NFL teams that need new unis.

Decker85

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know why the 49ers sleeves are the way they are? There's only one full stripe on the game jerseys.. it makes no sense. There's room for all the three. And..

Eagles, do it.

p-449482-michael-vick-philadelphia-eagles-throwback-action-8x10-photo-cotg-8nfl-11910-40.jpg

Man a modernization of these would be beautiful.

i've seen a lot of hate for side panels here. why is that? is it just the high contrast like with the Bengals that makes it hard to look at? personally i think its a fine element that breaks up a lot of space on the jersey. not too far from what a stripe does on the pants or helmet

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i've seen a lot of hate for side panels here. why is that? is it just the high contrast like with the Bengals that makes it hard to look at? personally i think its a fine element that breaks up a lot of space on the jersey. not too far from what a stripe does on the pants or helmet

I agree with you. I'm a fan of side panels (if done properly). I think my theory as to why there's a bunch of hate now is that side panels might be considered by many to be a 90s/00s trend, and not something that can stand the test of time. Kind of like matte helmets and GFGS (Gray For Gray's Sake) now.

After seeing steelers wear white pants with the throwbacks a few seasons ago, the yellow pants look so bad to me now.

I can't stand the niners gold pants. I think it would be really cool, look good, and make sense if the niners added a denim blue secondary color and wore denim blue pants. Cause the whole connection of denim and the gold rush. Levi's.

You would likely be the only one of the minority that would go for that. The gold pants the Niners have are CLASSIC!! The red/gold home and white/gold away unis are iconic in the Bay Area!!!

The biggest reason they suck is that they don't work in practice as they do in theory. Jerseys are stretched super tight over the players, distorting the hell out of the side panel. The pants stripes are a fixed with the entire length, but the side panels which are supposed to match them will inevitably flair out and become almost twice as wide under the arms. Also, because the jerseys are so tight, they don't stay in place and aligned with the pants stripes. They would be off in almost every image. It works for basketball unis, but not for football.

Good:

460x.jpg

Bad:

20081204_williamses_33.jpgPat+Williams+Minnesota+Vikings+v+Chicago+Bears+nBre7cA8cVKl.jpg

usp-nfl_-new-england-patriots-at-buffalo-bills-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?1b79b3da202957124496e3768cfb7b67cdb10c81

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Okay so every team could use some small tweak to improve their uniforms but here are the ones i think could use an entire uniform redesign:

Dolphins: The new colors are great but it needs a standard block font, more orange and some better stripes, and minimal to no blue.

Saints: Match the pant stripes to the helmet, change the gold back to the original color, its much more appealing to the eye and if they must have black pants i only ask that they put a freaking stripe on them and wear something besides solid black socks.

Eagles: Their uniforms are so dark and dull. A brighter shade of green, if nothing else would do wonders.

Falcons: Current uniforms look very dated. I think a black home jersey with some stylized sleeve stripes and either a black or red helmet would look very sharp.

Jaguars: The helmet, good lord, is absolutely atrocious it looks like the primer is showing. If they fix the helmet by making it either black or teal flaked, the new uniforms are not too bad. Oh and move the patch to the sleeves.

Cardinals: I think something more traditional, not so piped, would work.

Rams: Royal blue and yellow is far superior to navy and gold.

Titans: If they just knew when to wear the right pants and got rid of the flames on the logo, they would be much improved.

Bengals: No side panels, contain the tiger stripes in the sleeve drop the stupid yellow yoke on the road jerseys.

Chargers: Pick either powder blue or navy to go with the yellow and roll with it.

Yep, I think that's all i got.

For me it's the Bucs that need to freshen up. I'm fine with the helmet, but I think they should go to two colored number on the jerseys, and the pewter pants to me are eh. There's a muddy look to them with the striping. Maybe drop the striping, but for me and I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I prefer the white pants. Maybe white pants with a thick pewter stripe outlined by a thin black like, and followed by a thick red line. I'm thinking drop the orange all together, and this is from someone who loves the Creamsicle uniforms.

I think its because most of the time its done poorly. Denver does it well, Cincinnati does not.

For me it's the Bucs that need to freshen up. I'm fine with the helmet, but I think they should go to two colored number on the jerseys, and the pewter pants to me are eh. There's a muddy look to them with the striping. Maybe drop the striping, but for me and I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I prefer the white pants. Maybe white pants with a thick pewter stripe outlined by a thin black like, and followed by a thick red line. I'm thinking drop the orange all together, and this is from someone who loves the Creamsicle uniforms.

And this is where I divulge an ugly little secret...I've long thought, purely from a design perspective, that my Buccaneers might well benefit from sticking strictly to vermillion and pewter (and white, if one must)—no black, no orange. It wouldn't be hard to do, but it would be hard to do while still maintaining their signature distinct look.

