The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

For all you that are freaking out about price for authentics, Rivercitysports.com has them reg $269 on for $149 right now.

Assuming they wouldn't sell them at a loss, maybe we should all be "freaking out" about the price of authentics since this indicates just how huge the league's markup really is. At least $100 profit on a $250 product? Must be nice.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Are these considered to be counterfeits? Since the NHL is not producing them at all they are not "Knockoffs" in the truest sense, but I am guessing that they do not have licensing rights to use the logos/name?

Yes, those are 100% counterfeit. You can usually look to see where it's coming from too. If it's from Asia, there's a good chance that it's not real.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Are these considered to be counterfeits? Since the NHL is not producing them at all they are not "Knockoffs" in the truest sense, but I am guessing that they do not have licensing rights to use the logos/name?

They're counterfeits, yes, but they're the only way to get a replica Barons jersey. They're one of the bastard children of the NHL that get no love from the throwbacks department. The only other way would be as mentioned above, to make one yourself but if the replicas aren't out there, good luck finding logo sets.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

They're counterfeits, yes, but they're the only way to get a replica Barons jersey. They're one of the bastard children of the NHL that get no love from the throwbacks department. The only other way would be as mentioned above, to make one yourself but if the replicas aren't out there, good luck finding logo sets.

That was my dilemma. Can something be considered a counterfeit if the item is not produced and sold on the legit market?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

That was my dilemma. Can something be considered a counterfeit if the item is not produced and sold on the legit market?

Right - it's not as cut and dried (ugh) as simply saying "look at where it's from - FAKE!!!"

The question is does anyone hold the rights to that logo anymore? My guess would be yes (either the league or the Sharks or maybe the Stars?) but if not, then there's nobody to license its use, and then (I think) it's fair game.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I would say yes, but it is much more acceptable in my eyes as you are not choosing to buy a counterfeit in order to save money. I have purchased a WHA Calgary Cowboys off of ebay in a similar circumstance.

FWIW, I've posted this before, but in order to make the replicas in the NHL for which Rbk charges around $115, it costs them just a little over $8 to produce the jerseys.

Also, as far as NFL replicas go, the cost is about the same, but IIRC, retailers purchase the jerseys for around $35 from Rbk.

6fQjS3M.png

For all you that are freaking out about price for authentics, Rivercitysports.com has them reg $269 on for $149 right now.

Assuming they wouldn't sell them at a loss

businesses NEVER sell things at a loss to either (a) get rid of them quick or (b ) generate publicity/goodwill and thus repeat business :rolleyes:

1zgyd8w.jpg

FWIW, I've posted this before, but in order to make the replicas in the NHL for which Rbk charges around $115, it costs them just a little over $8 to produce the jerseys.

Also, as far as NFL replicas go, the cost is about the same, but IIRC, retailers purchase the jerseys for around $35 from Rbk.

While the jersey may only cost $8 to make, how much does say a Dicks or Sports Authority pay to buy them from RBK? How much does it cost to ship the jersey to the retail location? What percentage of the jersey sale go to the paycheck of the check out person etc...

Just because they cost $8 to make there are a lot of hidden costs once it finally gets to the consumer.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Assuming they wouldn't sell them at a loss

businesses NEVER sell things at a loss to either (a) get rid of them quick or (b ) generate publicity/goodwill and thus repeat business :rolleyes:

A valid point but a reach in this debate. Do you really think it costs over $149 to produce an NFL authentic?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

While the jersey may only cost $8 to make, how much does say a Dicks or Sports Authority pay to buy them from RBK? How much does it cost to ship the jersey to the retail location? What percentage of the jersey sale go to the paycheck of the check out person etc...

Just because they cost $8 to make there are a lot of hidden costs once it finally gets to the consumer.

Right, which is why I threw in the point that I know about the NFL replicas, that retailers buy them for around $35.

I'm not sure if this statistic is something that I heard or something I'm making up, so take it for what you will, but I think it costs retailers around $50 to buy NHL replicas from Rbk.

6fQjS3M.png

This is just awesome.

1.0x0.jpg

1. Logo is horrible

2. Font is wrong

3. 40th anniversary patch is only featured on white 40th anniversary jerseys

4. Canucks didn't wear these in the Finals, so there shouldn't be a Finals patch

5. Finals patch is on the wrong side.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Assuming they wouldn't sell them at a loss, maybe we should all be "freaking out" about the price of authentics since this indicates just how huge the league's markup really is. At least $100 profit on a $250 product? Must be nice.

Let's look at this logically, shall we?

First, let's take a look at inflation. I bought my first NHL authentic in 1990 for $135. Inflation is ~ 3%, and over the last 20 years, that means the cost of a $135 item would make that purchase roughly $232. $269 isn't that much of a stretch with that perspective now is it?

Now consider the other big factor brought up - profit margin. Sure, making $100 sounds nice, and we could all get rich if we sold authentic jerseys all day long. The problem is that not a lot of them are sold - just like cars - so that when they are sold, the dealer has to turn a decent profit. See, the dealer is taking the risk of spending $150 by buying them from Reebok. Then has to have them sit around in his showroom or store until someone wants to buy it. Let's say he buys 10 authentic jerseys at $1500 from Reebok and sets the price at $269. Sure, if he sells them all, he's going to realize a nice profit of $1190. But what if only 3 sell at full price because Joe Thornton got traded from the Bruins to the Sharks? Suddenly he's got $807 in the bank, and is still $693 from breaking even. Selling for cost still makes that owner a profit, but how many people post trade are going to want a Bruins Thornton authentic jersey at that point? Maybe he can sell them for $100 and just eek out a profit. Maybe he has to sell them to TJ Maxx at $50 a piece and never gets out from under it. Or, maybe he gets lucky - in that he doesn't buy Thornton jerseys. Maybe he buys Steve Yzerman jerseys. Still, it may take that guy a whole year to sell those 10 jerseys. And in that time, he's out the $1500 until he can sell ~ 6 of them.

This one has me laughing. Apparently they played the Winter Classic during the Stanley Cup Finals.

1.0x0.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Was at the Coliseum for the A's/Giants game and there were so many fans wearing fake Giants jerseys. It was really alarming how many were out there and by the way they were acting, probably not real fans. They acted like bandwagon fans that have never been to a ballgame (cheering at every instance, screaming at every pop up thinking it's a HR, etc...)

Go A's!