2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Chris points out, the new road BP jerseys for the Reds are black:

New-Reds-BP-Jerseys.jpg

What is this, 1999?

I don't think there's any way they could have made the camouflage jersey, the St. Patrick's Day jersey, or the batting practice jersey look any worse. A complete fail with all three. Anything with that awful Reds script is a fail, though. With the history the franchise has with the wishbone C-Reds logo, there is absolutely NO reason for that script to exist. I'm ashamed for my team.

The camo jerseys could have been a little less offensive if they'd used the regular home jersey and just replaced the white fabric with camo. That would still be plenty ugly, but not as bad...

20080705-griffey_camo_day.jpg

Same for the St. Pat's jerseys. They should have used the regular home jersey, but replace the red with green. For example, I always loved the late 70s - early 80s version of the Reds St. Pat's uniforms. They were the first team to do it and got it right...

1980RedsSpringTraining-300x239.jpg

I don't have a problem with the St. Patty's Day jerseys and hats, because it's in the exhibition season. I have a problem with these "promotional" jerseys/uniforms during the regular season. It cheapens the product and brand. It's no different than college football today, where everyone is wearing different uniforms every week and you have no clue who's playing if you don't check the ticker on the screen. There's no excuse or reason to wear a camo jersey whatsoever. If you want to celebrate our military and the service and sacrifice they have, then give them discounted tickets and recognize one of them at every game. Be respectful, but don't shill out crappy looking jerseys screaming out to people that you support the military, when in all reality you support more money from this stupid promotion. That's what teams should really call it, "A Stupid Promotions Making People Think We Support the Military When We Support Your Stupidity for Believing That and Giving Us Your Money."

The Mets actually do that, which makes the camo jerseys they will wear even more stupid and pointless.

This is disappointing. More alternates =/= good. More black = horrible. Camo = ugh

It woulda been sweet if Pete Rose broke Ty Cobb's record in a green Reds jersey (it even sounds as stupid as it looks). Imagine those famous photos of Ted Kluzinsky with the sleeves of his Camo jersey cut short. Apparently the "soldier" needed to show his guns. Sports Illustrated could've had a field day with this. It's a complete disgrace. All of it. There's ways to pander without selling out your entire brand.

Exactly my thoughts on the matter.

As Chris points out, the new road BP jerseys for the Reds are black:

New-Reds-BP-Jerseys.jpg

What is this, 1999?

I don't think there's any way they could have made the camouflage jersey, the St. Patrick's Day jersey, or the batting practice jersey look any worse. A complete fail with all three. Anything with that awful Reds script is a fail, though. With the history the franchise has with the wishbone C-Reds logo, there is absolutely NO reason for that script to exist. I'm ashamed for my team.

The camo jerseys could have been a little less offensive if they'd used the regular home jersey and just replaced the white fabric with camo. That would still be plenty ugly, but not as bad...

20080705-griffey_camo_day.jpg

Same for the St. Pat's jerseys. They should have used the regular home jersey, but replace the red with green. For example, I always loved the late 70s - early 80s version of the Reds St. Pat's uniforms. They were the first team to do it and got it right...

1980RedsSpringTraining-300x239.jpg

also exactly my thoughts on the matter. With their history they should be the red version of the Yankees or the Dodgers and they've chosen instead to be a dumb trend chaser.

My hate for that script that is becoming more and more prevalent is strong. I just know they're going to make a white alternate with that word mark across the chest and that will be a sad day. They've worn the wishbone C somewhere on their chest for every year since 1905. They don't need that script anywhere on the uniforms.

(For the record: the Reds honor a veteran at every home game. Last year I was at a game and there was a 90 year old guy in his military dress getting a standing ovation from the sold out crowd. It moved me to tears. That's how you honor the military.)

PvO6ZWJ.png

Was it on purpose that Jack Hannahan was the one chosen to model the St. Paddy's Day uni? :P

I agree with the majority here--these wouldn't all look half as bad if they had the wishbone C logo instead of that stupid "Reds" script that should never have been brought into existence in the first place.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

(For the record: the Reds honor a veteran at every home game. Last year I was at a game and there was a 90 year old guy in his military dress getting a standing ovation from the sold out crowd. It moved me to tears. That's how you honor the military.)

The Twins do it to. They have the vet raise the flag during the National Anthem. It's a nice tribute that does not have to be shown every minute of the game.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Apparently the Reds will be having an "Irish Heritage Night" during the season. Wonder if they'll break out the St. Patrick's Day jerseys for that one too. Stay tuned for red, black, and yellow uni's for German Heritage Night next year? (Of course, the Westside Irish probably love this jersey - it also features a shamrock logo on the sleeve)

New-Reds-St-Patricks-Day-Jersey.jpg

Thank you for the pics, was hoping the whole jersey would have been green like he NBA teams do it.

Any other teams getting St. Pattys jerseys?

the red sox normally do

If they would have made the script, numbers, and names in the same material as the rest of the jersey, they would be completely illegible instead of just mostly illegible. If you're going to do it wrong, do it all the way wrong.

well it matches what the military does with their patches making versions that use colors found in the pattern

The Twins do it to. They have the vet raise the flag during the National Anthem. It's a nice tribute that does not have to be shown every minute of the game.

Yankees do it too

Yankees do it too

I think as of last year every team does it. I think it's and MLB mandate. Yankees do it twice, for the Anthem and God Bless America. The Mets, Pirates, and Blue Jays all did it last year for the Anthems.

Anubis.png

Yankees do it too

I think as of last year every team does it. I think it's and MLB mandate. Yankees do it twice, for the Anthem and God Bless America. The Mets, Pirates, and Blue Jays all did it last year for the Anthems.

The Mets don't do it for the anthems. They have a Veteran of the Game during one of the inning breaks. They put the veteran on the scoreboard and the PA guy tells the crowd about him/her. The crowd, umps, and non-playing players give him/her a standing ovation, and one of the bench players presents him/her with a flag.

The best part about it is that, unlike the "God Bless America" routine, the players on the field keep warming up. So by doing it this way, the Mets are actually doing something nice for a veteran without slowing an already slow game down or by playing dress up.

And I'm pretty sure the Yankees don't bring out a veteran for the anthem either; at least they didn't whenever I was there. It's usually just the PA guy introducing the recording of either Robert Merrill or the Army (I think) band. Or when the Blue Jays are in, the organist will play both anthems live. Or every once in awhile a live person will sing. But unless the singer is a veteran, there is no special acknowledgment before the anthem.

Only 6 games? 6 games is a lot of games. That's basically a full week of wearing dumb gross pandering camo jerseys.

The marlins didn't wear their grays tops for 6 games last year and we're going to wear camo for that many. Ugh.

Still man, 6 games out of 162 isn't that much. The Padres wear their ugly camos twice as much.

Would you rather have a terrible camo jersey for 6 games, or a terrible alternate jersey that you wear for 50 games?

That's a silly question, because they don't have to have either a camo jersey or terrible alt. It's not one or the other. It's one, the other, both, or neither.

6 games is too much. Say someone throws a perfect game in the camo jersey. What if someone hits 5 HR in it? Or if some other historical event occurs in it? Is that the uniform that should be immortalized in the famous photos? Is that what should be in the HOF?

That's one reason why even one game is too much for some of these absurd pandering uniforms. How ridiculous would a photo or video reenactment of Babe Ruth calling his shot look if he was in some camo uniform with ribbons and other garbage all over it? Or if Jackie Robinson's first game had been in some silly uniform with a pink hat to bring attention to breast cancer?

These types of things are a disgrace to the game, and disgrace the people who wear them.

Derek Jeter broke Lou Gherigs Yankees hit record on sept 11 Yankees were wearing red Stars and Stripes hats. Looked awful. Terrible way to remember that moment. jeter obv was in the normal batting helmet but when his teammates all came over in red caps it looked so dumb. A signature Yankee moment ruined because they werent wearing signature Yankee caps.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

The Reds using that bland script more and more is starting to scare me. It looks just downright awful with that number/NOB font, which is also awful. They could at least match the way the drop shadow is offset (looking at the St. Patty's one), or, preferably, just remove it entirely.

Archived