I've been studying ways to do it, but I haven't really come up with any decent solution that'd better what they have now...but I'm also still actively exploring this, too.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The only thing I can think of is the Texans. Go back to wearing red socks with the blue jerseys and white pants as well as the red socks with road whites and blue pants. Those sets were great the way they were.

Oh and IF they insist on the "Battle Red" day, please don't wear the red pants anymore with it (that is if they exist with the current Nike sets). I remember watching that one game when Houston came out in full red. It was a pain to watch.

I think its because most of the time its done poorly. Denver does it well, Cincinnati does not.

but what makes Denver's good and Cinci's bad?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Well, Denver's jerseys have a the same color(s) and shape from the pants to the jerseys. The Bengals' and the former Vikings' sets have a multiple colors/patterns in the side stripe, with the top portion of the pants stripe seemingly thrown on as an afterthought just to match up with the jersey stripe.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well, Denver's jerseys have a the same color(s) and shape from the pants to the jerseys. The Bengals' and the former Vikings' sets have a multiple colors/patterns in the side stripe, with the top portion of the pants stripe seemingly thrown on as an afterthought just to match up with the jersey stripe.

it's those parts of the pant's stripe that i like best. i think you just contradicted yourself. it wasn't "thrown in as an afterthought". it was done to match up with the stripe. can't be both. i think that's more interesting than having 1 solid color all the way down like the Broncos. i agree with your first point though that they get thrown out of proportion over the pads and as the jersey stretches, but that dosen't keep me from liking them in some applications. i dont mind if something isn't visually perfect, especially across 53 (or 22) players who are in motion

GRAPHIC ARTIST

it's those parts of the pant's stripe that i like best. i think you just contradicted yourself. it wasn't "thrown in as an afterthought". it was done to match up with the stripe. can't be both. i think that's more interesting than having 1 solid color all the way down like the Broncos. i agree with your first point though that they get thrown out of proportion over the pads and as the jersey stretches, but that dosen't keep me from liking them in some applications. i dont mind if something isn't visually perfect, especially across 53 (or 22) players who are in motion

I don't think the stripes would need to necessarily be single color, they just have to run the entire length. For instance, I really liked the overly busy Miami football uniforms from the early 00's, because the stripes didn't change. I don't think my point is a contradiction. It looks like they made the jersey stripe a different color than the pants, realized it late, and then altered the top of the pants to kinda tie them into the jersey. Now, I think the Bengals' black pants are terrible, but when paired with the black or orange jersey, the white at the top at least makes sense, as it looks like a continuation. However, on the white pants, the white "stripe" doesn't look like a stripe. Visually, there's a jersey with a white stripe with disjointed tiger stripes halfway down the pants. It doesn't flow.

Look at the Broncos - using the orange and white jerseys preclude them wearing navy pants, since both jerseys have navy stripes. They have never worn navy pants with anything other than the navy jersey because of it. If they made a pair of navy pants that had a small section of navy at the top to "tie it in" to the jersey stripes of the white and orange, it would feel every bit as half-assed to me.

And as for the side stripes, it's not a matter of not being able to get it perfect on 53 moving players, it's that it's never perfect, and rarely ever good. Some people have argued that designers should ignore fat linemen because they aren't going to look good in the uniform no matter what, but I disagree and think it's a dumb idea. If linemen look particularly silly in certain uniforms, time to scrap them. Yes, linemen do look particularly silly with side stripes. But it's not just about the lineman. The stripes don't tie in with the pants on anyone now-a-days, since the jerseys are so tight and more players are wearing them as belly shirts instead of tucking them into the pants (see Tom Brady). It doesn't matter if the stripes match up in photoshopped Nike promo pictures. If your franchise quarterback (who's considered to have a model physique/good looks, by the way) can't look good with the stripes, it's time to lose them.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

For me, they don't quite match up from jersey to pants, and often the jersey stripe isn't even the same color, or even style, as the pant stripe. The Broncos seem to be the only team that's gotten it right in my opinion......but that's a look that probably works for them and them only. Side panels always tended to clutter up a football uniform in my opinion. It's fine when used as the only unique design element in a jersey (Broncos), not so good when it's used as one among many (Bengals).

I've got a dark secret that I must share........the idea of the Rams in Royal Blue & Yellow again makes me cringe. Those jerseys always looked garish to me. Now if it was Navy & Yellow? Fine. But if it came down to going back to Royal & Yellow or tweaking the Navy & Gold jerseys to look better, the latter wins for me every time.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I like contrasting side panels if the sleeves are the same color as the side panel, like ... well, I can't think of a team that does it this way right now. But I like it when I do see it.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

Archived