Ranking NFL Helmets only

ScubaSteve

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst over all- BROWNS! Why and complete orange helmet for the team named the browns!?!?!?!

Do people still not understand why Cleveland's football team is named the Browns? Damn. It's 2013.

Going to take an opposite but equally ridiculous approach on those of you listing "Washington" instead of the team's name while calling all others by name. (yes, I noticed you making PC fools our of yourself)

washington-redskins-helmet.jpg

Top 10:

1. Redskins - one of the most detailed logos and best color scheme with unique facemask

2. Cincinnati - the stripes still work

3. Houston - one of the best logos in the NFL

4.Tampa Bay - great logo and color scheme

5. Minnesota - the new satin finish looks great, with a classic logo

6. St. Louis - the ram horns work in any color scheme

7. Kansas City - classic logo, great red and white look

8. Oakland - silver and black with classic logo

9. Green Bay - another classic logo, unique color scheme and facemask...would be MUCH lower with gray mask

10. New Orleans - gold and black look great together on their helmet, too bad their uniforms fall short in comparison

Resisting the urge to post a "u mad bro" pic on this and I'll just address your points as they are. The Washington logo is weird in that, it would be fine if it was just the Native American head adorned with feathers enclosed within the circle. But the fact that the circle for some unknown reason is also adorned with feathers always looked really odd and never made any sense, and there's really not much explanation to it other than "that's just the way it is."

Burgundy and gold is unique, I'll give you that, but is the overall helmet (colors, logo, striping, etc.) one of the Top 5 in the NFL? No, not at all.

I'm assuming it's a drum with feathers. Much like the Utah Utes logo.

And the Redskins helmet is excellent. I have no problem with it being top-5.

It's never been said anywhere that it's a drum and feathers. Not to mention why would there be a picture of a native American on a drum? At Utah it looks like the drums that their drum majors use with the big "U" on them.

Even on the CCSC mothership

Native American head inside yellow circle with hanging feathers

Washington's helmet just looks tired to me... I feel like it's outlived it's welcome (and I'm generally one who supports tradition). I think it would be improved greatly by the reduction of all those stripes. Maybe just a single gold stripe like Pittsburgh? Mostly, though, I'm tired of that ugly yellow mask. Burgundy would be a 100% improvement... hell, gray would be better.

Washington's helmet just looks tired to me... I feel like it's outlived it's welcome (and I'm generally one who supports tradition). I think it would be improved greatly by the reduction of all those stripes. Maybe just a single gold stripe like Pittsburgh? Mostly, though, I'm tired of that ugly yellow mask. Burgundy would be a 100% improvement... hell, gray would be better.

The Redskins helmet has an old school look to it and that is the main reason I would never want it changed. As far as a Burgundy facemask..oh no, but to each their own.

spacer.png

Worst over all- BROWNS! Why and complete orange helmet for the team named the browns!?!?!?!

Do people still not understand why Cleveland's football team is named the Browns? Damn. It's 2013.

Going to take an opposite but equally ridiculous approach on those of you listing "Washington" instead of the team's name while calling all others by name. (yes, I noticed you making PC fools our of yourself)

washington-redskins-helmet.jpg

Top 10:

1. Redskins - one of the most detailed logos and best color scheme with unique facemask

2. Cincinnati - the stripes still work

3. Houston - one of the best logos in the NFL

4.Tampa Bay - great logo and color scheme

5. Minnesota - the new satin finish looks great, with a classic logo

6. St. Louis - the ram horns work in any color scheme

7. Kansas City - classic logo, great red and white look

8. Oakland - silver and black with classic logo

9. Green Bay - another classic logo, unique color scheme and facemask...would be MUCH lower with gray mask

10. New Orleans - gold and black look great together on their helmet, too bad their uniforms fall short in comparison

Resisting the urge to post a "u mad bro" pic on this and I'll just address your points as they are. The Washington logo is weird in that, it would be fine if it was just the Native American head adorned with feathers enclosed within the circle. But the fact that the circle for some unknown reason is also adorned with feathers always looked really odd and never made any sense, and there's really not much explanation to it other than "that's just the way it is."

Burgundy and gold is unique, I'll give you that, but is the overall helmet (colors, logo, striping, etc.) one of the Top 5 in the NFL? No, not at all.

I'm assuming it's a drum with feathers. Much like the Utah Utes logo.

And the Redskins helmet is excellent. I have no problem with it being top-5.

It's never been said anywhere that it's a drum and feathers. Not to mention why would there be a picture of a native American on a drum? At Utah it looks like the drums that their drum majors use with the big "U" on them.

Even on the CCSC mothership

Native American head inside yellow circle with hanging feathers

Those actually don't exist, and I don't think the school's logo is a tribute to the marching band. Good one though. Drum majors don't play the drums either, drummers do that.

A Native American would be on a Native-American drum to further enhance the imagery. If it was just a blank drum with feathers, it'd look pretty lame.

Their helmets were better when there was more distance between the stripes.

rypien-thumb-580x326.jpg

The helmet improved a lot when they added the metallic finish to it.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The yellow mask is unique in the NFL. Better than a gray or black mask that half the league uses.

It's kind of like San Jose State - they always looked better with a yellow mask than the gray mask they currently wear.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think this illustrates an interesting point. Almost everyone has the Jaguars last (as would I). And almost everyone has the Bengals in the top 5 (as would I).

Both helmets are "innovative." Therefore, "innovative" is neither good nor bad.

Being different is good. New ideas are good. Thats the whole point of design, to do something different. But one of those helmets is designed with the principles of design in mind and with good taste. The other is a perfect example of what not to do. Even the logo

Different can be good, but it is not inherently good. Case in point - the Jags.

1977_110.jpg

I wouldnt mind

my biased opinion. Chargers #1 and the Jags #32. I don't care to rank in between. There are so many that are all really good in my opinion. One thing to remember even though there's a lot of love for it on here...the Raiders have a dude wearing a helmet on their helmet. It makes me think of Beavis and Butthead, when Butthead wanted a tattoo of a butt on his butt. Yes, I'm a Raider hater.

I like the tiers idea.

The Best:

Dallas, Cincinnati, Los Angeles-St. Louis, Washington, San Francisco, Green Bay, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Chicago, Cleveland

The Good:

NY Giants, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Kansas City, Minnesota, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, New England

The Not-Good-But-Not-Bad:

Buffalo, Tennessee, Seattle, Arizona, Houston, Baltimore, Denver

The Bad:

Atlanta, Carolina, Miami, Detroit, NY Jets

The Horrendously-Hidious:

Jacksonville

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I think this illustrates an interesting point. Almost everyone has the Jaguars last (as would I). And almost everyone has the Bengals in the top 5 (as would I).

Being different is good. New ideas are good. Thats the whole point of design, to do something different. But one of those helmets is designed with the principles of design in mind and with good taste. The other is a perfect example of what not to do. Even the logo

yea, that's exactly what i said. LOL

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

yea, that's exactly what i said. LOL

I was agreeing with you. Clearly I should have done a better job of communicating that. My bad.

I like the tiers idea.

The Best:

Dallas, Cincinnati, Los Angeles-St. Louis, Washington, San Francisco, Green Bay, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Chicago, Cleveland

The Good:

NY Giants, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Kansas City, Minnesota, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, New England

The Bad:

Jacksonville

I don't get what's so bad about Detroit? They're a blue facemask away from a great looking helmet.

I like the tiers idea.

The Best:

The Good:

The Bad:

Jacksonville

I don't get what's so bad about Detroit? They're a blue facemask away from a great looking helmet.

Eh, I think that's overstating it. Great? What's the deal with that shrunken stripe? What a weird decision... it always makes me think of those toy football uniforms Hutch made back in the 70's.

I do like the updated Bubbles, but personally, I'd drop the black all-together... talk about unnecessary additions.

Archived