2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only 6 games? 6 games is a lot of games. That's basically a full week of wearing dumb gross pandering camo jerseys.

The marlins didn't wear their grays tops for 6 games last year and we're going to wear camo for that many. Ugh.

Still man, 6 games out of 162 isn't that much. The Padres wear their ugly camos twice as much.

Would you rather have a terrible camo jersey for 6 games, or a terrible alternate jersey that you wear for 50 games?

Only 6 games? 6 games is a lot of games. That's basically a full week of wearing dumb gross pandering camo jerseys.

The marlins didn't wear their grays tops for 6 games last year and we're going to wear camo for that many. Ugh.

Still man, 6 games out of 162 isn't that much. The Padres wear their ugly camos twice as much.

Well for me one game in camo is too many. 6 out of 162 doesn't sound like a lot, but that's a lot.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Well for me one game in camo is too many. 6 out of 162 doesn't sound like a lot, but that's a lot.

It's not a lot. Let's talk about overreaction. Yeah camo jerseys suck but for 6 out of 162 days, listen to the game on the radio if it hurts you that bad. the other 156(!) games will be just fine.

It's not a lot. Let's talk about overreaction. Yeah camo jerseys suck but for 6 out of 162 days, listen to the game on the radio if it hurts you that bad. the other 156(!) games will be just fine.

Or look at it like this:

The Reds' best look is their home white (and even that I'm less of a fan every year) and already they're only wearing that half of the time. Now they've started wearing their (inferior) red jersey for every home day game which amounts to about 24 games a year. So now they're only wearing their best look ~56 times. Add in a throwback or two, the also terrible Los Rojos jerseys (2 games last year), and now Camo which will take place of some red jersey games I'm sure, but I'm also sure it'll take some white jersey games, and you're looking at a team who's wearing their best look about 50 times out of 162.

This team will be dressed in their best look in 30% of their games. That's not a good ratio.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Would you rather have a terrible camo jersey for 6 games, or a terrible alternate jersey that you wear for 50 games?

That's a silly question, because they don't have to have either a camo jersey or terrible alt. It's not one or the other. It's one, the other, both, or neither.

6 games is too much. Say someone throws a perfect game in the camo jersey. What if someone hits 5 HR in it? Or if some other historical event occurs in it? Is that the uniform that should be immortalized in the famous photos? Is that what should be in the HOF?

That's one reason why even one game is too much for some of these absurd pandering uniforms. How ridiculous would a photo or video reenactment of Babe Ruth calling his shot look if he was in some camo uniform with ribbons and other garbage all over it? Or if Jackie Robinson's first game had been in some silly uniform with a pink hat to bring attention to breast cancer?

These types of things are a disgrace to the game, and disgrace the people who wear them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Or look at it like this:

The Reds' best look is their home white (and even that I'm less of a fan every year) and already they're only wearing that half of the time. Now they've started wearing their (inferior) red jersey for every home day game which amounts to about 24 games a year. So now they're only wearing their best look ~56 times. Add in a throwback or two, the also terrible Los Rojos jerseys (2 games last year), and now Camo which will take place of some red jersey games I'm sure, but I'm also sure it'll take some white jersey games, and you're looking at a team who's wearing their best look about 50 times out of 162.

This team will be dressed in their best look in 30% of their games. That's not a good ratio.

Well, actually it'd be about 50 out of 81, because half of those 162 they will be on the road. So 62% in the home whites, which is over half by a good bit. I'm not arguing that the Camo is good, because it's stupid as hell. I don't think "military" when I hear Cincinnati. but if they are only doing it 6 times, the way things are now a days i'd say you got off lucky.

Or look at it like this:

Well, actually it'd be about 50 out of 81, because half of those 162 they will be on the road. So 62% in the home whites, which is over half by a good bit. I'm not arguing that the Camo is good, because it's stupid as hell. I don't think "military" when I hear Cincinnati. but if they are only doing it 6 times, the way things are now a days i'd say you got off lucky.

Getting off lucky would be not wearing them at all like most major league baseball teams.

I accounted for road games because you said "it's only 6 out of 162". 6 out of 162 is a lot of games when you're already only wearing your best look in 30% of those 162 games. But fine, if you want to make it easier for my argument 6 out of 81 home games is a ton of games to wear a novelty jersey.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Or look at it like this:

Getting off lucky would be not wearing them at all like most major league baseball teams.

I accounted for road games because you said "it's only 6 out of 162". 6 out of 162 is a lot of games when you're already only wearing your best look in 30% of those 162 games. But fine, if you want to make it easier for my argument 6 out of 81 home games is a ton of games to wear a novelty jersey.

In the scheme of things it's really not a lot, but I get your point that they shouldn't wear them at all. Heck, I'm a Brewers fan, so when I see the Brewers wear their regular whites it's a giant shock, between how much they wear their home blues, golds, throwbacks, different nationality unis and I'm probably missing one in there, so maybe I'm just used to it.

