Rite of Spring 2013 (NHL Playoffs): "You have no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive."

CS85

The Original Six was really a big sham and hardly worth romanticizing. That the NHL made it into 1967 with only six teams, and six highly incestuous teams at that, is really sort of pathetic vis-a-vis the rest of organized sports.

Despite your avatar, which is less funny than I think you intend it to be, I wholeheartedly agree. Without factoring in the 9 year discrepancy between Toronto/Montreal and Detroit/NY/Chicago it's still a sham. Do we disregard the teams that didn't make it to the "true" Original Six era? What about the Maroons, they're the only post 1926 non-original six team to win a Cup. It's all a marketing ploy, and a lame one at that.

EDIT: Forgot about the original Senators. If Ottawa claims responsibility for that Cup now, and there's some sort of continuation between franchises, wouldn't that make it 7?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just have to get out in front of everyone who will say that the Bruins need to be #bostonstrong to heal the city and that the Blackhawks should just get out of the way of this #bostonstrength. It's dangerous out here on the vanguard, I know.

#commodificationoftragedystrong

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I appreciate the fact my question sparked some conversation. Makes me feel like I accomplished a little something today :)

But yes, the Original Six moniker is a pretty big lie the league has been using for a while now to make money. Then again, I guess they just like stroking the ego of the already established markets, pretty much negating the rest of the league into the mob of "everyone else." I still wonder how the Sun Belt cities don't take it as a big middle finger that the league put what, six Winter Classics, on schedule this year because LA was going to headline it.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

I still remember how the Bruins were 5 minutes away from being flushed out of the 1st round.

It just goes to show how delicate the playoffs are. Chicago was down 3 games to 1 to Detroit and went to overtime in game 7. One misstep, bad bounce and the Red Wings win that game.

Hell, in 2011 both the Bruins and Canucks, the final participants that year, went to a game 7 OT in round 1. Those playoffs (which might be favorite year ever) could've easily have been wildly different.

When either the Bruins or Blackhawks win the cup the narrative will shift back to those "turning point" moments and how close they were to being eliminated. For Boston it happened in a 9 minute span in one game, for Chicago it was a 3 game stretch.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I just have to get out in front of everyone who will say that the Bruins need to be #bostonstrong to heal the city and that the Blackhawks should just get out of the way of this #bostonstrength. It's dangerous out here on the vanguard, I know.

I don't think rational Bruins fans have this line of thinking. Your assumptions about a particular city are once again incorrect.

God forbid you ever experience a tragedy in front of your own eyes. I'm sure you'd have a much different perspective.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

EDIT: Forgot about the original Senators. If Ottawa claims responsibility for that Cup now, and there's some sort of continuation between franchises, wouldn't that make it 7?

The Senators hang banners for the Cups won by the original Senators team, but the NHL's denied their request to be recognized as a continuation of the original team.

I don't think rational Bruins fans have this line of thinking. Your assumptions about a particular city are once again incorrect.

God forbid you ever experience a tragedy in front of your own eyes. I'm sure you'd have a much different perspective.

My problem isn't with Boston fans so much as a vapid and wildly irresponsible media and internet commentariat, but when I do, I won't make it a meme.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

...the two divisions at the time were called the American Division and the Canadian Division. Yes, there was the slight discrepancy of having five US teams and three Canadian teams, so one of those teams had to be paired off with their Canadian relatives, but it's pretty amusing that the one team that actually had "Americans" in their name was the one tabbed for that assignment. I know, I know, Canada is part of "North America", but we all know that the generic "America" term generally means the United States.

spacer.png

...the two divisions at the time were called the American Division and the Canadian Division. Yes, there was the slight discrepancy of having five US teams and three Canadian teams, so one of those teams had to be paired off with their Canadian relatives, but it's pretty amusing that the one team that actually had "Americans" in their name was the one tabbed for that assignment. I know, I know, Canada is part of "North America", but we all know that the generic "America" term generally means the United States.

The New York Americans used to be the Hamilton Tigers, so that's probably why.

I still remember how the Bruins were 5 minutes away from being flushed out of the 1st round.

It just goes to show how delicate the playoffs are. Chicago was down 3 games to 1 to Detroit and went to overtime in game 7. One misstep, bad bounce and the Red Wings win that game.

Hell, in 2011 both the Bruins and Canucks, the final participants that year, went to a game 7 OT in round 1. Those playoffs (which might be favorite year ever) could've easily have been wildly different.

and in 2010, the Flyers were down 0-3 to the Bruins in the second round (and down 3-0 in game 7) and went to OT of game 6 in the Finals

Curious tale on that, actually, courtesy the Wikipedia:

Just before [1925-26], Dwyer announced his team would be named the "New York Americans." Although he acquired the Tigers players, he didn't acquire the franchise; it was expelled from the league. As a result, the NHL does not consider the Americans to be a continuation of the Tigers—or for that matter, of the Tigers' predecessors, the Quebec Bulldogs. The Americans entered the league for the 1925–26 along with the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Americans and Pirates became the second and third American-based teams in the NHL, following Adams' Boston Bruins, who began the previous season.

Sure, your point still holds because it was much easier to not mess with divisional re-alignment, but I didn't seem to remember Hamilton being the predecessor to the Amerks, and, technically, my memory was right here. Back in the early days of the NHL, inception, folding, and relocation was a constant.

spacer.png

Curious tale on that, actually, courtesy the Wikipedia:

Just before [1925-26], Dwyer announced his team would be named the "New York Americans." Although he acquired the Tigers players, he didn't acquire the franchise; it was expelled from the league. As a result, the NHL does not consider the Americans to be a continuation of the Tigers—or for that matter, of the Tigers' predecessors, the Quebec Bulldogs. The Americans entered the league for the 1925–26 along with the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Americans and Pirates became the second and third American-based teams in the NHL, following Adams' Boston Bruins, who began the previous season.

Sure, your point still holds because it was much easier to not mess with divisional re-alignment, but I didn't seem to remember Hamilton being the predecessor to the Amerks, and, technically, my memory was right here. Back in the early days of the NHL, inception, folding, and relocation was a constant.

To be honest, I wasn't 100% sure of the official lineage, but I like to consider the Amerks as the continuation of the Tigers since they picked up Hamilton's entire roster.

The Senators hang banners for the Cups won by the original Senators team, but the NHL's denied their request to be recognized as a continuation of the original team.

Which is the right move, 59 years of inactivity does not make for a continuous franchise... This is why the current Senators should not be using that =O= logo on their shoulders or dressing up in a barberpole alternate.

Random thought that popped into my head as I am re-watching the series between Boston and Pittsburgh: Both game 7's were scheduled for this Wednesday. Bill Daly couldn't be at both at the same time so who would have presented the trophy of the series he wasn't at?

Well, unfortunately I'll be working during the game tonight. Just wanna say before going in that I have nothing but deep respect for the Bruins organization amd expect a great series to play out. Here's to a great series Boston fans. Go Hawks!

Midway.png

Archived