NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. A rare red-zone interception for Manning. Still a two possession game at halftime.

Yup, because that was at all Manning's fault.

Regardless of who's fault it was, a pass thrown by Manning was intercepted.

The Chargers are still in this thing, but it may take another onside kick. It would be in heir best interest to make sure Manning doesn't touch the ball again.

Wow. A rare red-zone interception for Manning. Still a two possession game at halftime.

Yup, because that was at all Manning's fault.

Regardless of who's fault it was, a pass thrown by Manning was intercepted.

The Chargers are still in this thing, but it may take another onside kick. It would be in heir best interest to make sure Manning doesn't touch the ball again.

Well, they didn't onside kick it, instead they gave it to Manning and never got it back. You deserved it, Chargers.

I loved the fight this team showed in the fourth quarter. Definitely encouraging. That being said, this game is squarely on the coordinators.

Whisenhunt was clearly too focused on his job interviews this week to actually gameplan for the Broncos. The fact that he kept stubbornly running the ball so much in the first three quarters was inexplicable and inexcusable. Like I said early on in the game, it was loser playcalling, so losing is not a surprise really. Whoever hires this guy as their head coach is making a big mistake after this and how his time in Arizona ended.

The defense made some plays and hung in there, but there were WAY too many neutral zone infractions, and a year after 4th-and-29, they gave up a big play on 3rd-and-17 to lose the game. They've had trouble on 3rd and long all year. Nothing against Pagano, but I'd like to see what this defense can do with someone like Ray Horton coaching.

Also, I'll be very happy if I never see Shareece Wright or Johnnie Troutman in a Chargers uniform again.

Oh well. The NFL gets their dream Brady/Manning rematch. Puke. Guess I'm rooting for the NFC this year.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Whisenhunt was clearly too focused on his job interviews this week to actually gameplan for the Broncos. The fact that he kept stubbornly running the ball so much in the first three quarters was inexplicable and inexcusable.

I understand why he did that. The game plan was "run the ball, stretch drives out, keep Manning off the field." It's good in theory, and it's worked before. The problem was that Denver simply came in ready to stop the run game. So it turned into a bunch of three and outs that resulted in Manning getting more time on the field and, well, we all saw what he did. The Chargers' offence really started to come alive once Whisenhunt allowed them to loosen up and spread the ball around.

I can't come down to hard on the defence, even if they did essentially lose the game by failing to stop Manning and co. at the end. Sure, they couldn't tackle at some points to save their life but it was a classic "bend don't break" game for them. They limited the "greatest offence in the history of the NFL" (really Phil Simms?) to just 24 points. If someone had told me "hey the Broncos will only put up 24 points" I'd have told them "I think the Chargers have a shot." Problem was that offence. They stuck to a game plan that just wasn't working and it cost them the game.

Congrats to the Broncos and their fans. The game in New England should a good one.

Anyway I'm in a tough spot. The Charges and the Panthers (who I was bandwagoning for) are both out, and I really don't like who's left. Denver? Pfft no. New England? Ugggg. San Francisco? No thanks. Seattle? I couldn't tell you why if you asked, but I just don't like them. Maybe it's the Nikefied uniforms.

So I guess I'll pull for New England. I don't like the team, and I don't like Tom Brady. That being said Brady is, in my opinion, the best quarterback of his generation. So I guess I'll pull for him under the condition of wanting to see greatness get rewarded.

Whisenhunt was clearly too focused on his job interviews this week to actually gameplan for the Broncos. The fact that he kept stubbornly running the ball so much in the first three quarters was inexplicable and inexcusable.

I understand why he did that. The game plan was "run the ball, stretch drives out, keep Manning off the field." It's good in theory, and it's worked before. The problem was that Denver simply came in ready to stop the run game. So it turned into a bunch of three and outs that resulted in Manning getting more time on the field and, well, we all saw what he did. The Chargers' offence really started to come alive once Whisenhunt allowed them to loosen up and spread the ball around.

Problem is, Whisenhunt didn't loosen up the offense until we were down big in the fourth quarter. Three whole quarters in a winnable game were wasted by his stubborn refusal to abandon a failed gameplan and adjust.

Also, the past two games, Rivers threw 6 times and 8 times in the first half respectively. That's not good enough. When you have an elite franchise quarterback under center, it's self-defeating to not let him throw early and often.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived