2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that much I am a casual fan, wathc the World Cup and a few MLS games. My team is Red Bull New York the leagues biggest joke so it is hard to get into soccer.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Not that much I am a casual fan, wathc the World Cup and a few MLS games. My team is Red Bull New York the leagues biggest joke so it is hard to get into soccer.

It's fine to not care about soccer, or to be a casual fan. Just don't go along making conspiracy theories. Donovan is past his prime. Is he good enough to be on the team? Sure. However Donavan wasn't going to be the difference maker.

Casual fans may be shocked, but it's not a major surprise to anyone who has watched MLS this year.

1zqy8ok.gif

Additionally, the sense I'm getting from the lineup is that Klinsmann is worried more about being competitive in 2018. This World Cup is more about getting experience for the younger U.S. players.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Additionally, the sense I'm getting from the lineup is that Klinsmann is worried more about being competitive in 2018. This World Cup is more about getting experience for the younger U.S. players.

While his contract does run through the 2018 World Cup and he probably is picturing the core of his 2018 squad already, you better believe he wants to win in 2014 as well. I'll bet that his primary goal right now is figuring out which eleven players are capable of taking down Ghana, Portugal, and especially his native Germany. Leaving Donovan off the roster probably is due to both Klinsmann's present and future endeavors; there's no point in having a striker who is way past his prime on the 2014 roster just because of past achievements, but also he obviously isn't a part of Klinsmann's plan for 2018.

25yzwqg.png

Why are they carrying three goalies? Seems like overkill.

I'm pretty sure it's a requirement to have 3 goalkeepers on your World Cup squad.

If some of us are fearing the potential conditions at Manaus, then I'm pretty sure those three goalkeepers will be used appropriately.

Lando was never the most skilled player and even in his prime, his greatest asset on the field was his pace. Unfortunately, it looks like time has finally caught up with him and he no longer has that burst... Better for Klinnsman to move ahead with what he deems to be his best side than to handicap himself with someone who doesn't bring much to the table.

It's sad that we're saying this about Donovan at age 32 (thirty-two!). Then again, look at all the mileage under Landon's belt:

-Three World Cups already for him

-Five MLS Cups

-170+ goals in all events career-wise including nearly 60 in international play

-Two CONCACAF Gold Cups

-Countless individual honors too much to name all on here.

I mean, what else can Landon give at this point in time in his career?

While his contract does run through the 2018 World Cup and he probably is picturing the core of his 2018 squad already, you better believe he wants to win in 2014 as well. I'll bet that his primary goal right now is figuring out which eleven players are capable of taking down Ghana, Portugal, and especially his native Germany. Leaving Donovan off the roster probably is due to both Klinsmann's present and future endeavors; there's no point in having a striker who is way past his prime on the 2014 roster just because of past achievements, but also he obviously isn't a part of Klinsmann's plan for 2018.

Donovan's not a striker: he's a midfielder/forward hybrid.

Also, if Klinsmann was looking towards 2018, either Sean Johnson or Bill Hamid would be the number 3 keeper.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

After reading all the comments and hearing the commentary from pratically everyone but Landon Donovan himself, I truthfully believe that this could be the worst decision Klinsmann has ever made as a US coach.

Landon Donovan's skills are not what the US will be missing in Brazil, but his leadership, determination, and experience. Not only is Landon Donovan easily the greatest American player of all time, he also has had the experience that the rest of these guys haven't had (other than Tim Howard).

Donovan may have slowed down a step or two as a 32 year old, but older players have known to step it up come World Cup time, especially when it's their last year as a World Cup player. And do we really think with the likes of Jozy Alitdore and Clint Dempsey we stand a chance come World Cup time? Far from it. Those clowns have been disappointing me internationally and at the club level for years.

Landon is the face of the US men's national team, and not bringing him on is a bone-headed move on Klinsmanns part. Donovan has been taking breaks in preparation for his final World Cup, and this is how we treat him? Obviously i wasn't a big fan when he left us during some of the tournaments, but it's easy to believe that he was doing this for the World Cup.

