2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose this is a question that should have been asked years ago, but why is Manaus even hosting games? IT'S IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GODDAMN AMAZON RAINFOREST! YOU CAN ONLY GET THERE BY FLYING TO IT! IT'S LIKE BRAZILIAN PHOENIX, A MONUMENT TO MAN'S ARROGANCE AND FOLLY!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'll be the first one to make some early predictions:

Group A

Brazil*

Cameroon*

Croatia

Mexico

Group B (Group of Death**)

Spain*

Netherlands*

Chile

Australia

Group C

Colombia*

Japan*

Côte d'Ivoire

Greece

Group D

Italy*

Uruguay*

England

Costa Rica

Group E

France*

Switzerland*

Ecuador

Honduras

Group F

Argentina*

Bosnia and Herzegovina*

Nigeria

Iran

Group G

Germany*

Portugal*

United States

Ghana

Group H

Belgium*

Russia*

South Korea

Algeria

**Group B is the quintessential Group of Death. A 2010 World Cup finals rematch in the group stage plus a very strong Chile team and an always competitive Australia side...wow.

Round of 16

Brazil over The Netherlands

Uruguay over Colombia

France over Bosnia and Herzegovina

Germany over Russia

Spain over Cameroon

Italy over Japan

Argentina over Switzerland

Belgium over Portugal (penalties)

Quarterfinals

Brazil over Uruguay

Germany over France

Spain over Italy

Argentina over Belgium

Semifinals

Brazil over Germany

Argentina over Spain

Final

Brazil over Argentina

25yzwqg.png

I'll be the first one to make some early predictions:

Group A

Brazil*

Cameroon*

Croatia

Mexico

Group B (Group of Death**)

Spain*

Netherlands*

Chile

Australia

Group C

Colombia*

Japan*

Côte d'Ivoire

Greece

Group D

Italy*

Uruguay*

England

Costa Rica

Group E

France*

Switzerland*

Ecuador

Honduras

Group F

Argentina*

Bosnia and Herzegovina*

Nigeria

Iran

Group G

Germany*

Portugal*

United States

Ghana

Group H

Belgium*

Russia*

South Korea

Algeria

**Group B is the quintessential Group of Death. A 2010 World Cup finals rematch in the group stage plus a very strong Chile team and an always competitive Australia side...wow.

Round of 16

Brazil over The Netherlands

Uruguay over Colombia

France over Bosnia and Herzegovina

Germany over Russia

Spain over Cameroon

Italy over Japan

Argentina over Switzerland

Belgium over Portugal (penalties)

Quarterfinals

Brazil over Uruguay

Germany over France

Spain over Italy

Argentina over Belgium

Semifinals

Brazil over Germany

Argentina over Spain

Final

Brazil over Argentina

No, the Group of Death is G.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Jesus... How did we get a group like that and a group like Group H exists?

Belgium and Russia are legitimate (Belgium waffle-stomped through qualifying, and Russia beat Portugal to win their group), but South Korea and Algeria could have easily been Uzbekistan and Burkina Faso. It might be the only group that is only 2-deep with talent.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Eh, true. With more time to think on it, I'm actually kind of happy to be in this Group of Death. It means in order for the US to advance, we have to beat some good teams and we'd have a good chance at actually making the quarterfinals.

But, this could just be my attempt at making this situation look better than it really is.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I'll take a stab at predictions, although the US did get screwed, Mexico's group ain't much better. C, F, and H look to be pretty "easy" groups. G and D are probably the 2 toughest.

Group A

Brazil*

Croatia*

Cameroon

Mexico

Group B

Spain*

Chile*

Netherlands

Australia

Group C

Colombia*

Ivory Coast*

Greece

Japan

Group D

Italy*

Uruguay*

England

Costa Rica

Group E

Switzerland*

France*

Ecuador

Honduras

Group F

Argentina*

Bosnia-Herzegovina*

Iran

Nigeria

Group G

Germany*

Portugal*

Ghana

USA

Group H

Belgium*

Russia*

Algeria

South Korea

*indicates advancing teams

I would put Belgium as a flopper, but their group is to easy to flop in. Argentina has a cakewalk, and I won't be surprised at all if the US pull last place in the "group of death". I really feel bad for Costa RIca, Uruguay, Italy, and England. That rivals the Americans draw for worst in the tournament.

Just going to steal the TorinK template and post some picks after the groups:

Champions: Germany

Runner Up: Argentina

Third and Fourth: Brazil-3rd, Spain-4th

Surprise Dark Horses: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Switzerland, Belgium, Ivory Coast

Surprise Group Stage Busts: United States, England, Netherlands, Ghana

Player of the Tournament: Lionel Messi

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I suppose this is a question that should have been asked years ago, but why is Manaus even hosting games? IT'S IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GODDAMN AMAZON RAINFOREST! YOU CAN ONLY GET THERE BY FLYING TO IT!

Natal to Manaus to Recife. It'd be the equivalent of playing games in Foxboro, then Seattle, and then New York City, all in a 3-4 day span. Such a death trap the USMNT is placed in.

I suppose this is a question that should have been asked years ago, but why is Manaus even hosting games? IT'S IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GODDAMN AMAZON RAINFOREST! YOU CAN ONLY GET THERE BY FLYING TO IT! IT'S LIKE BRAZILIAN PHOENIX, A MONUMENT TO MAN'S ARROGANCE AND FOLLY!

Easy on the Phoenix comparison...

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I say the US advance. Ghana has knocked us out the last two WC's, but we've played them well and first. Portugal is just stopping Ronaldo, who carries them. No one knows the shape he'll be in with a deep Champions league run. The first two games are key to getting points. Germany is Germany, and the US players are stubborn enough to not care about reputation. In my opinion, this is the best team the US has ever had.

I say the US advance. Ghana has knocked us out the last two WC's, but we've played them well and first. Portugal is just stopping Ronaldo, who carries them. No one knows the shape he'll be in with a deep Champions league run. The first two games are key to getting points. Germany is Germany, and the US players are stubborn enough to not care about reputation. In my opinion, this is the best team the US has ever had.

I agree, by far the best US team I've seen, but still it's a tough group, but there's also 6 months to go, and honestly there's alot that can change. It's going to be a struggle, but USMNT aren't strangers to upsets, either.

On a side note, I'll be out of school by June 13th (when the first game kicks off) so I have a legit shot at being able to watch nearly all of the games. Last time around, our school didn't go out a week after the World Cup started, and I missed the epic US-Slovenia match (that's what I told it was).

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Archived