2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind the alternate but my only problem is that some team wear it like 4x a week I would save the alternate for the weekend plus I'm also not a fan of both teams wearing alternate on the same game..

That's how I feel. I'd like alternates to be worn, at most, in 10% of a team's games. That's 16 in MLB, 8 in NBA/NHL and 1 in NFL.

White vs. Gray "is" baseball. A little bit of color on an infrequent basis is nice, but most games ought to be white vs. gray.

And there are some situations where an alt should never be worn; bascially home games for certain teams (Yanks, Cubs, Tigers, maybe a few more)

Its not having the jersey, its seeing the jersey on field. The same jersey set, for EVERY GAME I've ever watched, except the throwback game against Boston. Its boring. Its dull. I like the uniforms, but they're too simple. I want a change. Even if its just a few games a year.

Unless you're a fan of a team that doesn't do Alts or Throwbacks, and i think the only team like that now is the Dodgers, You wont understand.

Here's the thing. The Yankees' pinstripes are part of their brand, part of the Yankees experience. Say I went to New York and bought a ticket to a Yankees game. If the Yankees took the field wearing navy blue alternates I'd feel like the experience I paid for was lessoned. Seeing the Yankees in New York in pinstripes is part of that experience. One that shouldn't be chipped away at.

I've made that exact same point about the let down I felt when I went to wrigley for the first time and the cubs were wearing glorified BPs that day. It's a real thing, and teams need to understand and respect it. There's no Marlins "experience". There's no Diamondbacks "experience". There's no "experience" for most of the teams. But it's different for a few teams, and they should respect that at every one of their games, there's people there who are making their first and possibly only visit.

Exactly. I went to Wrigley with 7 friends for our annual "Twins trip" a few years ago. About half of us (myself included) had been there, but for the others, they got stuck with the blue alts for likely their only trip. The Cubs have as much right to wear an alt as the Marlins, but that does not mean they should. At any given Cubs game, there are probably a few hundred people attend the only Cubs game of their lives. They should get the pin stripes...same (and even moreso) for the Yankees.

I am no Yankee fan but I LOVE how they do as little as possible to dilute their brand. Keeping with tradition is great too (aside from the road details), but they always look like the Yankees. You can't say the same about a number of other teams.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It looks like the Reds will have a new camo jersey and a St Pattys day jersey which will be unveiled at Redsfest in a few days. Yuck.

Also, from the looks of the pics, their away jerseys will have a small tweak this season. The red/white/red sleeve striping will be at the bottom of the sleeve instead of slightly above the bottom.

What pics? Link? Not that I don't believe you, I just want to take a look.

It looks like the Reds will have a new camo jersey and a St Pattys day jersey which will be unveiled at Redsfest in a few days. Yuck.

Also, from the looks of the pics, their away jerseys will have a small tweak this season. The red/white/red sleeve striping will be at the bottom of the sleeve instead of slightly above the bottom.

It's on the Redsfest schedule for Friday: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2013/12/02/redsfest-highlights-schedule/

It's on the Redsfest schedule for Friday: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2013/12/02/redsfest-highlights-schedule/

Oh, okay, thanks. I was actually curious about pics of the movement of the road jersey stripe, but I realize I didn't make that clear. Anyway, I found a picture of the authentic road jersey they are selling on the Reds Web site.

pMLB2-5669327dt.jpg

I guess my question is why now, after doing it the other way for seven seasons? Props that you noticed (you'll fit in nicely around here :) ) but I doubt 99.7% of the general fan base will.

Interesting. I heard that rumored change last year and they were selling road authentics for $50 at Redsfest so I assumed they were making the change last season, but first road trip of the season and their uniforms were the same as ever when they took the field.

So yeah, why and why now?

I guess it sorta harkens back to the cuffed road jerseys of the 1990 world series so that's cool.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Oh, okay, thanks. I was actually curious about pics of the movement of the road jersey stripe, but I realize I didn't make that clear. Anyway, I found a picture of the authentic road jersey they are selling on the Reds Web site.

pMLB2-5669327dt.jpg

I guess my question is why now, after doing it the other way for seven seasons? Props that you noticed (you'll fit in nicely around here :) ) but I doubt 99.7% of the general fan base will.

Not a bad move (if it happens) but I remember similar speculation ahead of Redsfest last year about the same move (of the stripe), with folks noting that the Road Jerseys were being sold at a discount (as if they were being tweaked or replaced). My suspicion is that the pic from the Reds shop is a bad photoshop job and that the stripe will still be raised from the bottom of the sleeve.

Interesting. I heard that rumored change last year and they were selling road authentics for $50 at Redsfest so I assumed they were making the change last season, but first road trip of the season and their uniforms were the same as ever when they took the field.

So yeah, why and why now?

I guess it sorta harkens back to the cuffed road jerseys of the 1990 world series so that's cool.

Growing up and becoming a baseball fan during the end of the Big Red machine and especially the dark ages (for Reds fans) of the early 80s, I remember wishing the Reds would add a third color so their unis wouldn't be so boring. Since the early 90s, though, with their white hat era, then their black era, and now their Ye Olde Time Fonte Erae, I just wish they'd go back to "boring". I bought a 76 road Davey Concepcion Cooperstown Collection jersey at TJ Maxx last year that is a thing of beauty.

Only 6 games? 6 games is a lot of games. That's basically a full week of wearing dumb gross pandering camo jerseys.

The marlins didn't wear their grays tops for 6 games last year and we're going to wear camo for that many. Ugh.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Only 6 games? 6 games is a lot of games. That's basically a full week of wearing dumb gross pandering camo jerseys.

The marlins didn't wear their grays tops for 6 games last year and we're going to wear camo for that many. Ugh.

they didn't wear their grey jerseys at all.

they didn't wear their grey jerseys at all.

Exactly.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sources: Pirates P to Become Primary Logo in 2014

http://news.sportslogos.net/2013/12/05/sources-pirates-p-to-become-primary-logo-in-2014/

The worst part? The pirate head/bandana without the script will stick around as an alternate logo and stay on their uniform sleeves.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived