Baseball in Montréal

BigBubba

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/fans-are-watching-tampa-bay-rays-on-tv-8212-a-popularity-that-could-pay/2135859

http://tbo.com/sports/rays/sternberg-likes-direction-of-tampa-bay-rays-20140331/

After drawing more than 1.8 million fans in each season from 2008-10, the Rays have averaged approximately 1.5 million in the past three years. The club’s average attendance of 18,646 per game last season was markedly below baseball’s overall average (30,514), but Sternberg is buoyed by local TV ratings that rank in the upper third of the 30 teams.

“I focus on the people who are here, not the ones who are not here, and we focus on the people who are engaged on television, on the radio, on the Internet, reading the papers, reading the blogs,’’ said Sternberg. “The TV side of it, the ratings are nothing to scoff at and it’s something that has continued to give us the belief that major-league baseball can thrive in the region.’’

"Upper third"... I woulda just said "Top 10" but hey, that's just me.

Thanks DC. Now we're talking :D

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice try at humor, but they have one of the best TV ratings in the MLB. Just goes to show you stadium location does play a major fault with the Rays, not the lack of interest.

Can you prove your point about tv ratings?

Our opening day got a a 5.7 household rating, which is impressive for a small market team. Of course, teams like Detroit got a much higher household rating, the population of St. Petersburg compared to Detroit is huge. I did a High School internship with the Rays and that was one of the major points that was stressed during the internship. How do we push the great TV ratings we get into fans in the actual seats. I was in the Journalism/Advertising department. I'd say that's pretty legitimate, but then again, you question everything I post.

So the best evidence that has been presented to back up your claim states that "If ratings maintain their present pace, Rays viewership for 2013 could finish among the top third in Major League Baseball."

So if that source is to be believed, then they are not currently in the top third - meaning they are somewhere between 11 and 30. The Rays have the 19th largest market in MLB (and are ranked 23rd by team in terms of market size), so without knowing specifically where they fall in that range, it is fair to say that their TV ratings are right where they should be - hardly evidence that there's any more interest than average (at least based on rankings), and hardly evidence that the stadium (physically or geographically) is to blame for their poor attendance. It doesn't sound like they're interested in creating an RSN, nor is it likely that the existing RSN (Fox) is going to offer them anywhere close to "game changing" money. It's always possible that by the time their deal is up, they will be in a better position and maybe have multiple suitors, but that's just not the case now, and at least at this point in time, it doesn't seem to this outside observer like this team really has a long term future in the Tampa market.

Then again... I question everything you post.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Les Expos de Montrèal had the best record,74-40,when the strikes broke out in 94.

Nos Amores (another name for the Expos) won there first game at Shea against the Mets.

The Expos played 22 games in Puerto Rico in 2003 and 2004.

The Expos got there name from the Expo 67 Worlds Fair in Montrèal.

The team was known,in the MLB,in their first season,as Les Mirsables. (I did my best spelling)

"So look at yourself. Are you somebody to see good in your world or somebody to oppose the other person or party?"

Les Expos de Montrèal had the best record,74-40,when the strikes broke out in 94.

Nos Amores (another name for the Expos) won there first game at Shea against the Mets.

The team was known,in the MLB,in their first season,as Les Mirsables. (I did my best spelling)

Les Miserables. Just think of everyone who watched Russell Crowe sing as miserable(s).

It would be fitting if the Astros moved to Montreal and the Rays moved to Houston as the new Astros, but that won't happen.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

the_more_you_know_by_stathisnhx-d33639v.

Les Miserables. Just think of everyone who watched Russell Crowe sing as miserable(s).

It would be fitting if the Astros moved to Montreal and the Rays moved to Houston as the new Astros, but that won't happen.

Huh?

sig.png

Regardless MLB returning to the city's going to be a tough sell when the demographic that supported the first team is a shell of its former self.

There is still a tougher sell if a team came back...Free Agents.

Best case scenario for Montreal is that they would be as competitive as Oakland. Worst case scenario, they are like Pittsburgh and Kansas City for the last 20 seasons. The franchise would have to place emphasis on Latin American academies more than ever and a farm system which consistently developed talent which they could keep.

Funny you should mention Oakland, because they're having stadium issues as well, not just Tampa Bay.

Oakland? Nice idea,though. I have ideas on where those White Elephants should move to.

Portland:Portland A's. Sounds good.

Columbus:Has MLS team,NHL team,it is a big city. Been there.

Buffalo:No words.

Sacramento:A's AAA team is there.Slow Clap.

Indianapolis:Writing letter to Lew Wolff about a possible "relocation".