The Americans bringing on an 18 year old come World Cup time over a historically great player during his entire career is embarrassing as a US soccer fan, and my dim hopes for this years World Cup have become even dimer.

We weren't going to get a result against Germany with or without Donovan, so I'm not sure if that's the concern. Beating Ghana requires the services of a trained Shaman, and Portugal is Portugal. I'm not sure we've dimmed our hopes of success.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In an interview from Landon Donovan himself, he stated at the 12 days of May practices for the World Cup he was only able to perform well 3 of those days. Kilns man told Donovan that he wanted consistency from him and since he didnt show it he was not on the team. Simple as that, he's old he cant play at the same level he use to and the other players played better than him.

What makes you think any of these "prospects" are going to be able to play better than a player who has been the shining star for US for 12 years? Prospects are not meant for the World Cup, veteran leadership is.

And I wasn't referring to sentiment, but yes, leadership and experience plays a major factor in winning in the World Cup. Playing against difficult teams isn't an excuse to bring teenagers that'll just end up getting walloped even harder.

Lando was never the most skilled player and even in his prime, his greatest asset on the field was his pace. Unfortunately, it looks like time has finally caught up with him and he no longer has that burst... Better for Klinnsman to move ahead with what he deems to be his best side than to handicap himself with someone who doesn't bring much to the table.

It's sad that we're saying this about Donovan at age 32 (thirty-two!). Then again, look at all the mileage under Landon's belt:

-Three World Cups already for him

-Five MLS Cups

-170+ goals in all events career-wise including nearly 60 in international play

-Two CONCACAF Gold Cups

-Countless individual honors too much to name all on here.

I mean, what else can Landon give at this point in time in his career?

There are plenty of 32 year old soccer players playing at high levels today. Players like Xavi, Stephen Gerrard, David Villa, and plenty of others can be major contributors at the club and national level. What most people (and not suprisingly, Soarindude) don't understand, is that skill outlasts athleticism on a soccer field tenfold. Heck, if you're skilled enough, you could play into your 40s. It's been done. I've played against 60 year olds that have made me look foolish because of their skill; while they can't fly around the pitch like young guys can, they can compensate with having a good touch, knowing where to be, and having a lot of skill on the ball.

The point is, that's not Donovan's game and it never has been... He's never been the guy who will make the deft pass or can create space for a shot by taking a player on. His game has always been getting behind the defense and using his pace to beat them to the goal. I mean, seriously... Count how many of his goals come from outside the box or where he isn't on a breakaway:

When you rely on your athleticism THAT MUCH compared to the amount of skill you have, your career is going to be a shorter compared to some other players.

And no, I don't feel bad for Landon Donovan. He's had an outstanding career and he's represented everything about US Soccer, the good and the bad. Even his playing style (the very direct, up and down the pitch, always trying for the home run ball) is symbolic of US Soccer for the past 40 years... But if we're really going to challenge the world powers over the next 20 years, we're going to have to make the move to a possessive style of play; which is what Klinsmann has been trying to implement over the last 3 years. Maybe Donovan should have tried to work on his skill and possessive game a little more instead of taking a year and a half sabbatical from the national team... And between Howard, Dempsey, and Beasley (*shivers*) the US will have plenty of veteran leadership and World Cup experience without Donovan.

Is it the end of an era? Absolutely. But in both the long-term and the short-term, it's for the best. Look at the 4-4-2 that Klinsmann trotted out in the first half of the Mexico game with Bradley running the attack (and Donovan on the bench)... it destroyed them. It wasn't until Donovan came on in the second half that the game started to turn back into the traditional "Mexico possession-oriented and US looking to counter attack" game that it has been for the last few decades. To be fair, Donovan wasn't the only reason for it, but he's not in great form at the moment and his game isn't suited for what the US is trying to do.

