First Round starts tonight. Albany vs Mt. St. Mary's early game and then NC State vs Xavier. Interesting to see if it will be a pro Xavier crowd since their fans don't have to travel very far, or if the Dayton faithful that are still around or not headed to Buffalo come out to cheer on NC State along with the Wolfpack fan base.

Less than 1,000 tickets were left for tonight as of Monday afternoon and less than 2,000 left for Wednesday night.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hate these early opening games. Tuesday and we're already playing? I haven't given my bracket more than like 5 minutes of thought. And I know these play-ins don't count towards the brackets, but still. (Not to mention three play-ins in one region. Stupid.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I really hate these early opening games. Tuesday and we're already playing? I haven't given my bracket more than like 5 minutes of thought. And I know these play-ins don't count towards the brackets, but still. (Not to mention three play-ins in one region. Stupid.)

It would have been more salient had each "First Four" matchup determined the #16 seeds for each of the #1's, instead of a region having three of the play-in entrants. Then again, it's the NCAA, vying with FIFA and the IOC to be the most corrupt sports entity, worldwide.

It would have been more salient had each "First Four" matchup determined the #16 seeds for each of the #1's, instead of a region having three of the play-in entrants. Then again, it's the NCAA, vying with FIFA and the IOC to be the most corrupt sports entity, worldwide.

No, the play-ins should feature the at larges.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Agreed and one reagon gets a play-in. So the rule on new conferences and auto bids was waived for the American I assume? Cause the first year the mt west did not get a auto bid correct??

It was waived for the Big East, although it shouldn't have been.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It was waived for the Big East, although it shouldn't have been.

Well no they should of it's that bill the cat conference u love so much that should of not gotten that. But they kept the auto bid.

The "Catholic 7" decided to quit the Big East, but stay together. in terms of lineage, The AAC is the successor of the old conference and thus holder of the autobid. Since the "Catholic 7" were together in a conference for over five years, they were allowed to possess an auto bid in year one.

I would think these smaller conferences having the #16-seeds prefer the play-in games, for two reasons:

1. It gives them the ability to say "We won an NCAA Tournament game.", even if it's against a fellow small-conference school.

2. Albeit, it's tru-TV, but being the only game on puts them into the spotlight in prime time for a couple hours. That beats being blown out and lost amongst the shuffle of three other games (all of which are highly likely to be more competitive than the #16 vs. #1 game).

I would think these smaller conferences having the #16-seeds prefer the play-in games, for two reasons:

1. It gives them the ability to say "We won an NCAA Tournament game.", even if it's against a fellow small-conference school.

2. Albeit, it's tru-TV, but being the only game on puts them into the spotlight in prime time for a couple hours. That beats being blown out and lost amongst the shuffle of three other games (all of which are highly likely to be more competitive than the #16 vs. #1 game).

I heard St. Mary's Gaels coach Randy Bennett on radio today and when asked about it, since he has been both seeded and put in Dayton, he agreed with the host's comment that playing in Dayton is like (I am paraphrasing), "being invited to the high school house party but you are not allowed inside the house, rather you have to stay in the garage until being told you can enter."

Speaking of Dayton...I see they're making it a close one against the Buckeyes right now.

Depending on how UD and St. Louis go in the tourney, I think both should be invited into the Big East (UD to reunite with Xavier, STL to bridge between Creighton and the rest)

bYhYmxh.png

Archived