NFL teams that need new unis.

Decker85

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the people that keep saying the Cowboys need to change or upgrade their look, you need to understand that every little nuance and idiosyncracy about their uniform has a specific, historical reason behind it. I dislike the Cowboys intensely. But they are one of the NFL's iconic teams and those uniforms are a big part of it. There's an article by Paul Lukas, which I don't have the time to look up and link to, that explains what's going on with the Cowboys' varying colors and details. Having read that, I think it would be almost criminal to alter any of it in the name of modernization and getting with the latest fads. And with Jerry Jones being as much of a diehard, possibly the most diehard Cowboys fan in history, I seriously doubt we will ever see anything more than an occasional one-off special uni for the Thanksgiving game or a throwback uni for a game here or there.

Mas uno. They're kind of like the NFL's Blackhawks, where they get away with certain elements and I'm ok with it because those things define their strong identities.

I'm not a Cowboys fan by any means but I grew up used to the royal blue on the whites with the black outlined sleeves, and the navy away unis with the double outline numbers, and of course the infamous greenish-silver pants. To the die hard fan there's an emotional attachment there that can't be replicated by uniformity.

Midway.png

I'm not a Nike hater, but...

It seems like Nike's intent is on showing off how "creative" they are by trying to justify every little thing they do. I don't want every team to have their own number font simply so they'll be "unique" because of it.

The proprietary fonts that so many team use now have been a big part of most NFL redesigns well before Nike became involved. I'm sure it has less to do with trying to be "unique" than it does with money. My guess is the NFL strongly encourages the teams to switch from a generic, easily replicable block number, to something actually owned by the team and/or the league. Not for any aesthetic reason, but to confound counterfeiters. Think about it this way; Let's say I want an authentic looking Raiders jersey. I can go buy a well-made plain black jersey, take it to my local mom and pop sports store to have silver numbers sewn on, and I am good to go. Now let's say I want an authentic looking Eagles jersey. Even if I track down that (ugly) color jersey, and somehow Ebay myself a few sleeve patches, I still need that font.

That's what all those little details are about... the NFL shield, the logo patches, the wordmarks (especially the wordmarks), and the unique fonts. Money they don't want to lose. I bet the NFL hates the Raiders' jersey, and would give anything for them to, at the very least, add a wordmark.

As for the fanciful explanations that Nike gives for their redesigns... damn, don't any of you watch Mad Men? Look, I'm trying to get you to buy my design. I can give you a long spiel about what it all means, how it relates to your history, and basically make you feel as though I have been obsessing over you and you only, all the while creating this personalized masterpiece. Or, I can say, hey we think this will look nice. Which do you think is better business?

While the raiders may have a simple design but its not that easy to copy (if you are looking for an authentic look anyway). The raiders twill has lines in it and has a sheen that fakes cant match. I never seen a fake jersey even come close to the twill used on authentic jerseys. Thats another way Nike can use block letters and not worry about losing sales.

Cowboys (will happen in 2014).

Browns (will also happen in 2014)

Bengals

Titans

Chargers road pants

Everybody else looks pretty good right now. The 3 changes for 2013 are all CLEAR upgrades, over the previous sets. The Dolphins look much better and cleaner then before. So do the Vikes. And despite the handringing from some of the goofs here, the Jags look much better and their jersey's and merchandise will be selling very well. Some of you just don't like progressive change and wish everyone looked the same. Thank God there are some teams in the NFL that don't adhere to those 1960's principles. Some teams like the Packers or Raiders or Bears or Colts should have traditional looks. Others don't need to do this. Because its a big world out there.

I heard with the browns more than likely 2015 if they choose to....But I see the orange pants, elf logo and striped socks for the home's returning

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Titans-A Total Reboot

Falcons-Add gray or silver back into the mix

Jets-Go back to J-E-T-S on the helmet

Rams-Ditch the current gold for original gold

I agree with the statement concerning the nike template and less room for sleeve stripes. I will also add the shrinking space on helmets for decals as a concern.

Old Dog Learning New Tricks.

The Cowboys need a massive overhaul period. Their "home" white jerseys with light blue pants (do we really call them that?) are just "BORING". The navy on silver uniform (although they hardly wear them at all) looks great, I suggest maybe a navy blue or royal blue helmet, have stars on the sides of their white jerseys (just like they do on the navy jerseys), and maybe break tradition and wear royal blue pants with stripes on the pants with a star on top of each pant stripe. That would make a dull white jersey look a whole lot better.

