Baseball in Montréal

BigBubba

That's presuming his cable system carries FSN Wisconsin, CSN Chicago, FSN Midwest, FSN North, aaaaand FSN Kansas City.

Right. Therefore, if he buys MLB Extra Innings, he can have anywhere from 0-9 games to watch a day.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evil G, you have 6 teams to choose from that have a piece of Iowa, and you can watch every one on a sports pack with no blackouts. Very unusual.

I just never got into baseball as a whole, so an Iowa team could get me into it.

That's presuming his cable system carries FSN Wisconsin, CSN Chicago, FSN Midwest, FSN North, aaaaand FSN Kansas City.

It does, but I never watch those channels.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

• 1 month later...

http://ballparkdigest.com/201312196902/major-league-baseball/features/could-mlb-really-return-to-montreal

Many baseball insiders assume MLB will return to Montreal, but some -- like agent Scott Boras -- are pushing for an earlier return if the Tampa Bay Rays cannot solve their ballpark issues.

“The hope in baseball is you’d have a consistent product annually, you have a group of people in ownership that are putting winning baseball on the field, and you’d certainly have to say Tampa Bay has done that,” Boras said.

“My point was that baseball, collectively, to protect the game, to protect the market, and you have a product that is so successful and the market is not responding to it, what is the reason? The reason is not the performance of the franchise or the players. The reason has to be there’s a dynamic operating here that is not consistent with what other markets do in baseball.

Now, Boras isn't the first person to suggest the Rays should look north of the border for a new home, but he's the one with the most knowledge of baseball's finances to say MLB would be viable in Montreal.

baltimoreravens.png

I've been a baseball-is-dead-in-la-belle-province stalwart, but. But. That was before TSN lost its biggest broadcasting property a few weeks ago. It won't help in winter, but there might be some real value in carrying a full season of the Expos coast-to-coast-to-coast.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Plus, with the descent of the Blue Jays into mediocrity and incompetence, the Rays/Expos 2.0 could immediately become Canada's Team. Imagine what Friedman could do in a bigger market with more resources, and then compare that to the mess that Anthopoulos and Beeston are making in Toronto.

A team representing French Canadians will never become "Canada's team." That's not ethnocentrism on my part, that's just an honest observation of how things work here.

Still, don't let first hand accounts of how social dynamics work in Canada regarding English and French Canadians stop you from talking about a situation you know nothing about Lights Out.

It's true. Look at the last few years of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, and Vancouver all got a whirl as "Canada's Chance To Bring The Cup Home," notwithstanding the fact that no team would have run a nationwide parade route and toughly two-thirds of every winner's roster literally brings the Cup home to Canada, as in to their houses where they grew up, every summer anyway. But wasn't there a team in 2010 that gave Canada a chance to bring the Cup home? No, there was not. The President's Trophy-winning Capitals were eliminated in the first round by a tragic boating mishap.

EVEN IF the large, historic, Anglo-Franc cultural divide didn't exist, Mont-Ray-al (I'm so funny) would have a loooong way to go before they became "Canada's Team". As I've said before, the Blue Jays have made a very strong - and successful - push to spread their fanbase nationwide. Sure, it wouldn't be like putting a second NHL team in Leafs territory, but the Blue Jays have a firm hold on the Canadian market.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

EVEN IF the large, historic, Anglo-Franc cultural divide didn't exist, Mont-Ray-al (I'm so funny) would have a loooong way to go before they became "Canada's Team". As I've said before, the Blue Jays have made a very strong - and successful - push to spread their fanbase nationwide. Sure, it wouldn't be like putting a second NHL team in Leafs territory, but the Blue Jays have a firm hold on the Canadian market.

Couldn't it be possible to try and promote themselves as East Canada's team? I mean it wouldn't be too hard to try and promote themselves to Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.

Couldn't it be possible to try and promote themselves as East Canada's team? I mean it wouldn't be too hard to try and promote themselves to Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.

Actually, if you wanna throw in Newfoundland, they can brand themselves as "Canada-but-not-really-Canada's team" :D

In all seriousness, that would certainly be more feasible, especially given the greater French presence in the Atlantic provinces. The Habs have had (and to an extent, still do) a strong presence in Canada east of Québec. New Brunswick would certainly be an important target, given their status as the only bilingual province. Although it is important to keep in mind that once again, the Blue Jays have a head start in that region.

It's true. Look at the last few years of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, and Vancouver all got a whirl as "Canada's Chance To Bring The Cup Home," notwithstanding the fact that no team would have run a nationwide parade route and toughly two-thirds of every winner's roster literally brings the Cup home to Canada, as in to their houses where they grew up, every summer anyway. But wasn't there a team in 2010 that gave Canada a chance to bring the Cup home? No, there was not. The President's Trophy-winning Capitals were eliminated in the first round by a tragic boating mishap.

I think it's all cute of teams full of Canadian players winning the cup, but bottom-line, all fans care about at the end of the day is if their Canadian team is winning, which hasn't happened since 1993 because of a certain player invoking a mystic spirit upon a whole nation:

i-440c4deb8cf80515041a5719d4b77fb5-Marty

I've been made to understand that the Maritimes are pretty solid Red Sox territory.

Regardless, the Jays have a sizeable slice of the market, which represents an established lead over any potential Montréal team. In any event, someone has control over the land, which represents an impediment to the Expos 2.0 taking over.

I think it's all cute of teams full of Canadian players winning the cup, but bottom-line, all fans care about at the end of the day is if their Canadian team is winning, which hasn't happened since 1993 because of a certain player invoking a mystic spirit upon a whole nation:

i-440c4deb8cf80515041a5719d4b77fb5-Marty

*coughKerryFrasercough*

Also, it's funny that les Québécois get saddled with the elitist label when old English families have always been at the very top of Canada's ruling class (even in Quebec with the Molsons), carrying a culture so stodgy that Canadians still celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday long after actual Britons stopped caring. With the laws against religious signification in government and laws against married women being made to change their names, Quebec is egalitarian in ways the ROC is afraid to be.

I've been made to understand that the Maritimes are pretty solid Red Sox territory.

Regardless, the Jays have a sizeable slice of the market, which represents an established lead over any potential Montréal team. In any event, someone has control over the land, which represents an impediment to the Expos 2.0 taking over.

The Nationals were able to retake North Virginia from the Orioles. Why can't Montreal take back Quebec and Maritime?

Archived