Rite of Spring 2013 (NHL Playoffs): "You have no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive."

CS85

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doc Emerick is the worst embodiment of the "folksy-down-to-earth-hard-workin'" hockey culture that seems so prevalent these days. I love hockey as a unique and special game too but I don't need some screeching parrot telling me someone "soccer'd" a puck to appreciate the sport for what it is.

Doc Emerick is the worst embodiment of the "folksy-down-to-earth-hard-workin'" hockey culture that seems so prevalent these days. I love hockey as a unique and special game too but I don't need some screeching parrot telling me someone "soccer'd" a puck to appreciate the sport for what it is.

Speaking of "down to earth" hockey culture, I just came up with an idea. Wouldn't it be a good idea to not have anyone call the Winter Classic (or at least a single period)? Just let the viewers listen to the sounds of the game, just like if you were watching guys play on a pond.

/back on topic

Speaking of "down to earth" hockey culture, I just came up with an idea. Wouldn't it be a good idea to not have anyone call the Winter Classic (or at least a single period)? Just let the viewers listen to the sounds of the game, just like if you were watching guys play on a pond.

/back on topic

It would be an interesting one-time experiment. I think football's had a game or two like that.

There was an NFL game televised by CBS like that back around 1980, involving the Dolphins (I'm sure dfwabel could give better specifics) where there were no announcers at all.

I think it was in part to prove a point to the league, and in part to experiment with whether viewers liked it.

"We are just moments away from the kickoff of today's Jets-Dolphins game and a telecast that figures to be different. The fact that we try something different and dare to has been greeted with almost every kind of reaction, from good-natured humor to applause to some surprising anger." -- Bryant Gumbel's first on-camera words on Dec. 20, 1980

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

There was an NFL game televised by CBS like that back around 1980, involving the Dolphins (I'm sure dfwabel could give better specifics) where there were no announcers at all.

I think it was in part to prove a point to the league, and in part to experiment with whether viewers liked it.

"We are just moments away from the kickoff of today's Jets-Dolphins game and a telecast that figures to be different. The fact that we try something different and dare to has been greeted with almost every kind of reaction, from good-natured humor to applause to some surprising anger."-- Bryant Gumbel's first on-camera words on Dec. 20, 1980

I'd prefer a no-announcer game over having to put up with Bryant Gumbel for three hours.

However, I do like the announcing tandem of Greg Gumbel and Dan Dierdorf on CBS. We in Atlanta got most of the games these two called last season, for however reason that worked out.

/back on topic

It would be an interesting one-time experiment. I think football's had a game or two like that.

The CFL went without TV announcers for a few games back when the CBC crew (IIRC) was on strike. It was pretty cool just listening to the sounds of the game.

Can the Bruins just elect to play 5 on 5 when the Blackhawks get a penalty?

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Peverley scored a powerplay goal? I'm pretty sure that is two signs of the apocalypse at once.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived