2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

The Angels did it before the current set.

retro-jerseys.jpg

Even the perriwinkle Disney ones were like that.

All the other players are wearing the wrong color undershirt. The Angels always wore navy undershirts until they switched to the current set. They're all wearing red undershirts.
As the great Peter Griffin best put it, *clears throat* Oh my God, who the hell cares...

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only the people who quote week-old posts. :)

You must have wandered into the wrong neighborhood by mistake. You'll have an uphill battle trying to convince people not to care about uniform details... here.

haha I know I'm just joking around. I saw it when I was going through the pages and took my opportunity

Phantom Dreamer has made his way to uni watch.

Paul Lukas having the time of his life moderating comment sections! All sports logo sites should do that!

EDIT: crap, did someone delete the meme source? I can't find it anywhere!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There was a point made about the Rays fauxbacks and I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it.

The gist of it was that if the Rays existed in in 1979, they would be called the Devil Rays back then. They wouldn't be called Rays in 1979, change their name to the Devil Rays in the 90's and then change back into the Rays in 2008 because that doesn't make sense really.

IbjBaeE.png

There was a point made about the Rays fauxbacks and I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it.

The gist of it was that if the Rays existed in in 1979, they would be called the Devil Rays back then. They wouldn't be called Rays in 1979, change their name to the Devil Rays in the 90's and then change back into the Rays in 2008 because that doesn't make sense really.

Supersonics, sonics, supersonics?

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Supersonics, sonics, supersonics?

They never changed their name to Sonics. It was on the jerseys and all, but officially they were always the Supersonics.

A page ago, perhaps? :)

Well, now that gives the Rays two sets of light blue pants...but maybe I'm wrong since the first set is from 1979 and this is from the 80's. The white cap can only be to match the white home uni (as teams really didn't have that many caps in the 80's ex Blue Jays). The light blue on white in the front panel looks faded though. I was watching the Cubs broadcast on WGN and they said the Rays owner stuck with the Padres (we know and they also acknowledge it) but they didn't know why. They also acknowledged that it's not right since they were the "Rays" in the 70's, the "Rays" in the 80's, the Devil Rays in the 90's and now the Rays again.

If the Rays want to mess around, that's cool, but this shouldn't be their identity or take the place of their current alternate uniforms.

This whole alternate reality reminds me of a DC comic when they refresh the past.

I saw a hypothetical explanation, I wanna say it was a comment at UniWatch, but maybe here, that set up the uniforms. It went that the team started as the Rays, using the same reasoning as now, the rays of sunshine in the Tampa Bay area. In the mid 90s, they revamped their image to be trendy and "extreme" by changing to the Devil Rays, using a very 90s color scheme of purple and a green/yellow/blue gradient. After a while with those, they subdued the colors to black and green, but eventually wanted to go back to their roots with blue and gold, reverting back to the original team name in 2008.

It's a viable explanation to me. How many teams debuted crazier or tougher unis and logos in the '90s?

The Hawaii Rainbows / Rainbow Warriors / Warriors come to mind as the only one that changed their name, but only Jays on the uniforms could be considered the same type of branding choice. D-backs and Sonics are length choices, I suppose.

But plenty of others went radical with colors, uniforms or graphics. Pistons, Sonics, Rockets, Astros, Sabres, Blue Jays, Royals, Mets, Reds. (Some more radical than others.) And most returned to tradition or something close.

It's plausible a Tampa Bay Rays franchise born in the '70s or earlier might have looked to spice things up in the '90s with new colors and "tougher" Devil Rays brand, only to revert back later.

It's all make-believe either way.

A page ago, perhaps? :)

Well, now that gives the Rays two sets of light blue pants...but maybe I'm wrong since the first set is from 1979 and this is from the 80's. The white cap can only be to match the white home uni (as teams really didn't have that many caps in the 80's ex Blue Jays). The light blue on white in the front panel looks faded though. I was watching the Cubs broadcast on WGN and they said the Rays owner stuck with the Padres (we know and they also acknowledge it) but they didn't know why. They also acknowledged that it's not right since they were the "Rays" in the 70's, the "Rays" in the 80's, the Devil Rays in the 90's and now the Rays again.

If the Rays want to mess around, that's cool, but this shouldn't be their identity or take the place of their current alternate uniforms.

This whole alternate reality reminds me of a DC comic when they refresh the past.

I saw a hypothetical explanation, I wanna say it was a comment at UniWatch, but maybe here, that set up the uniforms. It went that the team started as the Rays, using the same reasoning as now, the rays of sunshine in the Tampa Bay area. In the mid 90s, they revamped their image to be trendy and "extreme" by changing to the Devil Rays, using a very 90s color scheme of purple and a green/yellow/blue gradient. After a while with those, they subdued the colors to black and green, but eventually wanted to go back to their roots with blue and gold, reverting back to the original team name in 2008.
It's a viable explanation to me. How many teams debuted crazier or tougher unis and logos in the '90s?

The Hawaii Rainbows / Rainbow Warriors / Warriors come to mind as the only one that changed their name, but only Jays on the uniforms could be considered the same type of branding choice. D-backs and Sonics are length choices, I suppose.

But plenty of others went radical with colors, uniforms or graphics. Pistons, Sonics, Rockets, Astros, Sabres, Blue Jays, Royals, Mets, Reds. (Some more radical than others.) And most returned to tradition or something close.

It's plausible a Tampa Bay Rays franchise born in the '70s or earlier might have looked to spice things up in the '90s with new colors and "tougher" Devil Rays brand, only to revert back later.

It's all make-believe either way.

p-536767-bob-scanlan-autographed-hand-si

Brewers

I got a Price Rays 70's fauxback in 2012 and it was that polyester type material. Last year I bought a McCutchen throwback and it was cool base. I bought a Longo fauxback this year and it was cool base. My new 80's fauxback Longo came today and it was polyester. Is there a method to whether or not a jersey is cool base (meshy) or coming as the traditional polyester feel?

KISSwall09.jpg

I got a Price Rays 70's fauxback in 2012 and it was that polyester type material. Last year I bought a McCutchen throwback and it was cool base. I bought a Longo fauxback this year and it was cool base. My new 80's fauxback Longo came today and it was polyester. Is there a method to whether or not a jersey is cool base (meshy) or coming as the traditional polyester feel?

They list if they are cool base or polyester on the site. You didn't know if what you were buying were polyester or cool base?

Go A's!

Only the people who quote week-old posts. :)

You must have wandered into the wrong neighborhood by mistake. You'll have an uphill battle trying to convince people not to care about uniform details... here.

haha I know I'm just joking around. I saw it when I was going through the pages and took my opportunity

Swing and a miss.

@phutmasterflex I was just wondering if there was a method to cool base or polyester...especially for a team that has all cool base (and in the Rays case) switched the original fauxback to cool base. Me personally? I don't read what the material is. I just buy the jersey I want because it's not like I can tell them to send one style or another.

KISSwall09.jpg

@phutmasterflex I was just wondering if there was a method to cool base or polyester...especially for a team that has all cool base (and in the Rays case) switched the original fauxback to cool base. Me personally? I don't read what the material is. I just buy the jersey I want because it's not like I can tell them to send one style or another.

Because when I buy A's jerseys, some of them (gray, gold, black) have both cool base and polyester. That's my preference over cool base. But the newer one, like the green alts this year are only cool base. That's what I was wondering. I guess not all teams have that option.

I would assume that the throwbacks would be polyester. But I guess with what you just said, they don't, which is odd. I assume that newer designs going forward this season are going to be all cool base and anything that was designed before probably has both as an option.

Oh and tonight, Braves vs Athletics 1914 throwbacks

BvIotDfCYAI96cK.jpg

Go A's!

Archived