Ranking NFL Helmets only

ScubaSteve

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

28. New York Jets

The design's considered a classic by some, but the logo's really showing its age. An oval that contains the JETS wordmark, an NY, and a football? It's to much. The plain oval/NY mark they used a while back would have served as a great update while keeping the overall look intact.

They are playing with ideas.

Since the Bengals are on most of your top fives- What do think about it in a matte finish? I think it could enhance the look.

I would be against it. Matte helmets always look unfinished to me. I've yet to see a matte helmet where I thought matte looked sufficiently better then standard gloss would have.

This is my stance on all matte helmets as well. The next matte helmet that looks better than it would've in gloss will be the first.

The Bengals would look much worse with a matte helmet as I think the high gloss is one of the reasons it's such a nice looking helmet. It's gotten even better since they switched from decaled stripes to painted stripes.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Going to take an opposite but equally ridiculous approach on those of you listing "Washington" instead of the team's name while calling all others by name. (yes, I noticed you making PC fools our of yourself)

washington-redskins-helmet.jpg

Top 10:
1. Redskins - one of the most detailed logos and best color scheme with unique facemask

2. Cincinnati - the stripes still work

3. Houston - one of the best logos in the NFL

4.Tampa Bay - great logo and color scheme

5. Minnesota - the new satin finish looks great, with a classic logo

6. St. Louis - the ram horns work in any color scheme

7. Kansas City - classic logo, great red and white look

8. Oakland - silver and black with classic logo

9. Green Bay - another classic logo, unique color scheme and facemask...would be MUCH lower with gray mask

10. New Orleans - gold and black look great together on their helmet, too bad their uniforms fall short in comparison

Bottom 10:

23. New York blue team (low due to gray facemask)

24. New England - because of Elvis

25. Buffalo (low due to gray facemask)

26. Arizona (low due to gray facemask)

27. Atanta - horrible logo, no red

28. Seattle - fake carbon fiber-like material, not a fan

29. Baltimore - ugly colors and logo
30. Miami - horrible logo and minimizing orange

31. Tennessee - horrible logo, overall mess

32. Jacksonville.- everything

BIsra3QCAAIXnjv.jpg

87Redskins.png

I love those Rams helmets and uniforms.

Also, notice how clean the horns and panels on the jersey are stitched, unlike today's jerseys with shoulder stripes.

Maybe we should go back to screen printing. It can be done in a matte finish.

This is unacceptable:

Landry-426x320.jpglandry-laron-02.jpg

87Redskins.png

Top 10:

1. Redskins - one of the most detailed logos and best color scheme with unique facemask

9. Green Bay - another classic logo, unique color scheme and facemask...would be MUCH lower with gray mask

10. New Orleans - gold and black look great together on their helmet, too bad their uniforms fall short in comparison

23. New York blue team (low due to gray facemask)

24. New England - because of Elvis

25. Buffalo (low due to gray facemask)

26. Arizona (low due to gray facemask)

27. Atanta - horrible logo, no red

28. Seattle - fake carbon fiber-like material, not a fan

29. Baltimore - ugly colors and logo

30. Miami - horrible logo and minimizing orange

31. Tennessee - horrible logo, overall mess

32. Jacksonville.- everything

Your smarmy language aside, I'd say that "one of the most detailed" is not a plus for a helmet logo. Fresno State has a detailed logo too (and runs away as worst helmet in FBS, IMO). It's a helmet; slightly bigger than a player's head. To be seen on TV and various marketing schemes. Most of the rest of your top 10 have minimal detail, Tampa Bay being a notable exception (and the only problem I really have with their look). That lack of intricacy is what makes helmets like the Rams, Bengals, and Texans look good. I'd say there is way more detail in your bottom 10 (Jax, Ten, Atl, Bal), which is mainly made up of higher-detailed logos and gray facemasks.

Also, if you are going to go to such great lengths to pump your chest about how non-PC you are, maybe "New York (NFC)" is the way to go.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

28. New York Jets

The design's considered a classic by some, but the logo's really showing its age. An oval that contains the JETS wordmark, an NY, and a football? It's to much. The plain oval/NY mark they used a while back would have served as a great update while keeping the overall look intact.

They are playing with ideas.

Going to take an opposite but equally ridiculous approach on those of you listing "Washington" instead of the team's name while calling all others by name. (yes, I noticed you making PC fools our of yourself)

Top 10:

Resisting the urge to post a "u mad bro" pic on this and I'll just address your points as they are. The Washington logo is weird in that, it would be fine if it was just the Native American head adorned with feathers enclosed within the circle. But the fact that the circle for some unknown reason is also adorned with feathers always looked really odd and never made any sense, and there's really not much explanation to it other than "that's just the way it is."

Burgundy and gold is unique, I'll give you that, but is the overall helmet (colors, logo, striping, etc.) one of the Top 5 in the NFL? No, not at all.

Since the Bengals are on most of your top fives- What do think about it in a matte finish? I think it could enhance the look.

Matte black stripes might be interesting. I dont think that bright orange is a color i would like in matte. Id like to see the Colts in matte white though

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Worst over all- BROWNS! Why and complete orange helmet for the team named the browns!?!?!?!

Do people still not understand why Cleveland's football team is named the Browns? Damn. It's 2013.

Top 10:

Resisting the urge to post a "u mad bro" pic on this and I'll just address your points as they are. The Washington logo is weird in that, it would be fine if it was just the Native American head adorned with feathers enclosed within the circle. But the fact that the circle for some unknown reason is also adorned with feathers always looked really odd and never made any sense, and there's really not much explanation to it other than "that's just the way it is."

Burgundy and gold is unique, I'll give you that, but is the overall helmet (colors, logo, striping, etc.) one of the Top 5 in the NFL? No, not at all.

I'm assuming it's a drum with feathers. Much like the Utah Utes logo.

And the Redskins helmet is excellent. I have no problem with it being top-5.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived