2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twins are wearing red jerseys (road BP) in a regular season game since the famous 1997 "Dairy Queen" jerseys.

Too bad they aren't wearing the "Dairy Queen" jerseys.

This uniform is a thing of beauty: cue3qc0uis4eyqu741e9v3hqe.gif

These jerseys..... meh. They're kinda boring to be honest: pMLB2-16625669dt.jpg

I thought the jerseys looked awesome. I think if they wore their red BP cap with it, it would've looked better.

Can they pull a Houston Astros and wear their (road) BP jersey every once in a while? Not every week, just every once in a while

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

Has more navy than the Red Sox uniforms yet theirs looks fine. And both teams have a strong history of wearing the navy cap. When the Cardinals first went back to the birds on the bat in the late '50s is when they went to the plain look (though they did have piping on the pants) and the all-navy cap was their only one. Looked fine then as well. There are other ways to match up other than the color of the cap and lettering being the same. The red logo matches up with all the red lettering very well.

No it does not, since they went to red undershirts the Red Sox hat has looked horrifically out of place with their set, but at least the Red Sox navy hat is great (unlike the Cards navy which is a severe downgrade for their red). Also just because they wore navy in the 50s that makes it justifiable now? Why not wear it home like they did then too? And the red lettering doesn't even match up well because it's inconsistent, the red logo on the navy hats is outlined in white while on the unis it's outlined in navy. Yknow what actually "matches up very well"? A red hat when you're lettering, undershirts and socks are all red as well! There's contrast, and then there's just having one part of the uniform feel completely out of place with the rest of the set.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

I believe the Red Sox eliminated the striped socks in 1979, when they changed to this set:

The stirrups were not changed. The style of the day just meant most people were not showing that much sock.

In the team photo from 1986, manager John McNamara (and someone down the end of the first row) both show the blue.

teamphoto_1986.jpg

The striped stirrups were worn well into the 90s, and maybe even the early 00s. The solid red socks are a relatively recent innovation.

And count me in the column of those who prefer the Red Sox to maximize their red. Leave the navy to the Yankees. (Don't get me started on Boston's navy alt...)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The Angels did it before the current set.

Even the perriwinkle Disney ones were like that.

The evolution of the Angels....

I love the current Angels look...

But I think the second uniform on the left us underrated. We kinda forget about it because it was plopped between a fairly long-term upper-case "halo-A" and a so-bad-it's-memorable Disney set. But this really is a classic baseball design. I liked it and it made me all that much more upset when they went to the perriwinkle clown suits.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Twins are wearing red jerseys (road BP) in a regular season game since the famous 1997 "Dairy Queen" jerseys.

Too bad they aren't wearing the "Dairy Queen" jerseys.

This uniform is a thing of beauty:

These jerseys..... meh. They're kinda boring to be honest:

I thought the jerseys looked awesome. I think if they wore their red BP cap with it, it would've looked better.

Can they pull a Houston Astros and wear their (road) BP jersey every once in a while? Not every week, just every once in a while

Funny you should mention the Astros & their BP's. For the second straight instance, the Astros wore their Saturday combo for a Sunday home game. Not sure if it is because the BP would have clashed with the opposition's jerseys (navy v royal), or if they finally got the good sense to stop dressing like a minor league team.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The Angels did it before the current set.retro-jerseys.jpg

But I think the second uniform on the left us underrated. We kinda forget about it because it was plopped between a fairly long-term upper-case "halo-A" and a so-bad-it's-memorable Disney set. But this really is a classic baseball design. I liked it and it made me all that much more upset when they went to the perriwinkle clown suits.

I think the look you're talking about will forever be known as the "Angels in the Outfield" look. Can't ask for a bigger chunk of history than that.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Oh, you meant the socks themselves were half navy. Gotcha.

Here's a better look.

0821_large.jpg

edit: it's not a "better look" once you swapped out your picture. ;)

I sort of think that the Sox should wear both. Red socks & undershirts look great in the daylight, how bout do one of those "daytime alternate" deals but leave it just to the socks and sleeves? Hell, add in the old red hat while you're at it.

I think the look you're talking about will forever be known as the "Angels in the Outfield" look. Can't ask for a bigger chunk of history than that.

I agree that in hindsight the short lived early 70's "a" set is a classic design. I'd love to see them go back to that look but I doubt that will ever happen.

Looks like the Astros have dropped the BP jerseys on Sunday. They've worn the home whites with the orange caps the last two weeks.

@astros: @ShawnPRamsey As of last Sunday, the team changed to home whites for Sunday games.

I agree that in hindsight the short lived early 70's "a" set is a classic design. I'd love to see them go back to that look but I doubt that will ever happen.

I think he meant the "CA" set from the early 90s, although the "second on the left" description would seem to describe the "a" set you refer to.

I think he meant the "CA" set from the early 90s, although the "second on the left" description would seem to describe the "a" set you refer to.

Oh well I took the statement literally to reinforce my own opinion of the "a" uni being an underrated classic . I think the CA set is entirely forgettable and it reminded me way too much of the red sox back then and it still does today.

FWIW - official versions of those "a" uniforms (slightly different than what's on the Mothership):

Primary Mark (1971-1973):

CaliforniaAngels_PMK0100a_1971-1973_SCC_

Secondary Mark (1970-1985):

CaliforniaAngels_SMK0100a_1970-1985_SCC_

Cap Mark (1971):

CaliforniaAngels_CAP0101a_1971_SCC_SRGB.

Home Uniform Script (1971-1972):

CaliforniaAngels_UNS0101a_1971-1972_SCC_

Road Uniform Script (1971):

CaliforniaAngels_UNS0201a_1971_SCC_SRGB.

Road Uniform Script (1972):

CaliforniaAngels_UNS0201a_1972_SCC_SRGB.

The Angels did it before the current set.

D'oh...I meant second on the right...and it does turn out to be "forgettable" in that nobody remembers it. It's certainly not groundbreaking (but then again, the perriwinkle set is groundbreaking) but I like it for the same reason I like the Germanic Brewers (also a forgotten look)...it was a pretty sturdy "classic baseball" look...particularly the jersey. The "CA" was not great (kinda like the "MB"...the "M" was better and had the Angels kept this look, an "A" would have eventually taken over)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Well, the problem with the TB fauxback set and that hat is that there is NO white whatsoever in it. Why have a white front panel? Heck, the D-Backs didn't "throwback" to anything real in Chicago, why would the Rays? Will they do something to sell merchandise (on a team desperate for an identity and history) probably.

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived