NBA Changes 2013-14 Season

Burkell007

it's funny to me, because i've thought of this quite a bit... whenever people in the concept forums create new sports, the majority of the time, they all settle on an aesthetic that is similar to these christmas uniforms.

sports aesthetics as a whole seem to be based entirely on "this is how we do it." and if it's not in that mold, then people flip out. even though a lot of the time there's not much reasoning behind why that's the aesthetic.

i just don't see why sleeved basketball jerseys don't work, except the reason that people don't like them because they're not "how we do it." if the sleeves gradually grew by a centimeter per re-design until they had sleeves, would people be upset? that's pretty much what happened with football, only the opposite direction. fans continue to buy sleeved jerseys, seemingly uncaring that they look very little like what the athletes wear.

i guess i'm just getting all existential on the topic for no reason, but if a team wanted to come up with a hooded hockey jersey, it's not like it would greatly hamper the performance of the athletes on the ice. i bet a baseball game played in basketball uniforms would have the exact same result, save for a tad more sunburn. i applaud creativity, and i feel that with a bit more creativity, these sleeves christmas jerseys could be the best looking uniforms in the game.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's funny to me, because i've thought of this quite a bit... whenever people in the concept forums create new sports, the majority of the time, they all settle on an aesthetic that is similar to these christmas uniforms.

sports aesthetics as a whole seem to be based entirely on "this is how we do it." and if it's not in that mold, then people flip out. even though a lot of the time there's not much reasoning behind why that's the aesthetic.

i just don't see why sleeved basketball jerseys don't work, except the reason that people don't like them because they're not "how we do it." if the sleeves gradually grew by a centimeter per re-design until they had sleeves, would people be upset? that's pretty much what happened with football, only the opposite direction. fans continue to buy sleeved jerseys, seemingly uncaring that they look very little like what the athletes wear.

i guess i'm just getting all existential on the topic for no reason, but if a team wanted to come up with a hooded hockey jersey, it's not like it would greatly hamper the performance of the athletes on the ice. i bet a baseball game played in basketball uniforms would have the exact same result, save for a tad more sunburn. i applaud creativity, and i feel that with a bit more creativity, these sleeves christmas jerseys could be the best looking uniforms in the game.

What happened to football jerseys was for performance purposes, the shorter tighter sleeves left less material to grab and hold on to, for basket ball sleeves arent liked because there is no performance advantage to them. They are just a ploy by Adidas to try and sell more jerseys thats failing. Also the players themselves say they dont like them so there is no reason for them, they also add nothing to the design, the numbers on the sleeve could easily be moved to the front and would be easier for the refs to see.

Ok, color vs. color is becoming a trend lately. Before it used to be the Lakers at home vs. the opponent on a non-Sunday or Christmas game. Now it looks like games are getting more colorful. But some didn't follow.

TOR-ATL: Hawks wore red alts at home. But Raptors wore white when they should have worn their black alts.

BOS-DET: Pistons wore 'Motor City' alts at home. But Celtics wore white when they should have worn their green aways. (BOS did wear green vs. Orlando's blacks).

MIA-BKN: Nets wore black at home. But Heat wore white when they should have used their red alts.

CHI-PHI: 76ers wore blue at home. But Bulls wore white when they should have used either their red aways or their black alts.

DEN-SAC:Kings wore purple at home. But Nuggets wore white when they should have used their baby blue aways or their gold alts. (DEN did wear baby blue vs. Utah's navy).

UTAH-TOR: Raptors wore camouflage alts at home. But Jazz wore white when they should have used their navy aways.

These color vs. color matchups are serving me well, except for teams wearing white on the road vs. the opponent in a different color.

I agree with you. I hate seeing home whites on the road. Color vs. Color is just beautiful and if the colors contrast wear them! We live in a world of HD, we can tell the difference! The Jazz-Nugs game was gorgeous with the Jazz blue vs. Nuggets sky blue.

MORE PLEASE!

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Will they ever treat these like soccer jerseys where players can decide if they want short or long sleeves? Whereas for the NBA, it's sleeve or sleeveless?

This has been my ideal proposition since Adidas trotted out the sleeved jerseys. Makes sense to me.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Will they ever treat these like soccer jerseys where players can decide if they want short or long sleeves? Whereas for the NBA, it's sleeve or sleeveless?

This has been my ideal proposition since Adidas trotted out the sleeved jerseys. Makes sense to me.

My only fear with this is that if given the option, I'd say 95% of the players will go sleeveless and that will be embarrassing for Adidas that nobody wants to wear their sleeved jerseys

Go A's!

This is the best solution. If players don't wanna wear them (which I assume close to 90% won't) they don't have to. But if fans want a sleeved option because they don't wanna show off the guns, they can go ahead and do so.

Obviously that can't happen with these because the numbers but with other designs that will work.

Cole, I'm not sure the backlash on the Christmas jerseys are all about the sleeves at this point. They aren't creative in a vacuum, and next to matching creations for every team, they are even worse... sleeves or no sleeves.

At least existing basketball jerseys -- boring or not -- are generally different from each other. It's a missed opportunity for adidas.

Checked the last few pages and didn't see it mentioned (sorry if it was), but the Sixers are wearing a black strip on both jerseys for the rest of November to honor former equipment manager Jeff Millman, who passed away one week after the team honored him

img24204930.jpganderson-varejao-flop.jpg

I really want them to do this instead of force everyone to wear sleeves. Let's face it, sleeves won't work for everyone and they should realize that.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived