Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

I can understand both sides of this issue, but for me, it all boils down to the notion that the fans ARE the team

No, they're not.

History is made by a combo of: 1) Ownership/Management, 2) Players/Coaches, 3) Fans/CIty. New Orleans has none of those 3 in regards to the Charlotte Hornets.

By that logic the 1965 AL pennant, won by the Twins, is on shaky ground. New ownership. Far different players. Same City (and fans in the right age group). 1 of 3.

No shaky ground at all. They still have 1 of the 3 and that was my point. If you have at least 1 of the 3 you can have a claim. If you have 0 of the 3 (like New Orleans), seems there is a good argument to allow the history to go back to the place where it was created. Especially if that city gets it's old name back.

Well then remove #2 entirely. The players and coaches are going to change no matter what.

Good point. Players/coaches probably meant more 20-30 years ago when they didn't change as much. Now, they rarely stay for their entire career so, surprisingly, they have both the least and the most to do with a team history.

So, in a way it strengthens the city claim to history since the fans may be the only true constant in the mix.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would Charlotte fans be happy with a new logo, and colours with a potential name change?(Like Winnipeg)

Or would they prefer to take embrace the old logo and colours like the Washington Senators/Nationals have done on a few occasions. Then again the Nats/Sens name and colours never relocated with the franchise, in both instances (Twins and Rangers) both teams took new names and colours.

I think it's pretty much teal and purple or bust around here. Heck, a graphic designer from Nola even created a new identity with a slightly updated logo that's immensely popular as a second choice to the original logo returning.

Link?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I can understand both sides of this issue, but for me, it all boils down to the notion that the fans ARE the team

No, they're not.

History is made by a combo of: 1) Ownership/Management, 2) Players/Coaches, 3) Fans/CIty. New Orleans has none of those 3 in regards to the Charlotte Hornets.

By that logic the 1965 AL pennant, won by the Twins, is on shaky ground. New ownership. Far different players. Same City (and fans in the right age group). 1 of 3.

No shaky ground at all. They still have 1 of the 3 and that was my point. If you have at least 1 of the 3 you can have a claim. If you have 0 of the 3 (like New Orleans), seems there is a good argument to allow the history to go back to the place where it was created. Especially if that city gets it's old name back.

Well then remove #2 entirely. The players and coaches are going to change no matter what.

Good point. Players/coaches probably meant more 20-30 years ago when they didn't change as much. Now, they rarely stay for their entire career so, surprisingly, they have both the least and the most to do with a team history.

So, in a way it strengthens the city claim to history since the fans may be the only true constant in the mix.

Except you can plug and play fans at will. Ragequit a team and there's always another sucker to replace you.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Would Charlotte fans be happy with a new logo, and colours with a potential name change?(Like Winnipeg)

Or would they prefer to take embrace the old logo and colours like the Washington Senators/Nationals have done on a few occasions. Then again the Nats/Sens name and colours never relocated with the franchise, in both instances (Twins and Rangers) both teams took new names and colours.

I think it's pretty much teal and purple or bust around here. Heck, a graphic designer from Nola even created a new identity with a slightly updated logo that's immensely popular as a second choice to the original logo returning.

Link?

buzz-city.jpg

Second Innaugural season logo

jersey-and-court.png

Alt. Jersey, court

charlotte-hornets-2013-style-guide-logos-1.png

Style sheet

img_9999.jpg

More logos

hornets-purple1.jpg

Purple alts

classic-hornet.jpg

Throwback Night

hornets-white-and-teal.jpg

Standard home & away (love it)

charlotte-hornets-2013-style-guide-court-1.png

Another court design. Gorgeous work in my opinion. All done by the masterful Bigdub81.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

Link?

buzz-city.jpg

jersey-and-court.png

Alt. Jersey, court

Style sheet

img_9999.jpg

More logos

hornets-purple1.jpg

Purple alts

classic-hornet.jpg

Throwback Night

Another court design. Gorgeous work in my opinion. All done by the masterful Bigdub81.

The only thing that I don't like is the Buzz Alt, other than that, its perfect. I hope the hornets come back with this, if they come back.

baltimoreravens.png

• 2 weeks later...

Link?

buzz-city.jpg

jersey-and-court.png

Alt. Jersey, court

Style sheet

img_9999.jpg

More logos

hornets-purple1.jpg

Purple alts

classic-hornet.jpg

Throwback Night

Yes.....just.....yes.

sig.png

If the Bobcats end up using the Hornets name, that'll really put me in a strange situation, since I grew up liking the Charlotte Hornets, and was overjoyed when they moved to my state. I haven't been impressed with anything I've seen from the "Pelicans" rebrand at all. So the brand that I followed could be used by a team I never cared about and have no connection to, while the actual team I care for now uses a brand I don't like at all.......

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

jtg9zfd2dllz0zhgef1eeictk.gifI think the only logo that I like out of the Bobcat brand is this "C" and wouldn't mind it staying with the Hornets.

It would be nice to see someone make the "C" teal and purple.

ts3iF7l.jpg?1

.:Braves...Panthers...Catamounts:.

cltc.gif

The actual currently used C.

cltc2.gif

The old C in Hornets colors.

cltc3.gif

Swapped. Personally, I think the darker color, even though it's secondary, works much better as the primary color for this logo.

cltc4.gif

Added Bigdub81's "Charlotte Sky" as a tertiary.

cltc5.gif

Orange was always an unofficial tertiary, especially on old Hornets merchandise.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

I honestly just cant like the purple and teal combi. I'm curious to see how teal/purple and Carolina blue look together though.

Edit:

Here's my rough re-color just to give an idea.

5ml2c5.png

I like the purple and teal, but I'm loving that Carolina blue.

Archived