Columbus Crew Will "Refresh Brand" In Time For 2015 MLS Season

buckeye

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think even the name Columbus FC could work very well. Redesign the unis and keep the yellow. When you watch a MLS game on TV and you see the construction yellow, you know it's Columbus.

They should stay away from the Christopher "dumbass" Columbus idea (the guy bumped into the Americas and was a murderer anyways). The Columbus Clippers already have taken that, and that's too much already.

You guys know that Bayern is an actual location? So Bayern Columbus would make zero sense.

Milwaukee has a semi-pro club by that name... sort of. But it was actually founded in the 1920s by Bavarian immigrants.

Shh, don't use logic.

I'm fine with them keeping the Crew name. Yes, while I know that 1996 isn't "that long ago", it's their name and their tradition.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm fine with them keeping the Crew name. Yes, while I know that 1996 isn't "that long ago", it's their name and their tradition.

Agreed, Kev. There are soccer enthusiasts who sound-off about the lack of soccer tradition in the United States and Canada, yet they are quick to advocate for professional sides in said countries to eschew team identities that have historically been linked to the sport in the two nations. And why? In favor of adopting international-style branding that flies in the face of maintaining what little locally-relevant soccer tradition does exist here.

In my opinion, when the Crew identity was originally unveiled, I didn't think it particularly suited the Columbus market. That said, I'm now of the mind that eighteen seasons, eleven playoff appearances, an MLS Cup Championship, three Supporters' Shields, and a U.S. Open Cup title under the Columbus Crew name should cement that brand as the traditional identity for Columbus, Ohio pro soccer.

Didn't stop the SporKCs, of course.

No, but I thought that rebranding was a mistake, as well. Well, at least the renaming was unnecessary, in my opinion.

The original Wiz name and logo were, undoubtedly, both abominations. The team's second logo still struck me as being underwhelming. That said, I thought the Kansas City Wizards name the team switched to in 1997 was just fine. And the logo the team used from 2007 through 2010 was solid, if simplistic.

My take on the Wizards-to-Sporting rebrand is similar to how I would feel about Columbus dumping the Crew name at this point: I question the decision to jettison a name that adorned a team for 17 seasons, including 11 playoff appearances, an MLS Cup Championship and Supporters' Shield "double" in 2000, and a pair of U.S. Open Cup titles.

Frankly, I find the Sporting Kansas City name to be pretentiously ridiculous and the club's logo to be piss-poor, at best.

Still, engaged ownership and a phenomenal stadium make up for mediocre branding.

I once heard someone say they were named the Crew as in Christopher Columbus' crew. I don't know how much truth there is to that as they went with the construction theme pretty early on. A nautical motif wouldn't have been the worst idea had they gone with it back at the beginning, however.

I think it's way overdue that they update that logo. It's awful.

It would have had brand synergy with the baseball team though.

You guys know that Bayern is an actual location? So Bayern Columbus would make zero sense.

And we don't have a King so RSL makes zero sense too.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Having been born in Ohio and a big supporter of soccer I was always bothered by how outdated the Columbus Crew logo was as new franchises came in and older franchises rebranded. Considering that Columbus had the firs soccer specific stadium I was hoping they would remain at the forefront of change. This change is welcomed and although I have no design skills I have often imagined various elements that may work by themselves or together in a redesign.

- Call the team Columbus FC, but to allow it to be unique yet give the European feel instead of Football Club refer to it as Football Crew.

- Keep the shape of the original badge.

-To not completely abandon the original logo perhaps just put three helmets within the badge, but with maybe an overhead view of the three helmets.

-Maybe incorporate a black/gold checkerboard pattern into the logo or uniforms

-Since they are an original franchise possibly work 96 into the redesign

-For some reason when thinking of a possibly redesign I kept imagining a West Ham United type of identity with maybe incorporating a sledge hammer, pickaxe, or some other road working tool without it looking like a ripoff of the Timbers and the use of the axe in their identity package.

Those are just some of the things I brainstormed in the past as possibilities. I realize this post is long and is probably appears to be a rambling mess, so be gentle.

As long as they keep the name and the colors its fine. One of only 3 inaugural MLS teams (DC United, NE Revolution) to still have their original colors/name.

Actually, it's only New England and Columbus. D.C. had a different logo for their 1st year and were officially called, "Washington D.C. United," but then switched it up to the one they have now, and dropped the "Washington" moniker.

j24jwmt6y3fja8gfjsjkhy6i1.gif

DCUnitedCurrent.png

In my opinion, when the Crew identity was originally unveiled, I didn't think it particularly suited the Columbus market. That said, I'm now of the mind that eighteen seasons, eleven playoff appearances, an MLS Cup Championship, three Supporters' Shields, and a U.S. Open Cup title under the Columbus Crew name should cement that brand as the traditional identity for Columbus, Ohio pro soccer.

Don't forget their stadium (the name and all the background of it) being the apparent "official home" of the U.S. Men's National Team. To some of my MLS-viewing friends, the whole Crew nomenclature is considered appropriate towards how the USMNT seems to always play big in Columbus.

Well aware of it, I made a silly example as a point of emphasis given the likes of "Real Salt Lake" and "Sporting KC" being actual MLS names that are equally absurd,

Archived