Your most precious/cherished sports possession(s)

dbadefense1990

I guess if I had to pick one item, it would be my Corey Perry Ducks third jersey signed by Perry on the back, and Teemu Selanne, Ryan Getzlaf, Bobby Ryan, Francois Beauchemin, and a few other Ducks on the front logo. I got all those signatures at Ducks training camp a couple years ago. I also have a few other nice sports collectables I'd like to share:

-Brooks Robinson signed baseball

-Game used hockey sticks (Toni Lydman & Ryan Whitney)

-Craig Biggio autographed 3000 hit poster

-Bobby Ryan signed photo

-Shawn Green signed baseball (first one I ever personally got)

-Torii Hunter signed baseball

-somewhere I have an Angels hat signed by Torii Hunter and Mark Teixeira

-I have a few other signed baseballs that I can't remember who signed them

-I also have a box of used ticket stubs with over 100 tickets or so

-I cherish all my jerseys and hats

-I have lots of random Ducks items like Media Guides, posters, etc. that I cherish

-I also have at least a dozen baseballs that I've gotten at MLB game batting practices

None of those autographs were purchased, all were either acquired in person, or as a gift from somebody. Screw buying autographs.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying that this is the same kind of ring like what 'red has with the 2011 Cardinals, but, hell, it was a gift that I had no expectation of receiving. Good enough for me.

My Cardinals ring isn't a players ring. The GF bought mine from the Cardinals "Championship Collection." It's a really nice ring, but it's not one of the 25K models like the players get. But, it is a World Series ring, and that's all that matters to me. B)

It's harder than hell to get a good picture of it with the lens I use, but here it is.

18ae6305-fda5-4c3b-b1b5-feb78171546d.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

I was about 15 seconds too late at the Rox spring training facility. I was at their dugout on one of the practice fields as they were finishing up BP, and Tulo was at the edge of the dugout giving out autographs. I didn't really have anything on me at the time except for my glove and a sharpie, so I brought that up to him. I was second in line to get stuff signed when he says he had to leave.

I don't really know what I would've done during baseball season, glove wise.

spacer.png

I had the pleasure of meeting my dad's childhood hero and my own. So I had Pete Rose sign a ball at a card show and my mom bought me a Nolan Ryan autograph for a birthday. When I met Nolan Ryan, my cousin and myself were in a private tour of the Ballpark In Arlington when Nolan walked into the locker room. I thanked him for the memories and asked if I could have a picture taken. I keep that picture of that up at work along with family pictures. Now that my son was born two weeks ago, I want to down the line get him the chance to see his hero and put up an autograph ball next to grandpa's and my hero.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

Of all the stuff I have, three standout to me:

An autographed card of every member of the Lightning Cup winning team, everyone who played that season. One of my favorite display pieces.

A personalized Khabibulin letter and autographed photo. I am extremely lucky to be in a position to bump into players quite a bit but I got this for my birthday way before that and holds a special place.

A Lightning salesmen sample championship ring.

Dave Boss Saints poster circa 1966 (uni depicted has minor but obvious differences from actual unis - FDL, sleeve stripes colors reversed)

Copy of "Dallas Cowboys: Pro or Con?" autographed by author Sam Blair, Bob Lilly, & Bob Hayes (no pic)

Ticket stub (note face value: $15) and set of matching pennants for Cowboys & Dolphins from SB VI

Saints bobblehead & Tulane Stadium popcorn container/megaphone - both circa 1967

Memories & pics from ESPN Gameday & 2008 OU rout of #2 Texas Tech

Memories & pics from 2004 visit to Lambeau (pic taken from my seat)

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1812-1.jpg

Grady20Draws20a20Deuce.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I generally think autographed memorabilia is lame (this stems to my days working Blue Jackets autograph events when I worked at Nationwide Arena and the types of people who seek autographs tend to be the great unwashed dorks of sports fans. "Oh, let's wait in a long ass line to "meet" some role player that'll be out of the sport in 6 years so he can scribble something on a pennant I bought 9 years ago. Maybe he'll let me lean in awkwardly and smile politely while my enormous wife takes a picture of us" You get the idea).

but I've had this since I was 8 years old. For a few years in the 90's my dad worked at 700 wlw in Cincinnati and I lived in Columbus. He had close access to all of the Reds and Barry knew he was Pat's kid's favorite player so he gave him this. It has a little more sentimental value than just standing in a line at an autograph show and it's been on my wall everywhere I've lived.

blark_zps57fd87c2.png

Love that dude and I love his wristbands that have a picture of him on them. Meta.

