2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

The navy hats on the Cards are so out of place, everything is so red prominent and then there was this random all navy on top. People just got used to the navy hats, truth be told they blow and are inferior to the reds in every way.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indians and Royals will wear these throwbacks in their game on 8/30.

pic.twitter.com/HKS8irq3KE

As an Indians fan I think these unis look great.

That is my favorite Indians wordmark and cap logo. If they modernized it a bit, I'd love to see that look come back.

The navy hats on the Cards are so out of place, everything is so red prominent and then there was this random all navy on top. People just got used to the navy hats, truth be told they blow and are inferior to the reds in every way.

If the Cards road uni had a little more navy blue on it (either in script/numbers, or a heavier outline) the navy caps would be less out of place.

Has more navy than the Red Sox uniforms yet theirs looks fine. And both teams have a strong history of wearing the navy cap. When the Cardinals first went back to the birds on the bat in the late '50s is when they went to the plain look (though they did have piping on the pants) and the all-navy cap was their only one. Looked fine then as well. There are other ways to match up other than the color of the cap and lettering being the same. The red logo matches up with all the red lettering very well.

I actually think the navy cap might look better with the home set than the road.

I never really compared the road set to the Red Sox current road, but I guess that actually is a fair comparison. Maybe it's just because I grew up with a navy Red Sox cap, and they wore navy road letters when I was a kid (and then again briefly again up to this year), but the navy cap just doesn't look odd on them to me like it does on the Cardinals. There's really no reason why it should be different - it just is.

Again, maybe it's just because I was used to the Cardinals in red, then all of a sudden they broke out these navy caps and the sudden change drew extra attention to them and decades later I still haven't gotten used to it. Rational? Probably not. But regardless of the validity of the reason, I prefer red.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Red Sox also worked a decent balance of navy and red up until 2004 or so when they really started pushing red all the time. The undershirts, dugout apparel, and even half the socks were navy blue up through 2002 or so. The Cardinals have pushed the color red as an identifier more and longer than the Red Sox have: sea of red in the stands, red seats, and so forth, which made the vestigial navy road hat stand out as an oddity.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Red Sox also worked a decent balance of navy and red up until 2004 or so when they really started pushing red all the time. The undershirts, dugout apparel, and even half the socks were navy blue up through 2002 or so.

Are you sure about that? When the Sox introduced their new road uniforms with navy socks in 2011, the fanbase freaked out for the Yankee similarity.

And when's the last time the Red Sox wore red hats at home or on the road?

The Red Sox also worked a decent balance of navy and red up until 2004 or so when they really started pushing red all the time. The undershirts, dugout apparel, and even half the socks were navy blue up through 2002 or so.

Are you sure about that? When the Sox introduced their new road uniforms with navy socks in 2011, the fanbase freaked out for the Yankee similarity.

carl-Yastrzemski_z_display_image.jpg

Can't find a better picture at the moment but I think they were navy blue the rest of the way up and just red at the bottom. I don't think they had solid red socks until 2003.

No, it's still better.

I prefer the solid red socks for the Red Sox, by the way, but not the red undershirts, pullovers, and so forth. Those should still be navy blue. On the other hand, the Cardinals' striped socks are way cool.

I believe the Red Sox eliminated the striped socks in 1979, when they changed to this set:

al_1979_boston.gif

The Red Sox also experimented with red hats (and white hats) in 1997, but it ultimately didn't pan out.

1188443547_404f51141e.jpggordonwhitecap.jpg

I kind of like them as fashion caps, but I'm glad they didn't see much on-field use.

The Red Sox also experimented with red hats (and white hats) in 1997, but it ultimately didn't pan out.

1188443547_404f51141e.jpggordonwhitecap.jpg

I kind of like them as fashion caps, but I'm glad they didn't see much on-field use.

I don't know why the Red Sox felt that a white "B" would be a good look on that red hat. Going back to the 1975 hat would have been so much better. Of course, they trotted out that white hat as well so I guess there's my answer...

I believe the Red Sox eliminated the striped socks in 1979, when they changed to this set:

The stirrups were not changed. The style of the day just meant most people were not showing that much sock.

In the team photo from 1986, manager John McNamara (and someone down the end of the first row) both show the blue.

teamphoto_1986.jpg

Even though this is a concept of a bunch of things mashed together. Granted there'd never be 4 sets of each uniform but it is a good variation of uniforms that could be good alternates, especially one or two of the green ones.

RedSox_zps86281f06.png

Archived