San Jose:Bad idea.

Ann Arbor:Weird idea that just popped into my head.

St. Louis: St. Louis HAD two teams at one time:St. Louis Cardnials and the Browns (Now the Baltimore Orioles)

"So look at yourself. Are you somebody to see good in your world or somebody to oppose the other person or party?"

Gods I wish the "bathroom" board was still around.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Perhaps he's been stung, as I have, by people taking it personally if he uses any singular deity. Best to be inclusive. :P

Oakland? Nice idea,though. I have ideas on where those White Elephants should move to.

Portland:Portland A's. Sounds good.

Columbus:Has MLS team,NHL team,it is a big city. Been there.

Buffalo:No words.

Sacramento:A's AAA team is there.Slow Clap.

Indianapolis:Writing letter to Lew Wolff about a possible "relocation".

San Jose:Bad idea.

Ann Arbor:Weird idea that just popped into my head.

St. Louis: St. Louis HAD two teams at one time:St. Louis Cardnials and the Browns (Now the Baltimore Orioles)

Of all that, Portland is the only one I can take seriously.

I've been noticing a polytheistic bent to your exasperation as of late. Are you dating a Wiccan?

Perhaps he's been stung, as I have, by people taking it personally if he uses any singular deity. Best to be inclusive. :P

Nah, just binge-watched the reimagined Battlestar Galactica and Caprica while recovering from surgery. "Frak" has become a part of my regular vocabulary as well.

When the Jays draw those numbers on their way to the American League pennant, when Jays players have to call out their own fans for a lack of support, then we'll talk. :P

I've been noticing a polytheistic bent to your exasperation as of late. Are you dating a Wiccan?

Nah, just binge-watched the reimagined Battlestar Galactica and Caprica while recovering from surgery. "Frak" has become a part of my regular vocabulary as well.

Yikes. Get well soon.

You watched them in order? Shame. Caprica was such a terrible follow-up, so obviously cobbled together from two different series concepts. Their "coming in season 2" trailer is everything the series should have been from the start.

I haven't seen "Blood and Chrome" - have you? Any good?

When the Jays draw those numbers on their way to the American League pennant, when Jays players have to call out their own fans for a lack of support, then we'll talk. :P

Yikes. Get well soon.

You watched them in order? Shame. Caprica was such a terrible follow-up, so obviously cobbled together from two different series concepts. Their "coming in season 2" trailer is everything the series should have been from the start.

Oh I'm fine now - this was all through February. I watched 8 of 10 blood and chromes. Not my thing. Each episode is really I short, so you don't get the types of side stories as in BSG. I had to force myself just to watch 8. The CGI is good.

I liked caprica more than most. It answers some previously unanswered questions, and the lead actress is gorgeous, which helps. Like you said, it is a totally different type of show and not really a prequel - it just happens to be set in the same universe earlier in the timeline. Other than the lead and William Adama, (and maybe the teacher), the rest of the casting was awful.

I would have loved to see a second season, as they were just getting to the point where it would have been a little more accessible to average BSG fans.

BSG is one of my favorites. It has a lot of what I loved about ST TNG, but with a fluid start-to-end story, and more adult themes. I don't think youi need to be a scifi junkie to get in to it at all.

Yikes. Get well soon.

Oh I'm fine now - this was all through February. I watched 8 of 10 blood and chromes. Not my thing. Each episode is really I short, so you don't get the types of side stories as in BSG. I had to force myself just to watch 8. The CGI is good.

I liked caprica more than most. It answers some previously unanswered questions, and the lead actress is gorgeous, which helps. Like you said, it is a totally different type of show and not really a prequel - it just happens to be set in the same universe earlier in the timeline. Other than the lead and William Adama, (and maybe the teacher), the rest of the casting was awful.

I would have loved to see a second season, as they were just getting to the point where it would have been a little more accessible to average BSG fans.

BSG is one of my favorites. It has a lot of what I loved about ST TNG, but with a fluid start-to-end story, and more adult themes. I don't think youi need to be a scifi junkie to get in to it at all.

I don't know how much you know about Trek, but one of the big creative minds behind BSG also did DS9. The last four seasons of DS9 are really focused on the Dominion War, and tell a continuous story like what BSG seems to be. Your post reminded me that I've been meaning to watch BSG for a long time; I finally watched the first part of the miniseries, and it was great. What I've seen so far of BSG feels very much like the Dominion War on DS9. If you liked BSG, I'd bet you could pick a couple early season episodes of DS9 to get acquainted, then watch seasons 4-7 and have a great time.

Archived