What makes you think any of these "prospects" are going to be able to play better than a player who has been the shining star for US for 12 years? Prospects are not meant for the World Cup, veteran leadership is.

And I wasn't referring to sentiment, but yes, leadership and experience plays a major factor in winning in the World Cup. Playing against difficult teams isn't an excuse to bring teenagers that'll just end up getting walloped even harder.

There are only 15 players that will see the field to begin with. The last 5 or so people on the roster aren't going to see the field anyway.

1zqy8ok.gif

Not to begrudge Donovan, Klinsmann or the U.S. team but there is no way in hell they're coming out of their group. If they do I consider it an upset.

There's definitely a chance that they make it out. Now, I wouldn't bet on it, but it's not like a miracle needs to happen for them to make it to the knockout round. Beat Ghana to open things up and you're off to a great start. Obviously it's going to be a tough game that they could easily lose, but getting 3 points isn't out of the question. Then if they get a result against Portugal they've got a very real shot of getting through. If Ronaldo is off or they somehow shut him down and suddenly getting a draw isn't out of the question.

And I don't care what your chances are of making it out, you don't play for next time when that's four years away. If the US needs a goal late in the game, Landon Donovan is still the person I have the most faith in making that happen. You can't tell me that Wondo or Julian Green give the US a better chance to advance than Landon Donovan. That being said, I hope Julian Green actually gets on the field. In the very small time we've seen him play, he's actually tried to take on his defender and create something. Plus training with Philipp Lahm every day can't hurt. But if you're taking the 18 year old and leaving Donovan at home, he better see the field.

The other choice that I really question is taking Yedlin over Parkhurst. I thought Parkhurst versatility would be a lot more helpful from one of the last spots than Yedlin's speed. I sure hope he doesn't have to play, especially against Portugal, because I think he'll get abused at right back.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Not to begrudge Donovan, Klinsmann or the U.S. team but there is no way in hell they're coming out of their group. If they do I consider it an upset.

There's definitely a chance that they make it out. Now, I wouldn't bet on it, but it's not like a miracle needs to happen for them to make it to the knockout round. Beat Ghana to open things up and you're off to a great start. Obviously it's going to be a tough game that they could easily lose, but getting 3 points isn't out of the question. Then if they get a result against Portugal they've got a very real shot of getting through. If Ronaldo is off or they somehow shut him down and suddenly getting a draw isn't out of the question.

And I don't care what your chances are of making it out, you don't play for next time when that's four years away. If the US needs a goal late in the game, Landon Donovan is still the person I have the most faith in making that happen. You can't tell me that Wondo or Julian Green give the US a better chance to advance than Landon Donovan. That being said, I hope Julian Green actually gets on the field. In the very small time we've seen him play, he's actually tried to take on his defender and create something. Plus training with Philipp Lahm every day can't hurt. But if you're taking the 18 year old and leaving Donovan at home, he better see the field.

The other choice that I really question is taking Yedlin over Parkhurst. I thought Parkhurst versatility would be a lot more helpful from one of the last spots than Yedlin's speed. I sure hope he doesn't have to play, especially against Portugal, because I think he'll get abused at right back.

I'll tell you right now that Wondolowski gives the US a better shot at advancement than Donovan does. I'll take the guy who's scored 5 times in 9 MLS matches every day over the guy who scored his first two goals of the season last night.

Anyways, a win over Ghana and a draw against Portugal won't be enough for advancement, as much as we'd like to pretend it will be. You're gonna have to beat Portugal because they're going to beat a Ghana team that'll have nothing to play for a hell of a lot worse than we will.

If the US wants to advance on 4 points, they're gonna need to hang a 5 or 6 spot on Ghana in that opening match. And that's not happening.

Let's also not kid ourselves—sure, it's easy to say Portugal's "all Cristiano Ronaldo" but come on, there's maybe two Americans that'd make their XI—Bradley and Howard—and those would be debatable.

Is it possible the US gets out of the group? Sure. But I think it's more likely they're effectively done after 90 minutes.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived