Baseball in Montréal

BigBubba

Not trying to defend Tampa because they've had chances but Historically one of the worst attended games of the season is the second home game after opening day. That's true for most teams.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trying to defend Tampa because they've had chances but Historically one of the worst attended games of the season is the second home game after opening day. That's true for most teams.

You're right, and the Rays reportedly get decent tv numbers.

Nice try at humor, but they have one of the best TV ratings in the MLB. Just goes to show you stadium location does play a major fault with the Rays, not the lack of interest.

Not necessarily. Even if fans care enough to watch winning baseball on free TV, it doesn't mean that they care enough to pay decent money to attend games in a hypothetical good stadium in a good location. As I said before, if I were the owner, I would not gamble that the Trop was the only thing holding fans back. They'd get a huge attendance bump the first year, and attendance would indefinitely be higher in a nice park centrally located. However, if they get a new park built and a playoff team is drawing 25,000 a game five years later, they've :censored:ed their investment permanently and locked themselves into that region well past the run of their ownership regime. I would not bet tens of millions of dollars on the hopes that Tampa Bay will start coming out in ideal conditions.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

And as someone who has worked in television, I can also tell you that I'm very skeptical of television ratings numbers.

But even if they're true, they could very well be inflated by the large numbers of Yankees and Red Sox fans in the area. Can you demonstrate that the ratings are so high when the Rays play the Mariners or Astros?

Nice try at humor, but they have one of the best TV ratings in the MLB. Just goes to show you stadium location does play a major fault with the Rays, not the lack of interest.

Can you prove your point about tv ratings?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Can you prove your point about tv ratings?

Our opening day got a a 5.7 household rating, which is impressive for a small market team. Of course, teams like Detroit got a much higher household rating, the population of St. Petersburg compared to Detroit is huge. I did a High School internship with the Rays and that was one of the major points that was stressed during the internship. How do we push the great TV ratings we get into fans in the actual seats. I was in the Journalism/Advertising department. I'd say that's pretty legitimate, but then again, you question everything I post.

Because most of what you post is questionable.

Where does tampa actually rank in tv ratings? Top 3? Top 5? If you want to say that the tv ratings compensate for the lack of attendance and validate the market, then it should be easy to show that is the case.

Market size is relevant only to a point. A team in Idaho could have a rating that is good "for a team in Idaho", but that doesn't mean that they should have a major league team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You are the one who suggested that the Rays' television ratings meant that Tampa Bay is secretly not a failed market. If you really want to make that assertion, you need to be able to back it up with very specific facts.

Where exactly are the Rays' ratings? How does that compare with other markets? And how does it look once you've adjusted for the disproportionate number of games against the Yankees and Red Sox, two teams which are traditionally amongst the most-watched in the sport?

Also, it's just not true that "the population of St. Petersburg compared to Detroit is huge." Detroit is the 14th biggest Metropolitan Statistical Area, Tampa-St. Petersburg is 18th. Detroit is the 11th biggest TV market; Tampa-St. Petersburg is the 13th.

Then why go to all the trouble to question my information? I am not making then up. I can promise you that. Unfortunately, I can't find any listing of MLB TV ratings online. Which is surprising, you would think that would be a statistic open to the internet public.

Calm down buddy.

He is. He's not being unreasonable.

You're in high school, yes? Well I teach high school. If someone hands in a paper that makes a claim then I expect it to be sourced. For the student making the claim to tell me where they found this information that collaborates their claim. Same thing here. You made a claim. You need to back it up. What's your source for the Rays having strong local tv ratings? Provide that and you'll find people willing to take your arguments seriously.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/fans-are-watching-tampa-bay-rays-on-tv-8212-a-popularity-that-could-pay/2135859

http://tbo.com/sports/rays/sternberg-likes-direction-of-tampa-bay-rays-20140331/

After drawing more than 1.8 million fans in each season from 2008-10, the Rays have averaged approximately 1.5 million in the past three years. The club’s average attendance of 18,646 per game last season was markedly below baseball’s overall average (30,514), but Sternberg is buoyed by local TV ratings that rank in the upper third of the 30 teams.

“I focus on the people who are here, not the ones who are not here, and we focus on the people who are engaged on television, on the radio, on the Internet, reading the papers, reading the blogs,’’ said Sternberg. “The TV side of it, the ratings are nothing to scoff at and it’s something that has continued to give us the belief that major-league baseball can thrive in the region.’’

"Upper third"... I woulda just said "Top 10" but hey, that's just me.

90758391980.gif

Archived