Baseball in Montréal

BigBubba

I don't think they always had the Maritimes in the first place. Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are cultural extensions of New England in a lot of respects.

I dunno. My feelings on this are obviously complicated. Quebec has a place in my heart, but an Expos revival doesn't have a place in my head. A Nordiques redux would mean more to me and would be more likely to happen and to thrive, though even that seems endangered by Count's recurring wet dream about Vegas. Ce sera jamais le bon fois.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh, MLB baseball in Montreal....brings me back to my childhood watching the Expos on an old antique television. I remember back in the day, I couldn't believe the Expos were still around for that long. They spent countless amounts of time in Puerto Rico because no one ever showed up at the Big O. In their final years, anything Expos related was so alienated to everybody. Someone could come up to you and say "Hey, I've got 4 tickets to see the Expos! Anybody want tickets?", and people would be like...lolwut, the Expos are still around hehe?

The Expos did seem like a deserted team left to dry alone in the desert towards the end, but people's true feelings eventually came out. Many broke down in tears during the final inning, including the PBP guy, and many people brought signs that said "We will miss U", or "F--- Loria", etc. Their demise also happened the year the Red Sox ended the near-century long drought, making all of this even more hard to forget.

Recently, they've just been bringing it back up in the paper and every other media, here in Montreal. What else is new, lol. But if they do ever return, the first year will definitely be a special one for all Montrealers, as we will finally get to live the triumphant return of Nos Z'Amours. Just like the Winnipeggers rallied in massive numbers on Portage and Main celebrating the return of their Jets, I could see something similar happen on St-Catherine Street down here, if we ever do get our day. The problem is will it last?

They don't have to win a World Series upon arrival, but would multiple years of unsuccess and bad luck wear down people's interest, like it did before? Would the interest in baseball live past the first year of nostalgia? Montreal is a hockey city first, and a baseball city second, no doubt. There are some hardcore baseball fans down here too, though. But when you put all these factors together, you see clearly just how big of a risk it is. Atlanta has lost 2 NHL franchises in a span of 30 years +/-. It's understandable that no one wants to make the same mistake(s) they did.

/rant.

Atlanta has lost 2 NHL franchises in a span of 30 years +/-. It's understandable that no one wants to make the same mistake(s) they did.

/rant.

I BETT I can think of one MAN who'd be willing to make the same mistakes that Atlanta did, but that's a whole other rant.

• 3 months later...

I disagree. Carter was only a Met for five years, and the last couple weren't very good.

Yeah, if he had played at an All-Star and Silver Slugger level for all five years in New York as opposed to just the first two, given the fact that he won a World Series, I could see them retiring his number. But two great years, a good one, an okay one, and then a brief crappy one isn't worthy of the highest honour a team can bestow upon a player.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Has anyone read Jonah Keri's (Grantland) new book about the Expos, "Up, Up, and Away"?

http://amzn.to/1hJV2gp

No, but I want to so badly. I don't know if I can justify $25 on a book right now, but I can't read Kindle books. I have one, my brain just doesn't process e-books. I can only read books on paper.

I bought it, but I have some other books I still haven't gotten to and I'm waiting until I'm in more of a baseball mood to read it. Same goes for Jim Bouton's Ball Four* which is sitting on my dresser waiting to get cracked. I'm long overdue to read that one.

*I bought a used paperback copy of Ball Four off of Amazon for a dollar and inside the cover is Jim Bouton's autograph addressed to some guy named Frank. So that's sorta cool.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Jonah Keri is an excellent writer and one of the best Expos historians out there, so I'd love to get my hands on a copy.

Then I remember that it's been over four years since I read any book that had more than 100 pages in it. My attention span is shot beyond repair. No matter the subject, I'll read two paragraphs and then get distracted. I have no clue what happened but that's my biggest deterrent to buying books these days. I've got a pretty nice library of unread books and the ones that have been read were read several upon several years ago (Summer of '49 namely, which I'm pretty certain I was spurred to read after Halberstam died).

spacer.png

it's been over four years since I read any book that had more than 100 pages in it.

You've written posts here that have more than 100 pages.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

So anyway, 80% on topic, baseball terminology en français is always fun. I think my favorite is that a knuckleball, which flutters through the air, becomes une balle papillon: a butterfly ball. A no-hitter is un match sans point ni coup sûr, which translates to "a game without a run nor a base hit," but the last part would literally be "safe stroke," which is to say a hit that allows one to safely reach base.

Jonah Keri is an excellent writer and one of the best Expos historians out there, so I'd love to get my hands on a copy.

Then I remember that it's been over four years since I read any book that had more than 100 pages in it. My attention span is shot beyond repair. No matter the subject, I'll read two paragraphs and then get distracted. I have no clue what happened but that's my biggest deterrent to buying books these days. I've got a pretty nice library of unread books and the ones that have been read were read several upon several years ago (Summer of '49 namely, which I'm pretty certain I was spurred to read after Halberstam died).

Take a book with you when you're doing some 'offloading' at home....you can easily knock out a few pages to a chapter per visit.

So anyway, 80% on topic, baseball terminology en français is always fun. I think my favorite is that a knuckleball, which flutters through the air, becomes une balle papillon: a butterfly ball. A no-hitter is un match sans point ni coup sûr, which translates to "a game without a run nor a base hit," but the last part would literally be "safe stroke," which is to say a hit that allows one to safely reach base.

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/05154/515468.stm

A neat article about Baseball in the French language.

Side note: I'm very happy that the Blue Jays will be regularly featured on a french-language network this season. Roger Brulotte and Jaques Doucet are calling a bunch of games on TVA Sports.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived