-thou attitude that I must not be a real fan because I don't agree with you when it comes to this franchise name/history swapping stuff. That's one of the lowest forms of argument.

Finally, that drunk fan who injures a star athlete and thus proves how fans of sports teams can affect their teams like no one else can effect the things they're fans of? He deserves to have his team's history and name whisked halfway across the continent.

Are you referring to a single anime franchise or collecting different kinds of series?

In terms of practical application, anime fandom as a rule manifests in collecting different series.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, if you want doubt the passion of sci-fi nerds, shout "Greedo shot first" at a Star Wars convention. I can assure you the reaction would be as if you had just shouted "War Eagle" at an Alabama fan gathering (or "Roll Tide" at an Auburn one).

Today, we are all otaku.

I'm not being so literal as to say the end of a movie and the end of a game are exactly the same or that paying to see one movie is equivalent to going to one game. What I'm saying is that, taken together, the experiences of being a fan of a media franchise or genre can be parallel to the experiences of being a sports fan even if the specifics don't line up.

Also I'm going to harp on you for your holier-then-thou attitude that I must not be a real fan because I don't agree with you when it comes to this franchise name/history swapping stuff. That's one of the lowest forms of argument.

Finally, that drunk fan who injures a star athlete and thus proves how fans of sports teams can affect their teams like no one else can effect the things they're fans of? He deserves to have his team's history and name whisked halfway across the continent.

I've never written than the team history has to be re-written if they rebrand as Hornets 2.0.

And just to clarify, I believe that any person who violates area of the game, deserves a severe punishment. And to be precise, he didn't injure anybody. He just pulled the trigger inside MWP head and then the hell broke loose.

Well said. I'm a Wolves fan (among other MN sports teams) but I recall growing up in Northern Minnesota and Northern Wisconsin seeing a LOT of Charlotte Hornets gear. Remember the Starter jackets? Yeah, I think half of them in both locals were Charlotte Hornet jackets.

I would LOVE to see this happen.

They'd be impossible to forget. Still have mine, along with the Champion replica Larry Johnson jersey.

Good times. Thanks for your support! For anyone who's reading this and truly would like to see the change, click my top banner where you can sign a petition on change.org to change the name back. Every signature sends an email to the Bobcats offices. It surpassed 11,000 this morning.

*got blocked by the Bobcats for spam 8000 emails ago*

Lol nah. I push it on here, but I'm more reserved in actuality. You'd be surprised by how cooperative and friendly, if not revealing, the Cats personnel can be.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Bannertop.jpeg

Am I lost? Is this a thread about Star Wars, Star Trek and anime? Where did I take a wrong turn? Can someone tell me how to get back on the highway?

Basically I made the comparison between being a fan of a sports team and being a fan of a major movie franchise like, say, Star Trek. Then we got into a whole thing about that.

Anyway I like the name Bobcats, and I love the two secondary logos they've had. I may buy myself a hoodie before the whole team closes its eyes and hums "IT'S 1997 WE CAN'T HEAR YOU" over and over again.

5. It can be linked to a local/national pride and affect the community. After the World Cup game in a European country people are frendlier and more optimistic if their team won last night.

Look, I agree that when a sports team (let's say basketball) goes on a championship run (for example), the city can catch "basketball fever". They'll be the hottest ticket in town, all the buzz will be about them, and the city can come alive with basketball spirit. This is a great example for a team can turn a city into a basketball city and establish a basketball culture within that city. However, it does nothing to change the fact that history and memories are two different things. If the organization packs up and leaves, they take their history - what they did - with them. When a new organization decides to do business in said city, they can use the strong fan interest for support, but they will have to create their own legacy.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Would Charlotte fans be happy with a new logo, and colours with a potential name change?(Like Winnipeg)

Or would they prefer to take embrace the old logo and colours like the Washington Senators/Nationals have done on a few occasions. Then again the Nats/Sens name and colours never relocated with the franchise, in both instances (Twins and Rangers) both teams took new names and colours.

Would Charlotte fans be happy with a new logo, and colours with a potential name change?(Like Winnipeg)

Or would they prefer to take embrace the old logo and colours like the Washington Senators/Nationals have done on a few occasions. Then again the Nats/Sens name and colours never relocated with the franchise, in both instances (Twins and Rangers) both teams took new names and colours.

I think it's pretty much teal and purple or bust around here. Heck, a graphic designer from Nola even created a new identity with a slightly updated logo that's immensely popular as a second choice to the original logo returning.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Bannertop.jpeg

Archived