Rite of Spring 2013 (NHL Playoffs): "You have no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive."

CS85

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Epic comeback from the 'Hawks to tie it up - just gotta complete it now.

Proof that the word "epic" holds no substantial meaning anymore.

No, I'm pretty sure I know what "epic" means, judging from how this game has gone. B)

Then I can only imagine what word you would use to describe the Bruins' Game 7 comeback against the Maple Leafs.

Oh, wait, it's Boston so it was probably some cheating/SpyGate/Bill Belichick is the devil/Tommy from Quinzy stereotype/steroids/dumb luck scenario.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I'll admit that I went to sleep after the second overtime. I'm not missing anymore of this series. It could go down as one of the all-time best.

I fell asleep on the sofa during the second OT intermission and only woke up when the tv started blaring Chelsea Dagger.

I'm not going to ditch all of my justified criticisms of the Bettman regime just because of the performance of one Final game. But, according to sports ratings tracker Steve Lepore, here are your markets with the best TV ratings for Game 1, outside of Boston and Chicago:

Buffalo

Detroit

Pittsburgh

Minneapolis

Columbus

Tampa

Phoenix (!)

Raleigh

I know you can claim snowbirds for Arizona and Florida. But I'm impressed with Columbus and Raleigh.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

There are probably more Chicago/New England transplants in the Triangle than there are actual Hurricanes fans. It's still the most useless market in the league.

NBC is reporting Providence, Buffalo, and Milwaukee as the next three, though Providence I mean does that even count

EDIT: also, it would be a great idea for the Hawks and WGN to syndicate their weekend package to Milwaukee (probably WMLW), plus Madison, South Bend, Rockford, and downstate. It wouldn't be too much of an encroachment, because lot of that area gets CSN Chicago but doesn't get the local WGN feed. I mean, apparently Milwaukee loves it some Hawks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There's a lot of Chicago transplants in Columbus/longtime Columbus residents who were Blackhawks fans before the Blue Jackets were a thing. That said, we usually up there for any big time NHL event anyway.

The Phoenix appearance on that list is startling though.

and NBC decided to mic up Andrew Shaw

http://deadspin.com/andrew-shaw-was-micd-up-for-his-game-1-winner-and-it-513114029?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

and Andrew Shaw decided to declare his love for shinpads.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Julien on Shaw: "We know he's an agitator. We know he's good at embellishing, too, at times. We know all that stuff. We've done our research."

Lose with some dignity, jerkoff. It's one game and you blew a lead, why undermine the guy with the winning deflection? I'd hoped the collective of the Bruins would be a bit more graceful than that.

Talk about grasping for straws CS. What exactly was wrong with that statement? Everyone in the league knows that's what Shaw is. He embellished a "high stick" earlier in the game to draw a penalty and was just a general agitator all game. I've liked him all year and don't mind that type of play, it's good for the team. But don't pull the wool over your eyes, he's a prick.

As for the game, sure Chicago got a bunch of lucky bounces, but they earned them. This team straight up came to play last night and they look mighty scary. They out hustled the Bruins all night long and I think it was honestly a gift to be up 3-1.

Torey Krug is back to form with about 10 turnovers last night, one leading to a goal. I get its your first SCF but c'mon! And don't get me started on Daugavins channeling his inner Wayne Gretzky. Shoot the puck!

If this keeps up, regardless of who wins, this could go down as THE series to beat.

Not sure how to dissect this game. Chicago refuses to fade and runs the gauntlet with Boston, getting the bounce they needed to finally finish things. On the other hand, Boston was haunted by the number 2 all night (2 powerplays for too many men - 2 2-goal leads blown), yet still had multiple chances to finish before letting it slip away. Usually, I would write Boston off for a debilitating loss and assume they have to win Saturday since I don't see the Bruins winning four of five versus the monster that is Chicago. But considering how many chances were there, I just can't. I really have no idea what's going on here. and it's kind of freaky

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

I don't know that Shaw embellishes so much as he's like 5'9" and 180 pounds soaking wet and so it doesn't take much to knock him around. Total prick on the ice, though; total prick.

tumblr_mobfzsUQd61rlq3yfo1_400.jpg

I mean, look at this! It's the white version of the Muggsy Bogues/Manute Bol photo.

EDIT: I suppose my defense of Shaw may not be that good, as you shouldn't be in the business of getting your ass kicked anyway. It reminds me of Kings fans who are like "Dustin Brown doesn't dive! He's just really, really bad at keeping his balance on skates!" and it's like okay how are you even in the NHL if you're doing a slapstick act every time you are required to ambulate in the manner necessary for ice hockey, but then I watched the series and yeah, he kind of is bad at keeping his balance. Does he have an inner ear problem, maybe?

Talk about grasping for straws CS. What exactly was wrong with that statement? Everyone in the league knows that's what Shaw is. He embellished a "high stick" earlier in the game to draw a penalty and was just a general agitator all game. I've liked him all year and don't mind that type of play, it's good for the team. But don't pull the wool over your eyes, he's a prick.

I felt like it was in poor taste to say something that smacked of sour grapes after that kind of a game.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Good news everyone!

Game 1 of the Bruins/Blackhawks NHL Stanley Cup Final earned a 4.8 overnight rating on NBC Wednesday night, up 100% from Kings/Devils Game 1 last year (2.4), and up 50% from Bruins/Canucks Game 1 in 2011 (3.2). The 4.8 is the highest overnight for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final since Red Wings/Flyers on FOX in 1997 (5.1), and the third-highest Game 1 overnight since the final returned to broadcast television in 1995. Only Panthers/Avalanche Game 1 in 1996 (5.2) and the aforementioned Red Wings/Flyers game earned better numbers.

LINK

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Good news everyone!

Game 1 of the Bruins/Blackhawks NHL Stanley Cup Final earned a 4.8 overnight rating on NBC Wednesday night, up 100% from Kings/Devils Game 1 last year (2.4), and up 50% from Bruins/Canucks Game 1 in 2011 (3.2). The 4.8 is the highest overnight for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final since Red Wings/Flyers on FOX in 1997 (5.1), and the third-highest Game 1 overnight since the final returned to broadcast television in 1995. Only Panthers/Avalanche Game 1 in 1996 (5.2) and the aforementioned Red Wings/Flyers game earned better numbers.

LINK

It really says something about how deleterious the dead-puck era and lockout(s) were that we can have this gift from above of a star-studded big-city matchup, yet it still falls well short of a 1996 final featuring a team from Denver that didn't exist a year prior and an expansion team from Miami that was utterly bereft of star power and elite talent. And to think, we were excited about Bruins-Canucks getting that 3.2!

Archived