NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EJ Manuel is clearly the next Joe Montana.

Joking of course, but it's nice to see a Bills first-round QB look competent (not dominant or anything) in preseason. He comes in, doesn't make mistakes, and scores a couple of TDs. Nice.

Also, GTFO Kolb.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

*Watching Second Half of Rams-Packers*

BRB wrapping starting linemen and Bradford in bubble wrap.

EDIT-St. Louisans are so enthusiastic about the team this year that the stadium just exploded after the Packers scored a TD.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

*Watching Second Half of Rams-Packers*

BRB wrapping starting linemen and Bradford in bubble wrap.

EDIT-St. Louisans are so enthusiastic about the team this year that the stadium just exploded after the Packers scored a TD.

That score by the third-stringers notwithstanding, the Packers' defense has looked a helluva lot better than their offense tonight.

CCSLC signature.png

Did Jenkins ever really get a chance with the Niners? Only played 37 offensive snaps, only one target (drop) over 16 games last year. I'm not sure if this is a matter of not learning the playbook, fitness, inability to stand out during practice, or whatever the hell you may suspect. But it's curious. It's pretty telling when a team like San Francisco, who are a bit short in the passing game right now with their off-season departures and injuries, decides to give up on someone they drafted in the first round last year. From what I could gather, Jenkins was certainly having a miserable camp and pre-season this year, so it's not entirely unjustified.

The beat goes on. For two teams with stellar rosters, the Niners and Seahawks have not enjoyed pleasant off-seasons so far. On the AFC side, you can add the Broncos and Patriots to that mix.

spacer.png

All sports need a rookie wage scale, no way should someone just starting make the same big deal of an establihed star. Just think of JaMarcus Russell he may have actually worked hard if he needed to earn a big contract.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

@Blue Sky, I did try to have some respect for the work that they did, but they are trying to get at something in their study that is highly subjective. The goal was literally to rank the "most loyal and supportive fanbases". To me, that means that the Bills should be relatively high: we still root for the team and do pretty well filling an old (and not in the nice way) stadium that is 7th biggest in the league, and we haven't won a playoff game since Clinton's first term. To other people, it might mean something different. In order to do a study like this, you have to operationalize your variable. All this study is (and I don't mean it in a demeaning way) is saying something like "we'll take box office revenue divided by stadium capacity times 1/median income squared and THAT is what fan loyalty really is. More specifically, they came up with a statistical model to predict what box office revenue would be, and then graded teams on how they actually performed versus what the model predicted... which to me puts a little too much importance on your original model in the first place. Are the Cowboys the "most loyal" fanbase because they moved into a giant new stadium during the period that the researchers looked at?

Yeah that study seems off. It's going to annoy the hell out of my Browns fan friends to see the Bengals ahead of them, but even as a Bengals fan I wouldn't rank our fanbase ahead of Cleveland's. If the Bengals had moved in 1995, there's no way we'd have gotten another team, let alone our old history back.

This is a baseball city with a football team. Cleveland is a football city with a baseball team (and sometimes a basketball team).

PvO6ZWJ.png

Expectedly, I just heard on the 4-letter network that Brandon Weeden and Michael Vick have won their respective QB competitions.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

You're a bit of a Vikings masochist, aren't you?

I've never known Minnesota sports fans, in general, to be the non-supportive types. In addition, the Vikings are a team that has been around for over 50 years and has some nice lore associated with their brand. Their only historical problem is that they were really really good at the wrong time.

I'm a bit jaded myself, but with the way I know Floridian fan bases with professional teams, I would probably have the Jags, Bucs, and Dolphins all towards the very bottom of this kind of ranking. San Diego wouldn''t be far behind.

Why the metrodome used to be so loud for the Twins and not the Vikes has been discussed and some think it's because we're waiting for the other shoe to drop. The Vikings are the Cubs of the NFL. They have not truly won a big game since the 1980s (a playoff upset at San Francisco, though the recent playoff win at Lambeau was nice).

As for the fans in Minnesota, we don't have unpurchased playoff tickets like in some cities, but we are pretty fair weather.

And the relationship with the Vikings is probably the most odd of the four teams. Sure, people are tired of the Twins rebuilding, the Wild's mediocrity, and the Wolves place in the NBA, but the Vikings are usually competitive (a good thing) and always let us down. I recently heard that aside from the Cowboys, the Vikes have been in the playoffs more times than anyone in the Super Bowl era. Add to that the overwhelming following that the NFL has and that probably 1/4 of NFL fans are fans of God's Team (the Packers) and it's sort of an odd fandom. Wisconsinites that transplant themselves often adapt to the Twins (particularly western Wisconsinites with a minimal relationship to Milwaukee), but they stick with the Packers. If the Vikings move, I think the Twin Cities will quickly become a Packer town (though some like me will pretty much leave the NFL alone).

Relative to teams with no championships (well one that does not count since they ended up losing a pre-merger Super Bowl), the Vikings are a relatively important franchise. But there is frustration with the continued drought and there is just a lot of negativity in Minnesota right now because every team is bad...or at least was before the Vikes squeaked into the playoffs last year.

My present frustration is that they have a pretty good team, but not a good enough team to make up for Christian Ponder. I wish they'd drafted Russell Wilson. Also, while I acknowledge the ferver of the Packers fan base (which was part of my reasoning on the above post), it also brings out frustration because of this feeling that the God's Team is more than just a football team (and the ferver was definitely diminished in the 1980s). Even so, there is no question that they have much, and not slightly, better fans overall.

My overall comment is that it's not possible to quantify how good all the fanbases are.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Fair enough. Totally agree than fan loyalty is difficult to quantify and the study is proof. By posting this thing I wasn't endorsing it. Should have realized it wouldn't sit well with some.

Some people complain about "lists" in general, but I think they're usually fun; these people actually had methodology, which makes it infinitely more interesting to discuss than a random Bleacher Report article. Any time a list comes out for cities/universities/teams, I'm usually content to just be kept out of the bottom 10% or so that everyone laughs at.

Came across this gif today. Have to save it for something special.

UfwuLIm.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived