2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

The Angels use Build Me Up Buttercup. Which doesn't make sense because it's about how the singer gets let down by the person he's singing about.

Which makes even less sense because the Angels original owner was known for being a singing cowboy and they don't use one of his songs.

I've been to several angels games over the years and they don't play songs during the game that get people excited.
I've been to five at Angel Stadium and I just remember how jarring Build Me Up is.

IbjBaeE.png

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teams seem to be randomly picking a day and designating it as such.

Seems like a minor-league tactic, but then again, MLB outfield walls didn't have ads when I was growing up either.

30246-description-polo-grounds-1923.jpg

Outfield ads were at the polo grounds. They're almost as old as the game itself.

Somebody beat me to it. my bad.

In fact, that's probably one of the biggest things wrong with the whole thing - once teams broke through that door and started doing camo and special caps and patches and stuff, it's reached the point where if a team doesn't do that, then they're obviously anti military commies who support the terrorists.

Absolutely. It's the same thing with the NFL going over-the-top on pink during October, except what the NFL does is about 1000x worse than MLB. "We care so much about this cause that we're going to destroy our uniforms for a quarter of the season," which of course shows that "if you aren't willing to destroy your uniforms to the same degree, you must love cancer." Like I said, what baseball teams are doing hasn't reached the degree the NFL does (yet), but it's still above what would be a respectable tribute. Both leagues can honor the troops or raise cancer awareness without bastardizing their teams' uniforms.

Yeah.

I don't now if it's "1000x" worse (though it's a quarter of the season vs. about 4/162 of the season-save the Padres, so I see your argument), but I really, really hope that there is "going back" on this.

I like tasteful tributes...I like that the Twins have veterans raise the flag during the National Anthem every game...The vet gets their name and accomplishments called out and gets a nice ovation (and game tickets, I assume). There are other tasteful things that can be done. But to make sure it's ever-present on the field is silly...yeah, I know, there are a lot of things more important than the game I am watching but I'd like to see the teams just say "let's trust the fans to deal with what's important on their own time. This is a diversion."

Similarly, there is probably a lot of good a juggernaut like the NFL can do for cancer. I don't care if they pink up their score bug for a month. Or maybe auction off game-worn stuff every October. I could even live with pink sideline caps (though for one week; not one month). But does the one league that best understands "brand" really need to clutter the on-field uniforms in pink? For a month? My dad died of cancer and my mom has had breast cancer...I want awareness and successful research. But it's not why I watch football.

First off you don't need to raise awareness for one of the most common causes of death (especially for women) in the US. Secondly these organizations would never dilute their brands and pretend to support a cause if there was not a net profit to their bottom lines. These activities are never charitable in nature as the "portion of the proceeds" is often dwarfed by the overall marketing spend and profit reapt on merch sales.

These are for profit, fake charitable marketing events and should be ridiculed as such. They've done more harm than good.

First off you don't need to raise awareness for one of the most common causes of death (especially for women) in the US.

I see this come up alot about awareness stuff but part of the reason this stuff is done so much is because the general public doesn't know things as much as you would think.

bSLCtu2.png

First off you don't need to raise awareness for one of the most common causes of death (especially for women) in the US.

I see this come up alot about awareness stuff but part of the reason this stuff is done so much is because the general public doesn't know things as much as you would think.

What does a pink piece of clothing or pink accessory tell the uninformed public?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I personally thought that this was a great road uniform, although I'm with everyone else in that the black sleeves & hats ruined it. Changing them to the light blue color could've worked.

Toronto+Blue+Jays+v+New+York+Yankees+JOB

I think that this was a great road uniform, because of the letter/number font. But it would had been better if there was a white home version and at least an alternate navy blue version as well.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

What does a pink piece of clothing or pink accessory tell the uninformed public?
Let's see...pink is breast cancer, puzzle piece is autism, light blue is colon cancer, navy blue is throat cancer...wait...I'm lost already...

In fact, that's probably one of the biggest things wrong with the whole thing - once teams broke through that door and started doing camo and special caps and patches and stuff, it's reached the point where if a team doesn't do that, then they're obviously anti military commies who support the terrorists.

Absolutely. It's the same thing with the NFL going over-the-top on pink during October, except what the NFL does is about 1000x worse than MLB. "We care so much about this cause that we're going to destroy our uniforms for a quarter of the season," which of course shows that "if you aren't willing to destroy your uniforms to the same degree, you must love cancer." Like I said, what baseball teams are doing hasn't reached the degree the NFL does (yet), but it's still above what would be a respectable tribute. Both leagues can honor the troops or raise cancer awareness without bastardizing their teams' uniforms.

Yeah.

I don't now if it's "1000x" worse (though it's a quarter of the season vs. about 4/162 of the season-save the Padres, so I see your argument), but I really, really hope that there is "going back" on this.

I like tasteful tributes...I like that the Twins have veterans raise the flag during the National Anthem every game...The vet gets their name and accomplishments called out and gets a nice ovation (and game tickets, I assume). There are other tasteful things that can be done. But to make sure it's ever-present on the field is silly...yeah, I know, there are a lot of things more important than the game I am watching but I'd like to see the teams just say "let's trust the fans to deal with what's important on their own time. This is a diversion."

Similarly, there is probably a lot of good a juggernaut like the NFL can do for cancer. I don't care if they pink up their score bug for a month. Or maybe auction off game-worn stuff every October. I could even live with pink sideline caps (though for one week; not one month). But does the one league that best understands "brand" really need to clutter the on-field uniforms in pink? For a month? My dad died of cancer and my mom has had breast cancer...I want awareness and successful research. But it's not why I watch football.

First off you don't need to raise awareness for one of the most common causes of death (especially for women) in the US. Secondly these organizations would never dilute their brands and pretend to support a cause if there was not a net profit to their bottom lines. These activities are never charitable in nature as the "portion of the proceeds" is often dwarfed by the overall marketing spend and profit reapt on merch sales.

These are for profit, fake charitable marketing events and should be ridiculed as such. They've done more harm than good.

I wonder if MLB is thinking about making a move to the pink uniform movement started by the NFL. The White Sox wore pink hats this season on Mother's Day.

Chicago-White-Sox-Pink-Cap-2014-b.jpg

The Cardinals are wearing these grey throwbacks today against the Cubs. Their powder blue uniforms would be historically accurate, but they can't wear them because the Cubs are wearing their powder blue pinstripe uniforms.

JGwtBbv.jpg

Archived