College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try Auburn. You get that pronounced so many different ways it's ridiculous. (Let's not get started with Opelika either...)

There's a way other than Aw-burn? :blink:

I've heard aw-barn used mockingly a good bit. Even hear some fans fans refer to them as "the barn".

A lot of rival fans call them "The Barn" and refer to the players and Auburn fans as "Barners". It's meant as a derogatory reference to Auburn's roots as an agricultural school.

Try Auburn. You get that pronounced so many different ways it's ridiculous. (Let's not get started with Opelika either...)

I say it like Johnny Cash does/did... tell me Johnny didn't lead me astray?

Nope, Johnny's done ya right.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Does this pronunciation topic merit it's own thread? I think so.

Regional Pronunciation Guide for Sports-Related Topics:

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/101914-regional-pronunciation-guide-for-sports-related-topics/

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I remember when I moved to Milan and a someone found out I was from California and they asked, honestly, if I knew a John Wilson whom they'd met traveling one time. He apparently was from California too.

A long time ago, I was playing with a band at the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland - backing up Van Morrison and Georgie Fame. Georgie is a Brit who had a lot of success in the '60s; VERY popular in Europe, but most Americans have never heard of him. Anyway, after the concert, one of the saxophonists and I went back to this hotel bar in town and hung with Georgie, Van and his entourage, and all of us sat in with the house band. Georgie kept me well-stocked with beers all night. At one point, Georgie asked me what I did for a living - I said something about working with computers (I was a business analyst in healthcare at the time). Georgie, knowing I was living in Texas, said "I know a guy in Tulsa who's into computers! Do you know Steve?".

Uh no Georgie...I don't know "Steve".

There's a way other than Aw-burn? :blink:

I've heard aw-barn used mockingly a good bit. Even hear some fans fans refer to them as "the barn".

A lot of rival fans call them "The Barn" and refer to the players and Auburn fans as "Barners". It's meant as a derogatory reference to Auburn's roots as an agricultural school.

Yep.

A lot of children and some adult rednecks say "au-bren." I don't get it. either.

My 1st grade teacher - a former Auburn majorette - actually stopped class one day to have a lesson on how to pronounce it.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

You would think Washington would be pretty straightforward but we get a lot of WaRshington.

I've never heard anyone refer to Washington as anything other than Wash-ing-ton. Lol

You would think Washington would be pretty straightforward but we get a lot of WaRshington.

I've never heard anyone refer to Washington as anything other than Wash-ing-ton. Lol

My mother does that. Been driving me nuts since I was a kid.

Warshington. I'm going to warsh the clothes.

Oh - and she was born in Missour-ah.

I hate when people say "Missour-uh". I had a teacher in high school who graduated form Mizzou who would "correct" anyone who pronounced it "Missour-"ee", drove me freaking nuts.

I always pronounce it "Missour-"ee". I didn't know that was wrong.

It's a regional thing. Growing up in Kentucky, I knew some people (mostly with ties to the western part of the state) that would "warsh" clothes or talk about George "Warshington."

It's absolutely annoying.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

It's a regional thing. Growing up in Kentucky, I knew some people (mostly with ties to the western part of the state) that would "warsh" clothes or talk about George "Warshington."

That is funny, because I work at GW and sometimes on occasion my redneck comes out and I will say George Warshington. I am not ashamed of my accent or my heritage, but I love the look on peoples faces when it happens. To me, the most annoying thing is how northerners say Louisville. It is like they are saying Louieeeeeeeeville or louissssssville.

spacer.png

It seems as though there is no rhyme or reason to this pronunciation. I work with a a couple guys that were born and raised Chicago South Side and they "warsh" their clothes too.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

Archived