2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

2014 ALCS is going to be a thing of beauty when they're playing in Kansas City, provided the Royals wear their whites and the Orioles wear their grays and leave the batting practice jerseys in the clubhouse once the game starts. The Royals and the Orioles (roads) are my two of my favorite uniforms in all of MLB. The white paneled Orioles caps will detract from the match up when they're in Baltimore, though.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the issue of headspoon piping with a left-breast logo: the v-neck piping should provide the same sense of balance as the headspoon.

Perhaps it should, but it doesn't. Placket piping is a stronger design element. Neck piping can set off a strong wordmark, but isn't substantial enough when paired with the vast real estate left by a monogram.

2014 ALCS is going to be a thing of beauty when they're playing in Kansas City, provided the Royals wear their whites and the Orioles wear their grays and leave the batting practice jerseys in the clubhouse once the game starts. The Royals and the Orioles (roads) are my two of my favorite uniforms in all of MLB. The white paneled Orioles caps will detract from the match up when they're in Baltimore, though.

If the Orioles follow their regular season pattern, they won't wear white in this series.

Game 1 - Black

Game 2 - Orange

Game 3 - Grey

Game 4 - Grey

Game 5 - Grey

Game 6 - Black

Game 7 - Orange

If the Orioles follow their regular season pattern, they won't wear white in this series.

Game 1 - Black

Game 2 - Orange

Game 3 - Grey

Game 4 - Grey

Game 5 - Grey

Game 6 - Black

Game 7 - Orange

That's a bummer. Those Fridays!!!!

Go A's!

That's why it's silly to have multiple colored alternates and wear them all regularly. A team's home jersey is its primary look, and if the Orioles follow their pattern, they would go the whole series without using that look. That would be worse than the stupidity of the Phillies using the throwbacks for every day game and the Braves formerly using the awful fauxbacks for Fri-Sat and reds for Sundays, meaning the only time they would actually look like the Braves was Mon-Thurs.

I'm hopeful the Orioles will abandon their schedule, as other teams have done in the playoffs. They should be in the home jerseys for game one of the ALCS. And hopefully the Royals stick with their best looks instead of wearing the crappy alternates.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think it's a safe bet they won't be wearing BP jerseys in a playoff game.

Pretty sure he's referring to any jersey that's not white or gray as a BP jersey. Because that's how baseball was in the 60's.

Pretty sure he's referring to any jersey that's not white or gray as a BP jersey. Because that's how baseball was in the 60's.

We should have players wear multi-colored spandex onesies because it's 2014 and why not. Anyone disagreeing with me is a curmudgeon.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

We should have players wear multi-colored spandex onesies because it's 2014 and why not. Anyone disagreeing with me is a curmudgeon.

Thank you, and yes, I was referring to the gaudy "alternates", which r really kewl among da crowd thatz not old enuf 2 vote. (See how uninformed generalizations about people can work both ways?)

Thank you, and yes, I was referring to the gaudy "alternates", which r really kewl among da crowd thatz not old enuf 2 vote. (See how uninformed generalizations about people can work both ways?)

Yes I do, that was my point.

People are certainly entitled to their own opinions. I just find it silly that people consider any baseball jersey that's not white or gray to be gaudy and modern. It's literally the same as the home jersey...but a different color. A team color, mind you, not some neon yellow or something.

But hey, everyone has their own opinion, and that's cool.

This may not be an appropriate or valid comparison, but color, or the absence thereof, makes all the difference in the world. Both these men are wearing suits, just with different colors. One looks professional and the other...well...

Tommy-Hilfiger-Suits-for-Men_04.jpgarticle-2283500-183B2891000005DC-615_308

Granted, every team that wears alts does not wear them in bright orange, but mismatched jerseys and pants on any baseball uniform are no less unprofessional to me than the suit on the right. I know, poor example, but it's the best I could come up with at the moment. :)

I prefer when teams wear their regular white and grey jerseys in the playoffs. That's why I was excited to see the A's wear their grey tops in the wild card game even if it was with that ill-advised road hat.

I hope the Royals and Orioles do the right thing and wear white and grey in the ALCS.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Personally, I wish they went with the prototype cap:

4884328132_36faa1f082_o.jpg

This should have been their perfect set. And with an alternate "DC" cap.

The problem with that W is that the W in the "Washington" script looks very different.
So does the "B" in the Red Sox cap logo compared to their road wordmark, and nobody really complains about that.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

This may not be an appropriate or valid comparison, but color, or the absence thereof, makes all the difference in the world. Both these men are wearing suits, just with different colors. One looks professional and the other...well...

Tommy-Hilfiger-Suits-for-Men_04.jpgarticle-2283500-183B2891000005DC-615_308

Granted, every team that wears alts does not wear them in bright orange, but mismatched jerseys and pants on any baseball uniform are no less unprofessional to me than the suit on the right. I know, poor example, but it's the best I could come up with at the moment. :)

This is a very valid point, and I don't disagree. I will say there is a pretty big difference between suits and baseball uniforms, but I know you're aware of that and are just making a point.

I totally understand how people might consider a colored top over white or gray pants to be "unprofessional," because that was the norm when baseball became popular. But surely those same people can agree that just because a jersey is any color than white or gray, it isn't "gaudy" or "modern" or "rec league" or whatever other terms you may prefer. Yes, you prefer white over white, but that doesn't make red over white some horrible high school level abomination. It's just different than what you prefer or perhaps are used to.

I can agree with that. My use of the term "gaudy" was unwarranted. It was a knee-jerk reaction to what I perceived as an implication that I was stuck in the 60s. Before that, my use of "batting practice jerseys" was meant to be derogatory, as well. I'm not sure I'm ready to back off that one, though. :D

Personally, I wish they went with the prototype cap:

4884328132_36faa1f082_o.jpg

This should have been their perfect set. And with an alternate "DC" cap.

The problem with that W is that the W in the "Washington" script looks very different.
So does the "B" in the Red Sox cap logo compared to their road wordmark, and nobody really complains about that.

Not to be argumentative, but that's something that should really be changed. It's a simple tweak and wouldn't do anything to harm the brand. They could easily edit the jersey typeface to resemble the sharper cap B, or vice versa. Either would be fine and would go miles in improving the consistency.

Another AL East change that would greatly improve the existing look: the Blue Jays should use one shade of blue.

Archived