The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

On a semi-related note, Reebok announced last week that they'll be upping the price of an NFL screenprinted replica jersey another $5 to $85, citing rising material costs. For those keeping track, the going rate for an NFL replica before Reebok locked down exclusive rights in '02 was $45-50. Reebok immediately upped that to $65 upon landing the monopoly.

I would certainly never pay that kind of price for a jersey, nor would I plunk down $300 for a customized authentic NHL jersey, much less a blank one. Exclusivity deals have killed competition, spiked prices, and I feel have contributed in no small part to the explosion of counterfeiters. I understand why people would be drawn to the fakes, especially if they don't bother with noticing the details. Still doesn't make it right, though.

As for me, I buy legit, but I know better than to pay retail. You can still easily get a brand new NFL replica for $50 or less, or an NHL authentic for $150, if you know when and where to look. And when I can't afford one, I don't buy one.

Guess what... Reebok won't be the only one upping their pricing.

Raw cotton prices have more than doubled since last year!! That affects everything, not just cotton fabrics but blends and synthetics as well. Reebok's not blowing smoke.

Look for everything from blank walmart tees to high end fashion prices to be increased to make up for it. Not to mention gas prices for deliveries are ever increasing and inflection...

I also will never again purchase anything from the leagues, the quality of their product VS the price is ridiculous. Therefor I am not costing anyone, anything since I would never purchase it to begin with.

If only the world was that straight forward.

The reality is that you are supporting an industry that steals intellectual property and takes money away from the leagues. Therefore, indirectly, you are helping take money away from the owners of that intellectual property.

I'm not trying to change your mind about buying counterfeits (because as we've found out that's not gonna happen), just don't think you're not in the wrong here. If you know what you're doing isn't right and you still do it, then that is your choice.

jNTsTyQ.png

Here's a question...what about the classic, more generic looks? The Colts for example. You can buy a jersey with the UCLA-style shoulder stripe in Colts' colors from almost any uni supplier in the country. You can buy a blue jersey with a double-shoulder stripe in white, put 18 for the number and Manning on the back. The only thing missing is...nothing, because the Colts don't even use a wordmark below the collar. And the designer and Reebok and the NFL are left out in the financial cold just as they would be if you bought a China fake, right? What crime is being committed there? In that case, is the team's design just not protected?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Here's a question...what about the classic, more generic looks? The Colts for example. You can buy a jersey with the UCLA-style shoulder stripe in Colts' colors from almost any uni supplier in the country. You can buy a blue jersey with a double-shoulder stripe in white, put 18 for the number and Manning on the back. The only thing missing is...nothing, because the Colts don't even use a wordmark below the collar. And the designer and Reebok and the NFL are left out in the financial cold just as they would be if you bought a China fake, right? What crime is being committed there? In that case, is the team's design just not protected?

What you're talking about is actually just fine. You forget that there are a few 'key' components missing. The NFL Equipment Shield, the Reebok logo on the sleeves and the NFL Equipment Jock Tag. The only way this would be illegal is if they were made with trademarked logos AND sold.

Some people with the proper skills can actually make their own jerseys, which are thousands times better than the counterfeiters and isn't illegal because they're not being sold to anyone. You can actually buy team embroidered patches online and at stores that can be used in making the jerseys. I've used Equipment patches and jock tags from pulled apart jerseys to put on the ones I've made.

I think that a team could argue that even if you're not ripping off any TMd logos or proprietary fonts, you are still intending to deceive a would-be purchaser by making them think that it is a Colts jersey (especially if you put Manning 18 on the back.) I don't know what the laws are about that, but I know that people have been busted for selling shirts with college slogans on them that used the school colors because they were clearly designed to look like something that came from the school itself.

That being said, I think it'd be extremely unlikely that anyone would ever get busted for selling white jerseys with blue sleeve stripes and an 18, unless it had the NFL logo as well. This is one reason why you see teams putting their wordmarks under their collars, and logo patches on the front if there aren't any on the sleeves (Jets for example.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Except the initial purchase is a crime in and of itself, dumbass.

I'm really starting to wonder if this is a previously-banned member coming back to :censored: with us. Say, LoveTheFakes, would you describe yourself as "culturally black"?

I see where youre going with that.

I also will never again purchase anything from the leagues, the quality of their product VS the price is ridiculous. Therefor I am not costing anyone, anything since I would never purchase it to begin with.

If only the world was that straight forward.

The reality is that you are supporting an industry that steals intellectual property and takes money away from the leagues. Therefore, indirectly, you are helping take money away from the owners of that intellectual property.

I'm not trying to change your mind about buying counterfeits (because as we've found out that's not gonna happen), just don't think you're not in the wrong here. If you know what you're doing isn't right and you still do it, then that is your choice.

And if you pay taxes, then you are supporting an industry that steals resources and takes money away from other countries. Therefore, indirectly, you are helping take money away from owners of those resources. But if you know what you're doing isn't right and you still do it, then that is your choice.

Sucks the way the world actually works, don't it?

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

What you're talking about is actually just fine. You forget that there are a few 'key' components missing. The NFL Equipment Shield, the Reebok logo on the sleeves and the NFL Equipment Jock Tag. The only way this would be illegal is if they were made with trademarked logos AND sold.

Some people with the proper skills can actually make their own jerseys, which are thousands times better than the counterfeiters and isn't illegal because they're not being sold to anyone. You can actually buy team embroidered patches online and at stores that can be used in making the jerseys. I've used Equipment patches and jock tags from pulled apart jerseys to put on the ones I've made.

But wouldn't it violate the spirit if not the letter of the law?

I think that a team could argue that even if you're not ripping off any TMd logos or proprietary fonts, you are still intending to deceive a would-be purchaser by making them think that it is a Colts jersey (especially if you put Manning 18 on the back.) I don't know what the laws are about that, but I know that people have been busted for selling shirts with college slogans on them that used the school colors because they were clearly designed to look like something that came from the school itself.

That being said, I think it'd be extremely unlikely that anyone would ever get busted for selling white jerseys with blue sleeve stripes and an 18, unless it had the NFL logo as well. This is one reason why you see teams putting their wordmarks under their collars, and logo patches on the front if there aren't any on the sleeves (Jets for example.)

I was looking at this from the buyer's perspective, purchasing the jersey I described for personal use.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

For all you that are freaking out about price for authentics, Rivercitysports.com has them reg $269 on for $149 right now.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17