And another wish, I wish the Cowboys would stop living in the 70s and 80s and follow many other NFL teams by wearing their dark blue jerseys at home. They can follow other southern NFL teams by wearing white for the first few games at home, then switch to blue for the remaining home games as the weather gets colder. Or they can follow Miami's lead at wear their blue at home during primetime games. Whatever works, I usually doze off every time I see the Cowboys wear white at home. Not good!!

No dude... just, no. And they're the team that STARTED with teams wearing white at home. They don't need to "follow" anyone.

Just match the blues and silvers, and white is ALWAYS worn at home. Period.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Jets- I agree, go back to the Jet helmet. maybe lighten up the green a bit too.

Cardinals- Colours, logo are fine. They just need to get rid of the horrid jerseys.

Baltimore-I know they just won a Super Bowl, but they could still use a few tweaks in my opinion. I'm not a big fan of the helmet. The toilet seat collar needs to go. A different font would be nice, at least get rid of the dropshadow. And I can't stand when teams wear the same colour socks as their pants. They look like capris.

Bengals- No more white side panel. Orange socks.

San Diego- Go back to powder blue. Wouldn't mind seeing a return to numbers on the helmet.

Jaguars- Not so much new uniforms, but a new helmet is absolutely needed.

Patriots- Could use an update.

Saints- Get rid of the toilet seat collar. Same deal with Baltimore and capris.

Giants- Blasphemy here, but I don't like how disjointed their home and away are. I'd like to see them unified a bit more. Maybe some sort of striping on the home and some blue on the road. I understand "blue at home, red on the road" is sort've their schtick but I don't have to like it.

49ers- I'd say they have the best look in the league if they'd just fix their shoulder stripes.

Seahawks- I'm not quite sure what I'd do here. Lighten the blue slightly, darken the green. Maybe darken the grey a tiny bit too. Change the striping. I'm not a big fan of the sleevehawk, but a return to blue over green/green over blue striping would look good. I don't mind the tribal pattern, but the tire track needs to be taken off the helmet. I do like the helmet being blue though.

The Cowboys need a massive overhaul period. Their "home" white jerseys with light blue pants (do we really call them that?) are just "BORING". The navy on silver uniform (although they hardly wear them at all) looks great, I suggest maybe a navy blue or royal blue helmet, have stars on the sides of their white jerseys (just like they do on the navy jerseys), and maybe break tradition and wear royal blue pants with stripes on the pants with a star on top of each pant stripe. That would make a dull white jersey look a whole lot better.

And another wish, I wish the Cowboys would stop living in the 70s and 80s and follow many other NFL teams by wearing their dark blue jerseys at home. They can follow other southern NFL teams by wearing white for the first few games at home, then switch to blue for the remaining home games as the weather gets colder. Or they can follow Miami's lead at wear their blue at home during primetime games. Whatever works, I usually doze off every time I see the Cowboys wear white at home. Not good!!

No dude... just, no. And they're the team that STARTED with teams wearing white at home. They don't need to "follow" anyone.

Just match the blues and silvers, and white is ALWAYS worn at home. Period.

Don't even match the blues. Leave it as is.

newsig.jpg

Bengals - black and orange jerseys are not bad, do away with the white stripe on the sides. White jersey needs the orange shoulders to go.

Falcons - go back to the unis they had that they use for alternates

Titans - come up with a complete new system.

Broncos - ditch the navy blue and go back to the 80's royal blue.

Eagles - less black more silver

Eagles

I really have hated midnight teal....but the whole look is just bleh

I'd prefer Kelly green....but I'd take any shade that reads as green all the time.

Better number font, less detailed wings, and much more silver (pants).....keep black to a minimum as trim.

The Bengals and that's about it. Ideally they'd just go back to something similar to the day and age of Corey Dillon.

Dallas has been wearing the mismatching blues and silvers for ages now it seems, that's their look. I'm not sure they should change that just because it would match better.

Royal blue pants?!!!

Imho this proposal would result in the ugliest uniform in football history.

Well, it would look a whole lot better than their BORRRIIIIINNNNGG look they have now!!

Archived