That's a silly question, because they don't have to have either a camo jersey or terrible alt. It's not one or the other. It's one, the other, both, or neither.

6 games is too much. Say someone throws a perfect game in the camo jersey. What if someone hits 5 HR in it? Or if some other historical event occurs in it? Is that the uniform that should be immortalized in the famous photos? Is that what should be in the HOF?

That's one reason why even one game is too much for some of these absurd pandering uniforms. How ridiculous would a photo or video reenactment of Babe Ruth calling his shot look if he was in some camo uniform with ribbons and other garbage all over it? Or if Jackie Robinson's first game had been in some silly uniform with a pink hat to bring attention to breast cancer?

These types of things are a disgrace to the game, and disgrace the people who wear them.

I hate camo jerseys too, and I would also prefer to not wear it at all, but stupid stuff like this are a part of sports these days, and we can't do anything about it. My question was just pointing out that it could be worse.

One one hand, the argument of whether or not it is "a lot" is silly. We all have our own thresholds.

On the other hand, I am going to provide my take on whether it is "a lot".

And it is. Once a month, in theory. The memory of the Reds wearing a uniform that looks nothing like the Reds will always be fresh in the minds of their fans (at least those who follow the team closely).

I personally think any more than once is "a lot" (i.e., too much). A Memorial Day tribute is something I can live with (though I think there are more tasteful/understated ways to do it). Any more than that is just sending this weird message of "yeah it's a ball game, but do not forget, not even for one home run trot, what is really important." It's just not necessary. People need to reflect on what's important in their own way. Yeah, people laying lives on the line and delaying their lives at home for military service are the real heroes. Dressing ballplayers up to look like them does not really change that. It's alright, or at least ought to be, to just go to a ball game and see ballplayers dressed like ballplayers.

And the worst part is that there is no going back. As soon as someone suggest that Padres or the Reds pull back on this stuff, there will be just enough people taking offense (political correctness rearing its head, eh?) and screaming "anti-American" or "disrespectful to the troops". The Reds have started smoking and it's going to be very hard to quit, should they ever want to.

One day "white at home" and "gray on the road" will probably be replaced with "Stars and Stripes at home" and "camo on the road". OK, probably not, but we have the opportunity to be patriotic and supprot the troops, are we not anti-American if we don't take it?

So yeah, my take is that twice is a lot. Memorial Day? Maybe. July 22? No.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Part of the reason for my (apparently false) hope that the Reds will clean up their dropshadow is that for the past 1-2 years, a lot of their marketing has featured simply the red/white, even with the "old time" font currently used. Below is an example from their website (sorry I couldn't find a linkable smaller image). It looks crisp enough... sad they won't use it on their actually unis and hats.

cin_body_bg.jpg

Apparently the Reds will be having an "Irish Heritage Night" during the season. Wonder if they'll break out the St. Patrick's Day jerseys for that one too. Stay tuned for red, black, and yellow uni's for German Heritage Night next year? (Of course, the Westside Irish probably love this jersey - it also features a shamrock logo on the sleeve)

New-Reds-St-Patricks-Day-Jersey.jpg

It woulda been sweet if Pete Rose broke Ty Cobb's record in a green Reds jersey (it even sounds as stupid as it looks). Imagine those famous photos of Ted Kluzinsky with the sleeves of his Camo jersey cut short. Apparently the "soldier" needed to show his guns. Sports Illustrated could've had a field day with this. It's a complete disgrace. All of it. There's ways to pander without selling out your entire brand.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Apparently the Reds will be having an "Irish Heritage Night" during the season. Wonder if they'll break out the St. Patrick's Day jerseys for that one too. Stay tuned for red, black, and yellow uni's for German Heritage Night next year? (Of course, the Westside Irish probably love this jersey - it also features a shamrock logo on the sleeve)

New-Reds-St-Patricks-Day-Jersey.jpg

Thank you for the pics, was hoping the whole jersey would have been green like he NBA teams do it.

Any other teams getting St. Pattys jerseys?

Jaguars

I don't have a problem with the St. Patty's Day jerseys and hats, because it's in the exhibition season. I have a problem with these "promotional" jerseys/uniforms during the regular season. It cheapens the product and brand. It's no different than college football today, where everyone is wearing different uniforms every week and you have no clue who's playing if you don't check the ticker on the screen. There's no excuse or reason to wear a camo jersey whatsoever. If you want to celebrate our military and the service and sacrifice they have, then give them discounted tickets and recognize one of them at every game. Be respectful, but don't shill out crappy looking jerseys screaming out to people that you support the military, when in all reality you support more money from this stupid promotion. That's what teams should really call it, "A Stupid Promotions Making People Think We Support the Military When We Support Your Stupidity for Believing That and Giving Us Your Money."

Archived