Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's something so '90s about extremely squashed and stretched text. Between that and the teal/purple, goodness. No wonder the internet wants the team back.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Charlotte NBA franchise has turned into a branding nightmare. Switching logos, colors, and jerseys every few years and now a complete name change. Not only that I just don't get huge support for the Charlotte Hornets. They were a team that existed for 14 years and never really won anything significant. Not to mention their identity was pretty terrible. I mean I grew up in the 90s but I don't want to go back.

Face it folks... we are old. 90s is retro now, and if we can have the flyers dressing up like the 70s and so many people want the new york jets to dress up like the 80s why can't the hornets identity BE the teal and purple 90s team? I love it. Its an identity just like the broadsheet bullys aesthetic.

Not to mention their identity was pretty terrible. I mean I grew up in the 90s but I don't want to go back.

No, the logo was pretty good. And the name is fantastic, combining a unique sports identity, a solid mascot and strong local resonance.

And just looking at style alone, I'd say there's a charm to their color scheme. It's not unlike how most people enjoy seeing the orange creamsicle jerseys from Tampa (which was fairly 70s) or the Chargers' powder blue jerseys (fairly 60s and VERY AFL.) Now I will admit that with the previous two examples, they're just throwbacks used occasionally. I don't know how well the Hornets' look will last as a full time identity.

Welcome back Hornets. http://news.sportslogos.net/2013/05/20/nba-on-the-path-to-renaming-bobcats-the-hornets/

EDIT: Why does this tag not work?[url =] text

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

There's really nothing negative to construe from this. The Bobcats identity was generic and it's only association is with years of failure.

That's not to say that the "New" hornets won't be associated with years of failure, as it definitely will, but if it gives those fans something to cheer about while simultaneously bringing back a familiar identity to the NBA, why not embrace it?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Charlotte NBA franchise has turned into a branding nightmare. Switching logos, colors, and jerseys every few years and now a complete name change. Not only that I just don't get huge support for the Charlotte Hornets. They were a team that existed for 14 years and never really won anything significant. Not to mention their identity was pretty terrible. I mean I grew up in the 90s but I don't want to go back.

The Hornets represent more than just an NBA team in Charlotte, but the NBA team was special in Charlotte. They were the first real pro sports team in the Carolinas. They finished last in their first season and the City of Charlotte threw them a parade, led the NBA in attendance for several seasons. The Bobcats franchise was a branding nightmare, but the Hornets brand is still strong here. This is a nice chance for the franchise to start over.

In general... This is great for the NBA.

The Hornets are well-recieved by fans of any team I've talked to. Just go check some of the guest posts on the Bobcats forums and SBnation. Plus, this is the beginning of pulling the NBA in Charlotte out of the cellar. Whether or not they rebrand in time for the coming season, one more year of rebuilding, then they are a low seed in the playoffs by most predictions. This has the potential to draw in much more revenue and generate a LOT more interest in the league, especially in the Carolinas.

The Hornets represent more than just an NBA team in Charlotte, but the NBA team was special in Charlotte. They were the first real pro sports team in the Carolinas. They finished last in their first season and the City of Charlotte threw them a parade, led the NBA in attendance for several seasons. The Bobcats franchise was a branding nightmare, but the Hornets brand is still strong here. This is a nice chance for the franchise to start over.

Sold out for NINE CONSECUTIVE seasons in what was the largest capacity arena in the NBA.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

The Bobcats brand was poorly conceived from the start (the first owner naming the team after himself was a joke) and was a screeching trainwreck on wheels the minute they started wearing those bland blue alternates instead of their unique orange uniforms. Every single change from their inaugural look was a downgrade.

Meanwhile, the Charlotte Hornets brand remains strong, memorable, and iconic. Nobody will miss the Bobcats name. Good riddance.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Bobcats brand was poorly conceived from the start (the first owner naming the team after himself was a joke) and was a screeching trainwreck on wheels the minute they started wearing those bland blue alternates instead of their unique orange uniforms. Every single change from their inaugural look was a downgrade.

Meanwhile, the Charlotte Hornets brand remains strong, memorable, and iconic. Nobody will miss the Bobcats name. Good riddance.

Despite the initial strong fan support for the Hornets didn't their fan base give up on them and run the owner and franchise out of town?

So while Hornets 2.0 will not be run by the former despised and disgraced owner, they are still the worst performing and managed franchise in the league.

This is NBA version of the Cleveland Browns or Washington Senators. Double Fail.

They were more Greensboro's team, but the Cougars probably have a better claim to that title.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Great move even though it probably means no Charlotte to Seattle move now since Charlotte fans will support the Hornets at least for a few more years now. Was hopeful for the Supersonics but glad for Charlotte Hornets fans.

Alas, Seattle continues to be the NBA's pawn / boogie man.

Great move even though it probably means no Charlotte to Seattle move now since Charlotte fans will support the Hornets at least for a few more years now. Was hopeful for the Supersonics but glad for Charlotte Hornets fans.

Alas, Seattle continues to be the NBA's pawn / boogie man.

You nailed it. Seattle is the NBA's LA. The only thing that would help Seattle would be if Maloofs/Hansen sue the owners for collusion due to blocking the sale to a qualified higher bidder. I have no idea if they have a case but lawsuits have been filed for much smaller business disputes.

Archived