Also, my game used Reds batting helmet is pretty sweet. I have yet to wear it to a game, but I want to.

battinghelmet_zps54ffe122.png

I really want a game used Bengals helmet, but it'll be awhile before I have the funds to acquire one of those.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Mine would be actually something my dad owns, but we cherish all the same. It's a signed Ryan Smyth Oilers jersey. He is my dad's favourite player of the post-Dynasty era, so it's pretty cool.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I have a pair of cleats from US captain Carlos Bocanegra worn in the 2009 Confederations Cup. I have not verified if he wore the same shoe the entire tournament. I do know he wore the same model for every game (orange Total 90 with embroidered Bocanegra) but he could have swapped out the firm ground studs for soft ground. That would definitely change the value (especially if they were worn in the Spain upset) but it doesn't matter to me since I'm not going to sell them.

I have a few nice pieces autographed by Honus Wagner and UGA 1980 receiver Lindsay Scott but it's probably the shoes for me.

I have a team ball signed by the 2002-2003 Washington Wizards. It's notable because it was the last team Michael Jordan played on, and includes his signature.

That's about it. I'm not a big memorabilia guy, but think other people's stuff is cool. This is a neat topic.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I generally think autographed memorabilia is lame (this stems to my days working Blue Jackets autograph events when I worked at Nationwide Arena and the types of people who seek autographs tend to be the great unwashed dorks of sports fans. "Oh, let's wait in a long ass line to "meet" some role player that'll be out of the sport in 6 years so he can scribble something on a pennant I bought 9 years ago. Maybe he'll let me lean in awkwardly and smile politely while my enormous wife takes a picture of us" You get the idea).

So true. As a favor to a friend, I stood in line to get Roberto Duran's and Pete Rose's autograph at the "National" in Cleveland a few years back. It was the one and only (not to mention, as I decided on the spot, the last) time I've ever done that. The people were either "great unwashed dorks" or professionals. Watching these people slobber all over those guys was uncomfortable and a little embarrassing. When my turn finally came, I simply said thank you and moved along.

BB52Big.jpg

Also, my game used Reds batting helmet is pretty sweet. I have yet to wear it to a game, but I want to.

battinghelmet_zps54ffe122.png

I suggest you don't wear the helmet to a game, unless you want to look like you came on a short bus.

Some of my possessions include:

-Ticket booklet from the 2009 World Juniors. I kept all the tickets in there and just brought the book to every game so I wouldn't lose any of the tickets.

-Stick that a Slovak player gave me after the quarter-final game where they beat the US

-Christian Hanson game-worn Leafs jersey

-Lyle Overbay game-worn Jays jersey

So true. As a favor to a friend, I stood in line to get Roberto Duran's and Pete Rose's autograph at the "National" in Cleveland a few years back. It was the one and only (not to mention, as I decided on the spot, the last) time I've ever done that. The people were either "great unwashed dorks" or professionals. Watching these people slobber all over those guys was uncomfortable and a little embarrassing. When my turn finally came, I simply said thank you and moved along.

This commercial from a while back seems strangely appropriate...

I've been to most Rays FanFest festivities since either '07 or '08, and it seems like such a waste of time to spend countless time in line for autographs when there's plenty other to do. This applies to all kinds of baseball events.

spacer.png

Signed baseballs by:

Ferguson Jenkins

BJ Upton

Jonathan Lucroy (current Brewer, played single A ball in Florida on the team when I worked there)

David Price on a Florida State League ball when he was in Single A Vero Beach in 2008

Pavel Kubina Lightning hockey puck

Countless Rays, Lightning, and minor league teams i used to work for bobbleheads

Game used USF Bulls football with Bull logo embossed into the leather

Having collected various memorabilia for over two decades, there's not really one specific piece that's far and above the others in terms of how I value it.

However, in terms of uniqueness, being the possessor of the actual franchise applications and related documentation for all six of the USFL's 1984 expansion franchises (as well as those of a group from Minneapolis and some others that didn't make the cut) ranks up there pretty high. They'll go to the HOF when I die, whereupon my kids get a tax break I reckon. LOL

nav-logo.png

Cool topic.

Hard to choose for me, so I'll list a few (in no particular order) --

1. Glove used in the minor leagues by George Bamberger (former Orioles pitching coach, Brewers and Mets manager). His wife bowled with my mother, so he gave it to me when I was about 8 (along with lots of giveaway extras/leftovers, like rain jackets, batting helmets, etc.). It is still in my hall closet.

2. Tickets stubs from Super Bowl III (attended by my father) and Super Bowl V (attended by both of my parents).

3. Orioles 1966 World Champions rocks glasses.

4. Programs from Super Bowl V and VI and the 1970 AFC Championship Game.

5. Copy of the cover drawing for the blueprints for M&T Bank Stadium.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived