2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

I believe the Red Sox eliminated the striped socks in 1979, when they changed to this set:

The stirrups were not changed. The style of the day just meant most people were not showing that much sock.

In the team photo from 1986, manager John McNamara (and someone down the end of the first row) both show the blue.

teamphoto_1986.jpg

The striped stirrups were worn well into the 90s, and maybe even the early 00s. The solid red socks are a relatively recent innovation.

And count me in the column of those who prefer the Red Sox to maximize their red. Leave the navy to the Yankees. (Don't get me started on Boston's navy alt...)

My recollection is that Trot Nixon was the last player to wear the classic striped stirrups on a regular basis in 2001. He actually wore the stirrups over solid red sanitary socks. New owner John Henry banished the stripes in the spring of 2002. I really think the stirrups balanced out the uniforms and they are sorely missed. They would work much better with the solid red and navy alternate jerseys currently worn by Boston.

$_57.JPG

14835057491_613c60bfdc_k.jpg

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you based solely on aesthetics, but I can see why the new owner decided to toss away the vestiges of the old guard in favor of highlighting his "RED Sox"

The same ownership group eliminated red socks on the road uniform introduced in 2009.

kt4g72dw0rhbnx51g31007edh.gif

Negative fan reaction quickly brought back red.

8jvw8bebev8lc0cprzsy5xg0k.gif

So the Rays fauxback will be a road uniform at home, and a home uniform on the road. Okie-dokie.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Anybody else seen this yet? Heard rumors of an away version of the fauxback, first real evidence I've seen.

NQh0aV.jpg

I can confirm this is the hat that will be worn by the Rays in Chicago.
Cubs are wearing the 1980s blue roads, so it makes some sense that the Rays' fauxback will be white.

EDIT: This was entirely wrong. My apologies. White homes for '80s weekend.

As my replica 1994 Cubs jersey arrived yesterday, I'm getting more and more excited for their throwback uniform game against the Orioles on the 24th (hopefully the game will be on WGN so that may watch it). However, I am left with one question. Which '94 jersey will the Orioles wear?

These uniforms?: ikjdp6f4re1heff0ea9vdw2ml.gif

Or these uniforms?: 9xnlb45thwfzyb8e4uovgq64r.png

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

As my replica 1994 Cubs jersey arrived yesterday, I'm getting more and more excited for their throwback uniform game against the Orioles on the 24th (hopefully the game will be on WGN so that may watch it). However, I am left with one question. Which '94 jersey will the Orioles wear?

These uniforms?: ikjdp6f4re1heff0ea9vdw2ml.gif

Or these uniforms?: 9xnlb45thwfzyb8e4uovgq64r.png

Since the Cubs are wearing their blue "Cuba" uniforms, one would think they'll go with the grey for the Orioles.

I agree with you based solely on aesthetics, but I can see why the new owner decided to toss away the vestiges of the old guard in favor of highlighting his "RED Sox"

The same ownership group eliminated red socks on the road uniform introduced in 2009.

kt4g72dw0rhbnx51g31007edh.gif

Negative fan reaction quickly brought back red.

8jvw8bebev8lc0cprzsy5xg0k.gif

I recall seeing the Sox wear navy undershirts early in 2009, but I don't remember navy socks. Any pictures of these?

I recall seeing the Sox wear navy undershirts early in 2009, but I don't remember navy socks. Any pictures of these?

The only pic I could find is the one Bubba posted of Brad Penny.

Penny was the only guy going high-cuffed, so no one noticed the blue socks until he pitched the second or third road game (vs the Angels). Before the end of the April, the team was back in red.

This blog is light on information, but the date is 30 Apr and it confirms the switch back to red: http://bos-sports.blogspot.com/2009/04/boston-blue-sox.html

I remember attending an A's game vs the Red Sox early that season on Jackie Robinson Day and I loved the blue undershirts they all wore. I thought the socks were great too. I know they are the Red Sox, but the navy socks on the road looked so much better.

Go A's!

The Red Sox also experimented with red hats (and white hats) in 1997, but it ultimately didn't pan out.

1188443547_404f51141e.jpggordonwhitecap.jpg

I kind of like them as fashion caps, but I'm glad they didn't see much on-field use.

You know who did like the white alt caps, though: Whitey Bulger.

Weekend+At+Whiteys.jpg

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The Dodgers are wearing their regular 'Los Angeles' road uniforms for the first time in forever tonight in Anaheim. I'm pleasantly surprised to see them as I thought for sure they'd be wearing the 'Dodgers' ones since those have taken over as the de facto road jerseys and especially since it's not really an "away" game.

The Angels did it before the current set.

retro-jerseys.jpg

Even the perriwinkle Disney ones were like that.

All the other players are wearing the wrong color undershirt. The Angels always wore navy undershirts until they switched to the current set. They're all wearing red undershirts.

The Angels did it before the current set.

retro-jerseys.jpg

Even the perriwinkle Disney ones were like that.

All the other players are wearing the wrong color undershirt. The Angels always wore navy undershirts until they switched to the current set. They're all wearing red undershirts.

Back when the Reds had black undershirts, some of the players wore them with the red and white throwback uniforms and it looked like crap.

Archived